The Homemade Pizza Thread

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used british bread flour, Asda own brand which is just repacked Allinson's. Made for a very nice pizza in the end.

Is it? The one in the green bag? I use it for making sandwich loaves in a 4kg pullman tin, tear-and-share buns and fruit loaves in 2kg tins (Mary Berry's Hot Cross Buns recipe - but with extra spices - she's a bit mean with hers). It's a very good flour and at a very good price.

Getting it off!! the peel that is :)

I have an aluminium peel and I've never had much success getting a topped pizza to slide off it into the steel. I often build the pizza on a piece of foil put them on the peel and then strip the foil off the bottom of the pizza when it's cooked.

Any suggestions greatfully received :)

Thanks. Aamcle.

I have an aluminium peel and I've never had much success getting a topped pizza to slide off it into the steel. I often build the pizza on a piece of foil put them on the peel and then strip the foil off the bottom of the pizza when it's cooked.

Thanks. Aamcle.
Best way to deal with this is firstly to flour the pizza base not the peel (although some flour will of course deposit on the peel). Then put the base directly on the peel and build the pizza. As you do this, check periodically (starting when you first put the base on the peel) that the pizza moves about on the peel when you give it a little jiggle (for want of a more technical term!) Main culprit for things getting stuck is too many toppings! The best peels are the short-handled aluminium ones that are perforated and thin enough to flex.

Thanks. Aamcle.

Semolina is your friend for launching pizzas. I use that on the peel instead of flour. Comes off no bother.

Thanks. Aamcle.
Start with lower hydration doughs, as you go past 65% they get stickier.
I use Semolina flour, the dough ball gets taking out of the proving tray and dumped into a bowl of semolina on both sides. Initial stretchs are done with semolina under the pizza on the work top. Once it's out to about 10 inches I sweep away the leftover semolina under the pizza and transfer it onto a peel with a little semolina dusting for topping. It gets a final stretch up to 12" after topping and a bit of a jiggle to make sure it's mobile on the peel before launching.

Thanks. Aamcle.
Use a wooden peel for launching the pizza.
Put the base on the peel before loading.

Also if you are worried that the base is sticking even with semolina etc once you have topped it, lift an edge up, blow under it so the whole thing lifts, then launch it.

Yep absolutely! Rice flour works well, too

For small quantities, like dusting a peel to prevent your pizza sticking, you can make your own Rice Flour.

A Coffee Grinder (well cleaned obviously) or a Liquidiser can easily grind up white rice to make flour.

Personally, I also use home-made rice flour to condition my sourdough basket; and if it will pass through a tea-strainer type sieve, it is fine enough to use.

I keep it in a small Kilner jar ready for use.
:hat:

Alternatively if you're precooking the base for a couple of minutes because you're using a regular oven, then freeing the base after the pre-cook means it will stay unstuck once the toppings are on.

Found a wee Italian deli near me I never knew about. A very happy development for me. So it's pizza tonight, with Caputo Pizzeria flour for the dough, San Marzano blitzed up with salt and pepper for the sauce, Fior De Latte and maybe some Nduja on top, and on the side, a Burrata with tomatoes and Basil.

Should have got photos, made a ham and pineapple for the wife and Pepperoni for the kids, but given the proper ingredients, my pizza was almost the traditional Neoplitan, aside from the addition of some wee dollops of Nduja.

Fior de latte is great stuff, and the Caputo Pizzeria flour is also really good. Blew up like a balloon within 1 hour and could easily handle way more that the 60% hydration I used tonight. Will probably do 65 next time.

I finished a big batch of Shipton Mill 00 recently and I thought it was meant to be high quality, it's nowhere near as good as the Caputo stuff.

Made some Keema Naan pizza's tonight.

This has become my quick go to pizza if I fancy something fast. Dough is without yeast, just flour, baking powder, yogurt, water and salt. Makes a really quick ready to use dough.

I just make keema using whatever mince I have to hand. I also find that the standard balled cheap supermarket mozzarella works well with this style of pizza. So I can save my fior Di latte. From start to finish probably takes 45 mins before the first pizza is ready, that includes making the dough.
IMG_20220526_214502.jpg

Latest posts

Back