The Homemade Pizza Thread

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have picked up a gas ooni 12", found a reasonable deal online.

Could some advice regarding cheese, flour, recipes, accessories etc.

From what I understand, mozzarella you buy at your local supermarket isn't the low moisture variety that is ideal for pizza making? Can i ask where people get there cheese/flour from?

I will need a pizza peel, any recommendations? And are there any other accessories that I will find useful?

Thanks.
You can use supermarket mozzerella but drain it for awhile first. Tesco sell a mozzerella specifically for pizza that is drier, but it is like plastic.
You can get Fior Di Latte from Adimaria.co.uk, they also sell good tinned tomatoes, flour, pepperoni etc.

For breakfast I patted out and fried an 8oz piece of dough. Then under the broiler.
Dough comes out great after being fried.
fry 1.jpg
fry 3 (1).jpg
fry 3 (2).jpg

Pasties are very big in northern Michigan. I'm not very familiar with them so I checked some images and they look really good.
They sure don't look the same on the inside.
A lot Cornish miners went to the US early 19C, especially upper Michigan Peninsula for the iron and copper mines including some of my ancestors, followed later by farmers who went to lower Peninsula, they took the pasty with them, I’ve heard some of the best outside of Cornwall!

I'm really enjoying the Detroit Pizza posts. It's not a style I know anything about but am definitely going to try out
Cool, thanks. I thought I probably could have cut back on the number but I said what the heck.
The pan is important. In '46, Buddy's Pizza in Detroit began using pans originally meant for the car repair shop, if I remember correctly. It's called blue steel. I have just one that I got from France. The ones I use are fine though.
The cheese is about a 3:2 brick cheese: Monterey Jack
The sauce is on the simpler side: I use only salt, pepper, garlic and blend the canned diced tomatoes.
The dough is a variable that can be played around with.
A pizza stone is good addition.
Oven at 288°C
There's not much more to it than that.

i use the pizza app for recipe quantities. Stick with a max of 60% hydration to start with, it makes launching a lot easier. Adimaria have a great selection of ingredients, flour cheese and meats.
Ah thanks for that. I will give them a look, especially for the mozzarella.

I have picked up a gas ooni 12", found a reasonable deal online.

Could some advice regarding cheese, flour, recipes, accessories etc.

From what I understand, mozzarella you buy at your local supermarket isn't the low moisture variety that is ideal for pizza making? Can i ask where people get there cheese/flour from?

I will need a pizza peel, any recommendations? And are there any other accessories that I will find useful?

Thanks.
Presumably you got a metal Uuni peel with the oven? I also have a wooden one to make the pizza on and launch it then use the metal one to turn and remove. You'll need a pizza cutter but I guess you might have one.

One of my best pizza investments has been a couple of dough trays (large shallow plastic boxes with lids) to keep the dough balls in overnight to prove and relax.

Presumably you got a metal Uuni peel with the oven? I also have a wooden one to make the pizza on and launch it then use the metal one to turn and remove. You'll need a pizza cutter but I guess you might have one.

One of my best pizza investments has been a couple of dough trays (large shallow plastic boxes with lids) to keep the dough balls in overnight to prove and relax.

Not sure... I presumed i wouldn't get a peel. From the description what I get is "Ooni Koda gas-powered pizza oven | Stone baking board | Essentials Guide with tips and recipes | Propane tank gas regulator and hose". So maybe not.

Will get a board, to make the pizza on and launch it in.

I built a brick pizza oven during lock down and do pizzas most weekends in it. Kiln dried birch logs are perfect as they are easy lit and burn hot.
Pizza base I used to make but now buy sourdough ones from a local speciality bread makers.
The sauce I wizz up good Quality tinned tomatoes salt pepper sugar and loads of fresh basil. It freezes well in bags if I use the large catering tinned tomatoes.
Loads of chilli flakes and chicken and pepperoni on mine. My wife and kids love loading theirs with the sweet peppers and pesto.
6C538EE2-0C3C-473A-802B-AF5603BB8548.jpeg
529DE2A2-4197-4CC4-B21D-DFF07CEAD6CB.jpeg

Hi David i love Monterey Jack but it is hard to come by these days in Blighty
It's a good one. I especially like it for nachos partly because of the creaminess. We make homemade refried beans and I deep fry the corn tortilla chips. Can't eat them too often though. Those three things together are a good nacho beginning.
If you were suggesting that you might use it on pizza, Havarti or Muenster with a little sharp white cheddar are good substitutes, maybe even better than Jack.

It's a good one. I especially like it for nachos partly because of the creaminess. We make homemade refried beans and I deep fry the corn tortilla chips. Can't eat them too often though. Those three things together are a good nacho beginning.
If you were suggesting that you might use it on pizza, Havarti or Muenster with a little sharp white cheddar are good substitutes, maybe even better than Jack.
Funnily i manage to get some today in Asda in Fleetwood a small town on the Lancashire coast athumb..

Back