The Handshake

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thesteve

Reaction score
Why does no one shake hands properly anymore?

Noticed this first in football but now it seems to be creeping in everywhere............I just found out it is called the "homie" handshake!

I do a proper handshake though I must admit I rarely shake hands with anyone.

To save others asking what is this strange handshake you refer to?

It is ridiculous. whats worse is it creeps into football at every level, so when you go to shake hands properly, you end up holding peoples thumbs...

So we have the traditional handshake in the top pic vs the thumb version in the second, i must admit its been a long time since i have shook someones hand in the traditional way but having polish workmates i find myself doing the thumb version fairly regularly as they seem to greet each other and the rest of us in this way on a daily basis.

upload_2019-10-24_17-45-51.jpeg

upload_2019-10-24_17-46-23.jpeg

Really strange with Polish style handshake you mentioned. Polish myself, it wasn't really that popular back in the day, we shook hands in very traditional way.
I still do and believe it should be proper handshake, with firm grip, not dead fish kind of handshake.

My take on it is the traditional shake if very formal and the thumb one is for people you know personally.

Unless it's already in your culture and the norm anything other than a proper handshake is more pretentious nonsense somebody is trying to copy ...
I really hate those half attempts and namby Pamby hand shakes...

I wouldn't mind the players shaking hands using the more familiar feeling thumb style shake. However when they start shaking the referees hand like that too it justs looks like they are lacking respect

The two fists colliding is called "the fist bump" here.
It's also a tie when playing, Rock, Paper, Scissors.

Having played a lot of sports, the quick open-hand smack (head-high or below the waist) and the fist bump enables one to congratulate teammates faster.

I do the standard shake with everyone besides family.

Howie Mandel does the fist bump because of the germ thing.

I shake hands all the time. I guess it depends what job you do. I was always taught it was polite. Fist bumps, hi-fives etc are for enthusiastic Americans, which is all well and good if you're an enthusiastic American.

What's the point in handshakes? It doesn't serve a purpose. To judge someone by a handshake is ludicrous and also, I wash my hands... some people don't.

I have always thought it to be a man thing for some reason. I quite like the traditional handshake but never feel comfortable shaking hands with a woman - don't know why really.

Going back to the clenched thumb thing - the pat on the back at the same time has sneeked in as well I've noticed. It can get to France too!

Trump does the traditional HS but has added the forearm grasp which I believe is a power thing.

Latest posts

Back