The Homemade Pizza Thread

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My sauce is simple.

1 tin San Marzano toms
Small bunch of fresh basil
Salt

Blitz in the blender and add to pizza. All the other flavours come from the toppings.
Similar to mine. I sometimes add some garlic and some times use oregano instead of basil.
Last time I pushed it through a seive after blitzing.

David - go mad
and go stuffed crust
Slice small peperami down the middle and place on the edge of the pizza
and then fold the crust over - works well, trust me, but not very authentic

Yeah good canned plum tomatoes and a bit of salt is all I use. I consider basil and oregano as separate toppings.

I'm going to try and grow a lot more sauce tomatoes this year, the few San marzano toms I grew this year made for great pasta sauces. I'm going to try some that are better suited to the scottish climate next year. My juicer has a good attachment for making passata, completely removes the seeds without crushing them

That'd be a fine deep dish sauce too.
Yeah good canned plum tomatoes and a bit of salt is all I use. I consider basil and oregano as separate toppings.

I'm going to try and grow a lot more sauce tomatoes this year, the few San marzano toms I grew this year made for great pasta sauces. I'm going to try some that are better suited to the scottish climate next year. My juicer has a good attachment for making passata, completely removes the seeds without crushing them
Growing tomatoes in Scotland could be a whole another thread -

Whoa, what is this juicer wizardy?

@Hanglow How did the San Mariano’s work out for you? I hadn’t thought of trying to grow them. We don’t have the long season or the volcanic soil in rural Co. Antrim, so I’ve been sticking to Money Maker and cherries so far.

See when people, TV chefs are bad for this mention "good" ingredients...... Frequent ones are good balsamic, good olive oil, good tinned tomatoes, could someone give some examples of these..... It sounds stupid but no one ever tells you which brand of chopped tomoatoes is better quality than the others......

@Hanglow How did the San Mariano’s work out for you? I hadn’t thought of trying to grow them. We don’t have the long season or the volcanic soil in rural Co. Antrim, so I’ve been sticking to Money Maker and cherries so far.
I grow them pretty successfully in Dorset, SW England. They may even be the only toms I grow next year, I love them in sauces, but the lack of seeds and fleshiness make them a great salad tomato for me.

See when people, TV chefs are bad for this mention "good" ingredients...... Frequent ones are good balsamic, good olive oil, good tinned tomatoes, could someone give some examples of these..... It sounds stupid but no one ever tells you which brand of chopped tomoatoes is better quality than the others......

I would say you get what you pay for!

Examples of good tinned tomatoes would be:

110560011_0_640x640.jpg
Pilled-Tomatoes-Single1.png

They grew ok, got a good few kilos off the plants in my greenhouse. Tried a few outdoors and got some but not enough to bother trying them outside again. Space is at a premium in the greenhouse too and I already have seeds for sungold, honeycomb, bloody butcher and rosella.

I've ordered a bunch of Russian seeds for varieties that can set fruit in lower temperatures, real seeds sell some and I also have ordered some from the tomatoeden website, who are based in Poland. They have a ton of good value open polinated/heirloom tomatoes.

As for the juicer, I only used it for making blackberry jam, a rather overpriced toy. But I have found out that it makes a great passata too, so I should get more use out of it now

San Marzano's are a very different beast from most normal toms. M&S were doing them fresh this year. When you slice them, they are all flesh with very little in the way of pulp and seeds. The flavour is individual too and they one of only two varieties of toms allowed on real Pizza Neopolitana. Our local deli does them whole in tins.

Squirrels ate my tomatoes a couple of years ago. The little bastards wouldn't just finish off a single tomato but eat chunks out of all of them. I said the heck with it after that.
I had made two, giant planters from scratch for growing tomatoes.

Slice small peperami down the middle and place on the edge of the pizza
and then fold the crust over - works well, trust me, but not very authentic
It sounds good. People would be impressed with my stuffing ability especially if I ordered peperami from overseas. Stuffed crust is/was all the rage here to get a one-up on the competition. I could do it but if I'm going to stuff something, I'm going to stuff the whole crust and make one of the turnover/calzones I photographed some pages back.
Next time I make the calzone, I'll cut it first. Cheese, sauce and ingredients ooze out like a freshly run-over possum.

My favourite supermarket brand canned toms are Cirio and Mutti which are sold in waitrose and maybe sainsbury. That said all brands are a bit variable and in the case of San marzanos there are a lot of counterfeit/fake ones, same with Italian olive oil and basmati rice.

I bought a #10 can of whole tomatoes from Costco and was going to make some spaghetti sauce and freeze it. Somehow, the product tasted wholly of metal and I had to toss it. Costco has good buyers so I don't know what happened.

Back