The Homemade Pizza Thread

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 61762
Another go tonight...like a tool I forgot to put cheese on Mrs Clints pizza..she likes it!
Thus is mine...cheese added later..as I forgot again!
Mine is....mushrooms,onions,peppers...and...left over chicken tikka dopiaza I made last night..
Fusion cooking? (That is: Italian plus Indian, not "me brain's fused and I've forgot again"). 🙂

Don't forget haggis pizza for Burns Night in two days time!
(haggis pizza is a thing that you certainly used to be able to get from supermarkets in Scotland, don't know if you still can. Classic fusion food....) ...
Nah. I'm pretty sure that in Burns's time they never had deep fat fryers for a proper Scotland experience.

I had a couple quarts of grape tomatoes extra so I added some water and cooked them down for 45 minutes and then used an immersion blender plus a decent amount of salt and reasonable amount of pepper.
My intent was to make tomato sauce, not waste the tomatoes, but the concoction is right in line with what I'm looking for for the square pizza I make.
The grape tomatoes are really sweet which combats the natural acidity of the products I can get in a can here.
No pictures as a bowl of red sauce is about as interesting as a bowl of red sauce.
Going to have to put together a dough soon to try this out.

Oops. I'm forgetting the "International" scope of this forum. My "throw a supermarket pizza in the chip fryer" jibe might have gone over the head of @DavidDetroit and others. When the Scots were in the habit of doing this, then if you were really lucky, they took it out of the plastic wrapping first.

Oops. I'm forgetting the "International" scope of this forum. My "throw a supermarket pizza in the chip fryer" jibe might have gone over the head of @DavidDetroit and others. When the Scots were in the habit of doing this, then if you were really lucky, they took it out of the plastic wrapping first.

You say that like we are finished doing it.....

Tomorrow nights dinner is underway. After pics to follow.

A766C9DD-D011-42D7-94C7-2D5E98645755.png

5F85D9B6-EF23-417A-9566-BC739DA2E86A.jpeg

Ended up doing 60% hydration as a couple of pizza novices were coming round. Definitely don’t see the same spring in the crust. Still delicious though.
View attachment 62118
What do you think is the 'best' hydration percentage? I have tried between 60-70%, I have preferred the upper 60's. Not really sure how far you can go past 70%, before the dough becomes unmanageable.

The likes of a focaccia is great with a proper high water % dough as you dont need to shape it, just let it fill a pan.

I tend to just do pizza at 60%, I used to do 65 as a matter of course but didnt really find any gains of note tbh.

I think a badly stretched base, and im at the hit and miss level, can easily undo any gains on the water front

Oven temp, flour, prove time, pizza style will all dictate what ratios you go for.

Here are a couple of interesting sites that are worth a read on the technical side:

https://doughies.co.uk/blogs/blog/let-s-talk-about-dough
https://www.crustkingdom.com/best-pizza-flour-in-the-uk/
And then ultimately this recipe has proven pretty foolproof for me, using a mix of 00 pasta flour and strong bread flour for a normal oven at 250C on a baking stone. Key I found to a decent crispy dough is absolutely minimal kneading:

https://www.crustkingdom.com/recipe/pizza-dough/

@-Bezza- beat me to it. Ooni recommend 60% because you have a refractory floor sitting at 400C. As that temp drops you need to increase the hydration to compensate (We’re talking Neopolitan style 90 second cook here). When you get down to standard household ovens you need 70% hydration, Flour choice is also critical as the higher the W-number the better it handles higher hydrations. So if your doing a 70% dough pick a flour like Caputo Manatoba.
My sweet spot is 65% Caputo Nuvola but if pizza novices are round I’ll drop it to 60% as I want them to get their pizza off the peel and back onto the plate with the minimum of coaching while they do it.

Latest posts

Back