The Homemade Pizza Thread

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get a basic peel and also a turning peel to start with. Once you’ve mastered the basics the splash out on a nice GI-Metal set.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aluminum-P...d=1&keywords=pizza+peel&qid=1635104097&sr=8-5
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Turning-Sp...ords=pizza+turning+peel&qid=1635103925&sr=8-5
Yeah, will get something cheap and cheerful.

Going to place an order with Adimaria. How well does the mozzarella last? probably would buy it in a larger quantity, and put some in freezer bags.

I have downloaded the PizzaApp, will give it a look.

Yeah, will get something cheap and cheerful.

Going to place an order with Adimaria. How well does the mozzarella last? probably would buy it in a larger quantity, and put some in freezer bags.

I have downloaded the PizzaApp, will give it a look.

I get a couple of kilos at a time, bag it up in 250g portions and freeze it. Lasts for 6+months easy. I’ll often mix it half and half with a buffalo mozzarella, just drain it a couple of hours ahead of cooking and let it sit out on kitchen roll.

I’m doing this dough tomorrow evening for 3x12” pizzas on Wednesday. LSD is liquid sourdough, not the hallucinogenic! Flour choice is a 50:50 mix of Caputo Nuvola and Dallagiovanna. 60% hydration as there’ll be a couple of novices shaping and launching their own. If it’s just me cooking 65% nuvola is the business.

660965B8-06F7-4781-B9E5-9A0684B9FC5F.png

Same as Alastair70 i have frozen the pre cut mozz for months with no ill affects. Got a recent order from adimaria, lots of salami, nduja, wine etc. Everything is extremely well packed including the cold stuff, mine took four days to arrive thanks to slow couriers and the cold packs were still frozen.

I don't want to lower the tone, but I am having an issue with gas...

I just presumed I could go and buy a bottle. But having phoned up a few places, there is a shortage of gas bottles so I can only get a full bottle if I swap an empty one. Also... It appears that a standard red propane tank has the wrong fitting for the ooni. The correct fitting that matches are on tanks of leisure/patio gas. It's basically propane, but for some reason is more expensive.

However, I am struggling to get anything atm. Have never bought gas before, as I have alway barbecued with coals.

I don't want to lower the tone, but I am having an issue with gas...

I just presumed I could go and buy a bottle. But having phoned up a few places, there is a shortage of gas bottles so I can only get a full bottle if I swap an empty one. Also... It appears that a standard red propane tank has the wrong fitting for the ooni. The correct fitting that matches are on tanks of leisure/patio gas. It's basically propane, but for some reason is more expensive.

However, I am struggling to get anything atm. Have never bought gas before, as I have alway barbecued with coals.
Ive got a green patio gas bottle, cost £15 ish to replace if memory serves. I used a small welding supplier rather than one of the big boys. Likely to get more joy that way? Praps look on Facebook marketplace for an empty bottle?

Ive got a green patio gas bottle, cost £15 ish to replace if memory serves. I used a small welding supplier rather than one of the big boys. Likely to get more joy that way? Praps look on Facebook marketplace for an empty bottle?
That's what I ended up doing, found someone selling a 13kg empty patio gas bottle on gumtree. So, problem solved.

Hoping to give it a try today. I ran it for 30 mins, as it says in the instructions, to burn off any manufacturing residue. However, at full power I was only getting it up to 350-ish in the middle of the stone. It is quite windy out, so I think that might have effected the temp.

Have yet to place an order for Adimaria, so first few pizza's will be whatever ingredients Morrisons has to offer.

That patio gas and propane in the red bottle are exactly the same stuff..only difference is the regulator required..and the price.
Some manufactures (Weber for one) say your warranty is void if you use anything but patio gas.

Had my first attempt last night.

I used a beer dough recipe I found online. The only 00 flour I could find was pasta flour, so I used that.

I kept the pizzas smallish. Just thought it would be a bit easier to handle on the peel. Plus I wanted to make a few of them, experiment with toppings, temperature etc. Happy with how they came out. Tasted great, really enjoyed the calzone. However there are a few things I will do next time. Buy some proper low moisture mozzarella and pizza flour. I found that the supermarket mozzarella had far too much moisture. I will also play around with the pizza app, to get different doughs. My stretching could use a bit of work, and I have learnt that the difference between perfect and cremated is a matter of seconds!

IMG_20211030_144901.jpg

IMG_20211030_145007.jpg

IMG_20211029_201622.jpg

Had my first attempt last night.

I used a beer dough recipe I found online. The only 00 flour I could find was pasta flour, so I used that.

I kept the pizzas smallish. Just thought it would be a bit easier to handle on the peel. Plus I wanted to make a few of them, experiment with toppings, temperature etc. Happy with how they came out. Tasted great, really enjoyed the calzone. However there are a few things I will do next time. Buy some proper low moisture mozzarella and pizza flour. I found that the supermarket mozzarella had far too much moisture. I will also play around with the pizza app, to get different doughs. My stretching could use a bit of work, and I have learnt that the difference between perfect and cremated is a matter of seconds!

View attachment 56628
View attachment 56630
View attachment 56631
Great work! Really :hat:
I found some good pizza stretching videos online - but the thing that really helps is practice :-)
I too find the supermarket 'posh' mozzarella in pouches is a bit 'wet' for pizza but the stuff in blocks is very good

Screenshot 2021-10-30 at 15.53.15.png

Any advice regarding a 24 hr dough rise?

Do I rise the dough in the fridge, as its a longer rise? I have been using the pizza app for weights/measures.

Any advice regarding a 24 hr dough rise?

Do I rise the dough in the fridge, as its a longer rise? I have been using the pizza app for weights/measures.
I do a 24hr room temp proof for most bases. You can turn on CT on PizzaApp in Menu-Settings to include a cold temp proofing period if you want to add one in.
The app adjusts the yeast quantities to take into consideration the times and temperatures that your planning.
I haven’t found that adding a cold temp step adds much to the end result personally.

Back