The Homemade Pizza Thread

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That Tucci show.... Just started watching it after reading on here.

Pizza and pasta from the first 2 episodes.... Amazing.

First homemade pizzas of the year tonight. Cooked on Big Green Egg. Decent results.

20220416_185331.jpg
20220416_190033.jpg

I did too, although not growing them this year. Hopefully will have some decent sauce toms from this lot...

Attachments

• IMG_20220417_112702039_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220417_112702039_HDR.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20220417_112711052_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220417_112711052_HDR.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 13
Enjoying the pictures on this thread immensely and with some envy. Despite trying a few different recipes I struggle with crusts forming on my dough balls while proving (despite covering the tray with a tea towel) and the dough not being elastic enough when I hand stretch it and developing holes. Any thoughts as to how to fix either of these issues?

I’ve mainly used the Pizza Pilgrims recipe and a basic one for Poolish found by googling. I knead using a stand mixer with a dough hook. Does everyone on here knead by hand or can a stand mixer be used without overstretching the dough?

Thanks!

Enjoying the pictures on this thread immensely and with some envy. Despite trying a few different recipes I struggle with crusts forming on my dough balls while proving (despite covering the tray with a tea towel) and the dough not being elastic enough when I hand stretch it and developing holes. Any thoughts as to how to fix either of these issues?

I’ve mainly used the Pizza Pilgrims recipe and a basic one for Poolish found by googling. I knead using a stand mixer with a dough hook. Does everyone on here knead by hand or can a stand mixer be used without overstretching the dough?

Thanks!
I use this method 24 to 48 hour Pizza Dough (Ken Forkish 24 /48 hour dough recipe). It's worked very little and is incredibly easy to make. I also recommend proving the dough in plastic tubs once balled up 👍

Regards...fat,butter etc. I once had a boss who was some big wig in a major UK fat,oil processing company making such stuff as "spreads"...stuff that looked and tasted a bit like butter.
Anyway he told us that most of the stuff they experimented in making was unstable in its construction,too expensive, etc. The stuff they could get to work was most of the **** on the shelves...hydrogenated fats. He also said dogs wouldn't eat it...

It’s my boys last day at home before heading back to uni. The first of 2 wood fired cooks is pizza for lunch. 24hr sourdough base at 62% hydration, oven temp >400C for a 90 second cook. Got some serious crust action today.
View attachment 67168
View attachment 67167
That looks awesome! Which brand of flour do you use and is the sour dough starter a home grown one? Is the >400C temperature the base, sides, air temp or all of the above?! Really looking to up my pizza game.

That looks awesome! Which brand of flour do you use and is the sour dough starter a home grown one? Is the >400C temperature the base, sides, air temp or all of the above?! Really looking to up my pizza game.
Flour choice is pretty much Caputo for most cooks, I’ve got quite a selection to choose from depending on what I’m doing.

The starter is a home grown 100% whole meal rye. V2 died a couple of months back (a combination of old age and a rather funky lactobacillus overgrowth that produced some exceptional flavoured breads before it delivered the final coup de crace). V3 is about 3 months old now and full of the vigour of youth.

Todays dough was a 50:50 mix of Caputo Nuvola and Dallagiviona Neopolitina at 62% hydration, my go to when the kids are throwing pizza. It’s robust enough to cope with a clumsy technique but still perform in the oven. If it was just me, I’d be doing 65% Nuvola.

I’m cooking in a wood fired oven, so precise temps vary with time and at different parts of the oven floor. I’ve stopped using the laser thermometer as I’ve got the hang of the oven but at the start it was invaluable. I’m aiming for 350-400C on the oven floor with a good pile of wood embers on the left side of the oven and flames licking across the roof above the pizza while it cooks. That’s taken a long time to get right which is why an Ooni would have been perfect choice. (That being said, if I was buying again now, I’d buy a bigger wood fired oven).

Flour choice is pretty much Caputo for most cooks, I’ve got quite a selection to choose from depending on what I’m doing.

The starter is a home grown 100% whole meal rye. V2 died a couple of months back (a combination of old age and a rather funky lactobacillus overgrowth that produced some exceptional flavoured breads before it delivered the final coup de crace). V3 is about 3 months old now and full of the vigour of youth.

Todays dough was a 50:50 mix of Caputo Nuvola and Dallagiviona Neopolitina at 62% hydration, my go to when the kids are throwing pizza. It’s robust enough to cope with a clumsy technique but still perform in the oven. If it was just me, I’d be doing 65% Nuvola.

I’m cooking in a wood fired oven, so precise temps vary with time and at different parts of the oven floor. I’ve stopped using the laser thermometer as I’ve got the hang of the oven but at the start it was invaluable. I’m aiming for 350-400C on the oven floor with a good pile of wood embers on the left side of the oven and flames licking across the roof above the pizza while it cooks. That’s taken a long time to get right which is why an Ooni would have been perfect choice. (That being said, if I was buying again now, I’d buy a bigger wood fired oven).
Thanks for sharing that, some very good pointers indeed. 👍

Last year I grew loads of marzano toms in my tunnel and they got used in pasta dishes.
I have been looking at the posts here about polytunnels. I had no idea what one was until I came here. How do you keep pests away? I like squirrels and feed them every day, but I read somewhere that they eat tomatoes.

Back