The Homemade Pizza Thread

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pizza on the kamado - 60% hydration dough made in the bread machine (french dough programme) divided and rested overnight in the fridge. Overnight definitely makes a difference.

thumbnail-pizza.jpeg

Pizza on the kamado - 60% hydration dough made in the bread machine (french dough programme) divided and rested overnight in the fridge. Overnight definitely makes a difference.

View attachment 70378
I struggled to get the Kamado up to a stable temp for pizzas. Mind you, I didn’t try too hard as it gave me the perfect excuse to get a wood fired oven!

I find to get high temperatures you have to take out the coals and completely brush out the ash, then replace and replenish the coals. Then open up bottom and top vents - the temperature will quickly go off the scale. I have to reign it back for pizza by adding the daisy wheel to the top vent, but keep it fully open, then the temperature settles out around 350c (this is a large Big Green Egg)

For steak I just let it go - T-bone 55c for 2-3 hours sous vide, and then reverse seared 30s a side on maxed out grill.

I find to get high temperatures you have to take out the coals and completely brush out the ash, then replace and replenish the coals. Then open up bottom and top vents - the temperature will quickly go off the scale. I have to reign it back for pizza by adding the daisy wheel to the top vent, but keep it fully open, then the temperature settles out around 350c (this is a large Big Green Egg)

For steak I just let it go - T-bone 55c for 2-3 hours sous vide, and then reverse seared 30s a side on maxed out grill.

I tried all that I the past but not to hard. The pay off was buying one of these with the 2020 holiday refund money.
The Gozney is a beautiful oven.

https://www.alfaforni.com/en/product/5-minuti-wood-fired-oven/

Made Lahmacun, "Turkish Pizza", for the first time tonight. Thinner base, less emphasis on the bubbly crust, hot pepper pureee, spiced mince lamb topping. Then sumac/parsley/onion post-bake. It ain't pizza, but it is excellent!

View attachment 71053
I think I'm going to have to try that.
What temperature do you cook it at and for how long?

Charcoal base and a perfect top or cooked base and undercooked top . Help please . Using a morrisons wood fired oven I've replaced the supplied stone with a bigger one and added a cou0le of furnace bricks to retain the heat . Had the stone up to 500 today but it drops quickly .

Bolognaise and chorizo and cheddar. Done in the ooni. Got the temp right and cba with the shape. It’s roundish.View attachment 73360
I'm definately going to get an ooni . The metal wood burning Ovens seem to be a lot more trouble for pizza . Good for other things I would think . Thinking of moving soon so can't justify a dome type .

Charcoal base and a perfect top or cooked base and undercooked top . Help please . Using a morrisons wood fired oven I've replaced the supplied stone with a bigger one and added a cou0le of furnace bricks to retain the heat . Had the stone up to 500 today but it drops quickly .
Only tip is to make sure that there is adequate circulation within the oven!

Maybe take the bricks out ? Only reason I added them was because of the quick heat drop .

Or should I cook at a lower temp for longer ? I was trying ro recreate a classic pizza oven temp bit obviously the stone was too hot and the rest wasn't. New to this and feel a bit lost tbh.

Back