The Mad Russian - Imperial Stout

Discussion in 'Beer Brewdays!' started by strange-steve, May 7, 2019.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating:

1. Nov 1, 2019 #241

Markgee

Markgee

Markgee

It was still really good :thumba:

strange-steve likes this.
  2. Nov 3, 2019 #242

Ajhutch

Ajhutch

Ajhutch

Landlord. Supporting Member

The day has arrived. Here are my thoughts:

- yep, it’s a bit flat. Tiny hiss when I opened the bottle (which was well chilled). Poured vigorously but no foam. Not unexpected after following the thread!
    - as black as.....a very black thing. And a vinuous and almost silky texture as I poured it. A really unusual and exciting visual of beer.
    - the aroma is huge, I didn’t even have to lift the glass up to catch it. Lots of roast, a little bit of chocolate and plenty of a sort of burnt sugar character, in a good way, maybe from the long boil?
    - flavour characters are similar to the aroma. It slightly made me think of marmite (I love it so don’t worry!) which I think is what pro tasters would call umami, which comes from dark malts I think (?)
    - it’s slightly sweet but the bitterness and roast all play together nicely and the final taste in my mouth was a drying bitterness of roast malt, which is great
    - the lack of carbonation isn’t a problem. It isn’t totally flat, it has a bit of fizz in each sip and that’s enough.

Most impressively, this is a 16+% beer that doesn’t have any hot alcohol and barely any noticeable alcohol character at all. You couldn’t fool yourself that it was a 4% beer, but it could easily be ‘only’ an 8%er. That shows you got the fermentation spot on and is a heck of an achievement.

Thanks so much for sending this, I feel very honoured! I wouldn’t want to try and put a score on this because it’s such a unique beer experience, but it was absolutely excellent. Cheers!

3. Nov 3, 2019 #243

strange-steve

strange-steve

strange-steve

Quantum Brewer

Thanks @Ajhutch, I appreciate your review and the kind words :hat:

I think that the absence of hot alcohol is entirely down to the kveik yeast and nothing to do with any skill on my part!

Draft saved Draft deleted