The little book of dreams to be no more.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
No more kids circling the things they want for Christmas.

With online shopping and next day delivery i wonder how long before the stores follow the catalogue.

Argos axes 'book of dreams' catalogue after 48 years

_87673229_argoscatalogue.jpg

"The laminated book of dreams," was how comedian Bill Bailey jokingly described the plastic-coated Argos catalogue.

But 48 years on from its launch, the catalogue is finally coming to an end.

The encyclopedia-like catalogues, the basis of many a child's Christmas wishlist, will no longer be regularly printed by the end of the January 2021.

The catalogue was first launched in 1972 and at its peak was Europe's most widely-printed publication, with only the bible in more homes across the UK.

Comedian Alan Carr famously picked the Argos catalogue as his book choice on Radio 4's programme Desert Island Discs.

"At least 'there's pictures," he said at the time. "I feel it would help me through."

But now Argos says that online shopping offers "greater convenience" than flicking through its print catalogue and no further take-home editions of the catalogue will be produced. Instead, its products will be only listed and displayed online.

The retailer has produced more than one billion copies of its bi-annual catalogue during its 48-year run.

The catalogue was first launched in 1972 and quickly became synonymous with the brand.

The retailer has produced more than one billion copies of its bi-annual catalogue during its 48-year run.

The catalogue was first launched in 1972 and quickly became synonymous with the brand.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53592591

I remember as a young kid in the 70's that the Argos catalogue (and Green Shield stamp catalogue before it) was somehow fascinating and going with your parents to one of their outlets, while they bought a kettle or steam iron or similar, was an adventure.

Nowadays it's one of the last places I would think of shopping, I have probably only had one of their catalogues in the last 5 years, in a way I'm amazed they still going. The only time I have used them recently is when I've done a google shopping search and something pops up on that. I'm sure some people, like my old Mum will miss it, but they can save a heck of a lot of money by not pulping half a rainforest twice a year.

I worked for Argos part time back when I was in sixth form, hated catalogue launch day, and even worse moving pallets of catalogues never did get the hang of using a pallet truck.

That said growing up I can still remember leaving through it, but nostalgia aside I suspect this was a long time coming while I still shop in Argos I can’t remember the last time I used their catalogue rather than just searching on their website.

Ah man. I still get my kids to do that now, really reminded me of my childhood Christmases.

Back