The Homemade Pizza Thread

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive tasted that before in some cans, they add calcium chloride to keep the tomatoes firm and I wonder if it isn't mixed as well as it should be in bulk and some cans get a lot more of it than they should?

Ive tasted that before in some cans, they add calcium chloride to keep the tomatoes firm and I wonder if it isn't mixed as well as it should be in bulk and some cans get a lot more of it than they should?

I'm liking your tomato knowledge!

Definitely going to check out some of your recommendations., thanks!!!

Saturday night's pepperoni.

pizza.jpg

Tried a poolish dough today (still not 100% sure what that really means. Ha).

I mixed 200g Caputo flour, 200g water and 0.5g yeast. Left for 10 hours at RT. Then mixed in 4.5g salt, 220g flour and 47g water and left for 10 mins. I then kneaded, left for 1hr, finally balled at RT for 8hrs.

Came out well, dough was really easy to manage.

IMG_20211121_212709.jpg

IMG_20211121_212744.jpg

I have ordered a few bits from adimaria.

How well does pepperoni, Nduja and Fior Di Latte freeze? Also...I have never used nduja before.... do you break it into small pieces, and use it as a topping. Or, do you spread it, and add it to pizza sauce?

Last edited:
I have ordered a few bits from adimaria.

How well does pepperoli, Nduja and Fior Di Latte freeze? Also...I have never used nduja before.... do you break it into small pieces, and use it as a topping. Or, do you spread it, and add it to pizza sauce?

All freeze really well. The nduja from them is soft, i cut a slice then pinch off pieces from that and put it on the pizza. It pretty much liquifies in the heat and spreads out. I don't add any oil to the pizza when using it as it has such a high fat content. Its also good in cooked pasta sauce.

All freeze really well. The nduja from them is soft, i cut a slice then pinch off pieces from that and put it on the pizza. It pretty much liquifies in the heat and spreads out. I don't add any oil to the pizza when using it as it has such a high fat content. Its also good in cooked pasta sauce.
Thanks for that. Do you portion up the nduja first, before freezing?

Im not familiar with Nduja but use pepperoni specifically for pizza. It has less fat content so you dont end up with a pizza swimming in orange oil

This guy was interesting (err ... "entertaining"), especially for anyone stuck with a domestic oven:

How to Make Perfect Pizza Dough - For the House⎮NEW 2021 - YouTube

However, his "domestic oven" was kicking out 300°C and had something like a 60mm thick "biscotto"-like stone (they ain't cheap!). But apart from "cheating" his instructions for "Poolish" pizza base looked worth a try.

My "domestic oven" chucks out 330°C using a "broiler" option, and I use a very heavy 15mm steel pizza "stone". But it takes 35-40 minutes to heat up for 2-3 minutes of pizza cooking. Not very P.C. after the COP26 talks a few weeks back. And my cooker is showing the stress of dealing with those temperatures. So I looked into @Hanglow's suggestion of an Effeuno oven: How much! £60 ... paid for the delivery! But to reduce my "carbon footprint" (the "P134H 509 with biscotto stone - 2021 model" preheats to 500°C in 15 minutes) and end having to convert my domestic oven into a plaything for Hades residents, I might justify it using my "situation" as reasoning (I should avoid playing with "dangerous" objects, like sharp knives and broiler options). I'll check with the boss.

Last edited by a moderator:
35-40 minutes to heat up for 2-3 minutes of pizza cooking.
I've heard good things about pizza steels. I have a stone right now. I don't cook the Neapolitan style because of my equipment and once the oven is up to temp, I'm able to cook the pizzas one right after the other.
It's cold here right now and when I have the oven on, the heater doesn't go on.

My latest pizzas were just ok...kids really liked them though.
I couldn't find the dough recipe I used in the past so winged it.
This time for two pizzas I used 400g 00 flour about 250ml tepid water,7g yeast sachet,tsp salt,tsp sugar and a glug of olive oil. The dough went together really nicely and was very soft,it rose well and stretched out properly on the work top. I thought it lacked something flavour wise.

I've heard good things about pizza steels. I have a stone right now. I don't cook the Neapolitan style because of my equipment and once the oven is up to temp, I'm able to cook the pizzas one right after the other.
It's cold here right now and when I have the oven on, the heater doesn't go on.
Pizza steels make a remarkable difference to a domestic oven. But after I got it I was finding suggestions that they work best at 270°C or higher. Which maybe a touch hotter than most domestic ovens. Something about the base burning before the top is done? Anyway couldn't find this suggestion just now so not to worry. My oven has a broiler element so no problems at all, but I do have to wait 35-40 minutes for it to pre-heat (and accelerate the catastrophic warming of the planet).

And I was being prone to a x2 exaggeration in my last post: The steel is 8mm thick, not 15mm, which is a good thing because 15mm would need over an hour to pre-heat (thicker steels will cook more consecutive pizzas apparently).

There was a stone in that guy's oven who's video I linked. Based on my "exaggerations", it would have been about 30mm thick not 60mm as I said.

And @Hanglow should watch out if he was telling whoppers about Effeuno ovens earlier in the thread, 'cos I've just splashed out a Kings' ransom for one on his recommendation (despite the Boss saying "NO!") and if he's been fibbing I'll ... I'll ... wag me walking stick at him! Well, in ten years I still haven't spent me accident insurance money, so perhaps there was no point having the insurance? Whereas eating pizzas every day for the rest of me days ... now that's worth while!

Wonder what topping I should have on my Xmas Day pizza?

Pizza steels make a remarkable difference...work best at 270°C or higher. Which maybe a touch hotter than most domestic ovens. Something about the base burning before the top is done? Anyway couldn't find this suggestion just now so not to worry. My oven has a broiler element so no problems at all, but I do have to wait 35-40 minutes for it to pre-heat (and accelerate the catastrophic warming of the planet).
Ours does 288°C but I don't know what average max temps are here. My stove is nothing special.

Placement of the kind I do, NY style and Detroit style makes all the difference. Too high--burn--too low--top doesn't cook. A broiler is a great equalizer if I make an error.

I'm supposed to take an hour to heat the stone. Ideally, I'd like a stone on the rack above the pizza too for more even cooking.

Latest posts

Back