The Forum Members Yeast Review Thread A - Z

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Last edited:
I guess I'll kick off then with my favourite yeast Wyeast 3711 - French Saison.

This is my go-to saison yeast, it sometimes gets accused of lacking the complexity of the other popular saison strains like the Dupont yeast, but I've never found it lacking complexity, in fact I've done really well in BJCP competitions using this. Plus it's bulletproof, it never succumbs to the dreaded Dupont stall, finishing low everytime. I mean really low, like apparent attenuation in the mid 90s isn't unusual.

For reference, with a 65° mash and no sugar added I had 91% attenuation, and with a stepped mash and a moderate sugar addition it hit 95%.

With this yeast I like to start fermentation quite low, around 20°, then slowly ramp it up. It reigns in some of the funkiness and I think it reduces conditioning times.

I love the flavour profile, the peppery spicy phenols, citrusy fruitiness and even with a really low FG the beers don't feel watery at all. I've tried this yeast with various styles of saison, and it works really well with all of them, from straight forward saison to hoppy US style to rye farmhouse and even my saison/reisling blend.

I love it, definitely check it out if you're into Belgian beers and haven't tried it already.

https://www.whitelabs.com/yeast-bank/wlp028-edinburgh-scottish-ale-yeast

WLP028 Edinburgh Scottish Ale.

This is such a versatile yeast for both English and American Ales, light to dark, and White Labs even suggest it can be used for Kolsch. I've used it in IPAs, Bitters, Barley Wine, Brown Ales, Stouts, Porters and Shilling Ale, which was a Ron Pattinson recipe, fermented clean at 16C with no issues. At the warmer end gives fruity esters.

https://www.whitelabs.com/yeast-bank/wlp028-edinburgh-scottish-ale-yeast

WLP028 Edinburgh Scottish Ale.

This is such a versatile yeast for both English and American Ales, light to dark, and White Labs even suggest it can be used for Kolsch. I've used it in IPAs, Bitters, Barley Wine, Brown Ales, Stouts, Porters and Shilling Ale, which was a Ron Pattinson recipe, fermented clean at 16C with no issues. At the warmer end gives fruity esters.
Never used it but I'll certainly give it a try now athumb..

Fermentis S-04. Been using it for years. Very fast acting in the low 20's. Never had any issues with haze. I primarily brew stouts and IPA's so I couldn't comment on what it's like for other styles.

I usually make beers between 6 and 8% and pitch 18g on the low side, 24g on the high.

Wyeast 1272 American Ale II

https://wyeastlab.com/yeast-strain/american-ale-ii

Another great workhorse of a yeast, geared towards American styles. I've used this in eight brews with notably great success in BIPAs. I usually use this at 21°C to enhance the fruity flavours of big US hops.

Reportedly the Anchor Liberty strain.

With many of the best qualities that brewers look for when brewing American styles of beer, this strain’s performance is consistent and it makes great beer. This versatile strain is a very good choice for a “House” strain. Expect a soft, clean profile with hints of nut, and a slightly tart finish. Ferment at warmer temperatures to accentuate hop character with an increased fruitiness. Or, ferment cool for a clean, light citrus character. It attenuates well and is reliably flocculent, producing bright beer without filtration.

Last edited by a moderator:
Omega Yeast DIPA Ale - AKA Conan.

Have done a few hazy IPAs with this, and it is amazing. Very flocullant, gets up and going in 8-12 hours, and finishes in 3-4 days, although a few more at higher temps for a diacetyl rest is needed. Stone fruit and pineapple notes. Highly recommended.

https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/product/omega-yeast-oyl-052-dipa-ale/

A strong fermenter popularly referred to as “Conan.” Its peach, apricot and pineapple notes are steroids for hops, complementing modern fruity hop profiles in particular. A diacetyl rest is suggested if fermented in the lower temperature range.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wyeast London Ale III

A truly great “english Style” yeast that finishes well but leaves body and smoothness with a nice yeast character depth that adds greatly to porters, English ales, soft American pale ales and hop forward American IPA’s.

It’s one of my house Yeast’s I use allot of.

Wyeast 1056 American Ale

http://www.wyeastlab.com/yeast-strain/american-ale

I've recently pitched this yeast for the fourth time having purchased it in smack packs twice and later on grown it in a starter from harvested yeast.

So far I've used it in a black IPA, a late-hopped IPA and a GH porter - coincidentally I would say these might be my best three beers to date. In addition I have an American wheat beer in the FV at the moment.

It seems pretty versatile - if you check out the website above and scroll down to the "Good for Styles" section you'll see Wyeast claim it's good for a whole range of different beers. I certainly would have a problem using it in something more British like a bitter for example.

One thing Wyeast note is "Normally requires filtration for bright beers" - well, all my beers seem to get a bit of chill haze and it's hard to say with the black IPA or porter. But certainly the IPA could have been clearer - whether that's the yeast or just my process (or the shedload of hops I used!) is hard to say. Oh, and the forthcoming American wheat beer is almost duty bound to be a bit cloudy so that won't help either! :laugh8:

Good luck,

Cheers,

Matt athumb..

Wyeast 1272 American Ale II

https://wyeastlab.com/yeast-strain/american-ale-ii

Another great workhorse of a yeast, geared towards American styles. I've used this in eight brews with notably great success in BIPAs. I usually use this at 21°C to enhance the fruity flavours of big US hops.

Reportedly the Anchor Liberty strain.

With many of the best qualities that brewers look for when brewing American styles of beer, this strain’s performance is consistent and it makes great beer. This versatile strain is a very good choice for a “House” strain. Expect a soft, clean profile with hints of nut, and a slightly tart finish. Ferment at warmer temperatures to accentuate hop character with an increased fruitiness. Or, ferment cool for a clean, light citrus character. It attenuates well and is reliably flocculent, producing bright beer without filtration.
Firstly, @Chippy_Tea , shouldn't this thread be pinned?

Secondly, @Sadfield , have you noticed 1272 to be especially top cropping, i.e. goes bananas and makes a mahoosive krausen? Just asking for a friend :laugh8::oops::cool:

It was but with 5 pinned threads already in the forum and only six reviews posted in this one I decided to unpin it.

Not a review (yet) but trying Imperial Yeast A09 Pub for the first time. Supposed to be the Fullers strain.

I have never seen a yeast take off so fast. The starter was showing VERY active signs of fermentation just 2 hours after pitching. After 8 hours, it looks like egg drop soup:
IMG_4251.jpg

I've used the Wyeast version of Fullers before, and it certainly is floculent, but this Imperial stuff is just going nuts.

Not a review (yet) but trying Imperial Yeast A09 Pub for the first time. Supposed to be the Fullers strain.

I have never seen a yeast take off so fast. The starter was showing VERY active signs of fermentation just 2 hours after pitching. After 8 hours, it looks like egg drop soup:
View attachment 21043

I've used the Wyeast version of Fullers before, and it certainly is floculent, but this Imperial stuff is just going nuts.

Where did you buy it from, as I've read there's now problems getting Imperial yeasts in europe at the mo

Yep, love this yeast. Can take a bit longer to get going, but results are always great.
Agreed, cracking yeast. I’ve got a big APA on the go with bit now. It’s my go to strain for massively hoppy beers

Latest posts

Back