The Homemade Pizza Thread

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20220107_192838.jpg

First out for the youngest...just cheese.

Well I've chucked my usual dough mix in and switched it on...
It's battered the dough round for about 20 minutes and has now stopped. I think it's resting..making an intermittent clicking sound,heater turning on?
Sorry cant advise on that machine, since I use the Panasonic. Pizza dough takes 40 min on that one. Anyway your results look terrific. Beats sodding around making a mess on the kitchen work surface

To be honest...I'm not crazy about pizza. Curry/indian/Asian is my thing....but then I can take or leave Chinese. But...I can cook really good (well ,to me) Chinese takeaway style,but rarely do.
I need to get a new bbq as mine is dead...

I bought a sheet of mild steel via lazermaster. Ended up about £30 (half of which was shipping) and they will cut to specific dimensions, so you can have it fit your oven racks perfectly. They'll even round the corners of you want.
6mm thick is about right, not too heavy to move but holds plenty of heat.

Had this baby under the grill a bit too long but it's part whole wheat which I think helped it catch.

Attachments

• 20220107_181839.jpg
    20220107_181839.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 46
Just taken delivery of a 350mm square 6mm thick mild steel plate. Just wondered the best way to clean the surfaces before I use it? thanks G

The biggest point is to make sure it's completely dry afterward. Putting it in the oven works.
A salt and oil paste (more salt than oil) with a cloth gets off factory residue and after wiping, leaves a film which can operate as a base for seasoning (periods of heat in the oven with a thin film to create a coating).

Doh just read back through a few pages! note to self do less things at the same time. . .

Not sure if this the right thread apologies if not. Our metal non-stick pizza trays are up for replacement, out of interest what do people here use? Pizza trays or a stone? Will be baking in a standard fan oven, suggestions appreciated, cheers all.

Last edited:
Doh just read back through a few pages! note to self do less things at the same time. . .

Not sure if this the right thread apologies if not. Our metal non-stick pizza trays are up for replacement, out of interest what do people here use? Pizza trays or a stone? Will be baking in a standard fan oven, suggestions appreciated, cheers all.
A pizza steel

Will be baking in a standard fan oven, suggestions appreciated, cheers all.
So the options are a pizza stone (I have and like it) or a pizza steel which I hear good things about.
Pizza screens are good and can go directly on the stone/steel. Not much difference if you do use a steel tray to cook in (that then sits on the stone/steel). It's almost a "what are you looking to make?" situation.

I agree less is more for sure. I've stopped using the breadmaker for pizza dough. I think it overworks it and stretches the glutens resulting in a overly chewy end result. I use the 24/48 hr recipe from this book, highly recommended The Elements of Pizza — Ken's Artisan
I was given The Elements of Pizza for Christmas and made pizzas using the 24/48 dough on Friday. It is a great book and the pizzas were good.

Richard,
I see you are pro pizza steel. You probably have one? Have you had a stone too? And if so, what did you notice that give the steel an advantage? My brother is really hot about getting the steel.
I've only just bought the steel to use in my domestic oven. I have a stone in the Oooni but haven't used it in the oven in the kitchen.
I bought the steel because that was what was recommended for use in a domestic oven in the Elements of Pizza book.

I bought the steel because that was what was recommended for use in a domestic oven in the Elements of Pizza book.

That accords with my experience of using a stone in a domestic oven - I just don't think you really get a benefit from it at domestic oven temperatures, you're better off either straight on the shelves or (better, less messy) either metal or silicone.

Latest posts

Back