The Great Watney's debate

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'ts just come back to me that I used to describe the Red Barrel I abandoned as tasting like water that had been poured out of an old rusting can. It was unbelievably bad as opposed to just bad like the stuff I think they called Starlight which as a student I sometimes drank on a Sunday night as it at least had the advantage of being weak.

Cheers for that, if I have enough Target in stock that's next weeks brew.

Brewing this one tomorrow. As I am aiming for a beer like Ind Coope draught Burton I am going to dry hop with some Styrian Goldings as I know Ind Coope used to. Yeast is a bit of a problem as I have no Burton style yeast so went for Omega 016 English ale yeast.

I am pretty sure I had a pint of recreated DD a couple of years ago at the NBC in Burton, it was ok - not something to get excited about but it was drinkable.

I grew up in the shadow of the great Eldridge Pope brewery, so was perhaps spoilt in my youth. Never heard of Watneys, let alone endured it,
I didn't see this post earlier.
You were dead lucky. EP didn't travel as far as Southampton, where I spent my formative years, and I didn't taste Dorchester beer until I moved to Bournemouth. My favourite was Huntsman IPA. They spoilt that by rebranding and reformulating as something else, EP, I think. I've done more tours of Dorchester Brewery than I can remember. What a shame the Popes sold out for the big dollar. Still, I think they were losing their way anyway.

I didn't see this post earlier.
You were dead lucky. EP didn't travel as far as Southampton, where I spent my formative years, and I didn't taste Dorchester beer until I moved to Bournemouth. My favourite was Huntsman IPA. They spoilt that by rebranding and reformulating as something else, EP, I think. I've done more tours of Dorchester Brewery than I can remember. What a shame the Popes sold out for the big dollar. Still, I think they were losing their way anyway.
Yeah, it became EP, but it wasn't a bad pint by any means. Hardye Country was my regular tipple. I actually miss the smells and sounds of brew day across the town more than the beer to be honest. Great shame

Yeah, it became EP, but it wasn't a bad pint by any means. Hardye Country was my regular tipple. I actually miss the smells and sounds of brew day across the town more than the beer to be honest. Great shame
This raises the question of whether anywhere thesedays experiences the whiff of a brewery in action or whether the smells are somehow neutralized. It's something I'd almost forgotten but remember as a kid being nauseated but also fascinated by the stench coming from both the Springfield brewery and Banks's brewery Wolverhampton yet enjoying the products of both a mere ten years later.

Latest posts

Back