The Homebrew company HBC Blonde Ale Mashkit Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benj111

Reaction score
http://www.thehomebrewcompany.co.uk/hbc-blonde-ale-mashkit-23lt-45-p-1235.html

This was my 2nd ever brew and first all grain brew, so I went for a kit as an easier introduction.

What's included:
Hops (only markings on the packet were timings)
Grain (web site lists Pilsner and Carapils but it all just came in a big bag)
whirlfloc tablet
yeast. (mangrove jacks, cant remember more than that though).

I was expecting the Hops to be labelled as to what they actually were, instead they just had timings on. A bit disappointing as I got a kit to learn a bit more about what's going on, including hop varieties.

Instructions:
Very minimal (half a A4 piece of paper)with the helpful "If using the BIAB method ignore these instructions", no advice for sugar for bottling etc, infact the very last instruction is"Add your yeast". I ended up having to go online to get a recipe that was clear to me.

I suppose if you had done this a few time before if would be useful as a reminder, but as someone who hadn't done this before, not enough!

Taste
Just Bottled it after 1.5 weeks brewing and it tastes..... good :). Was expecting more hoppyness but a nice light ale.

Also tried a little experiment, adding the zest of 2 tangerines to a gallon in the FV, that also turned out well.

Conclusion:
Turned out well, instructions were disappointing. I want to learn about what I'm putting in my beer and why, so I'm not sure that I would return to these kits. But if you know what you're doing and want an AG kit, this should do the job.

Latest posts

Back