The Mad Russian - Imperial Stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Y5deYuS.jpg

That's 1.024 meaning 16.05% abv and putting @F00b4r closest. I can't imagine it'll budge much more so I'm gonna rack to secondary within the next few days to get it off the trub and yeast cake.

Unfortunately my senses are a bit dulled atm from a cold so I can't really tell how it tastes, but there doesn't seem to be any harsh alcohol athumb..

Y5deYuS.jpg

That's 1.024 meaning 16.05% abv and putting @F00b4r closest. I can't imagine it'll budge much more so I'm gonna rack to secondary within the next few days to get it off the trub and yeast cake.

Unfortunately my senses are a bit dulled atm from a cold so I can't really tell how it tastes, but there doesn't seem to be any harsh alcohol athumb..
Poetically appropriate that @F00b4r gets a couple of bottles of this beast.:beer1:o_O

Well we now have proof of concept for high abv kveik brews, well done Steve and thanks for the efforts. Now, shall I brew a stout, barleywine or braggot?

This is getting a bit tortuous. I really want to find out how it tastes and whether you end up with decent beer at the end of it as I'm really keen on brewing a good strong stout myself. Sort your senses out and let us know for sure!!

:?: In for a penny !!

Well we now have proof of concept for high abv kveik brews, well done Steve and thanks for the efforts. Now, shall I brew a stout, barleywine or braggot?

This is getting a bit tortuous. I really want to find out how it tastes and whether you end up with decent beer at the end of it as I'm really keen on brewing a good strong stout myself. Sort your senses out and let us know for sure!!
The Xmas swap is going to be interesting this year!

Yes, quite. I've put it through the calculation and had to use "apple" for the juice..I get a healthy 54.99%…...
I'm going to call it Killing me Softly...
I wonder what yeast to use...I won't bother with any of that Kwak Stuff I'm going to bung in a two week old mouldy brown loaf...

I racked this morning and it's just as well my fermenter volume was higher than expected because I only got 18L into the secondary. I've never seen so much thick gloopy sludge in the bottom of the FV.

Interesting, Voss goes extremely thick, it was quite disgusting dumping it out the bottom of the conical last week, but I feel it generates less slurry than other yeasts. But then you have a lot of extra "stuff" in this brew.

I racked this morning and it's just as well my fermenter volume was higher than expected because I only got 18L into the secondary. I've never seen so much thick gloopy sludge in the bottom of the FV.
Oh man, tell me about it. The Mexican Mole impy I did was one fifth sludge, and that was only a paltry 12%.

Did you cold crash?

Interesting, Voss goes extremely thick, it was quite disgusting dumping it out the bottom of the conical last week, but I feel it generates less slurry than other yeasts. But then you have a lot of extra "stuff" in this brew.
Yeah not sure if it's the extra fermentables, the large quantity of oats, the fact that I had to stir the **** out of the grain bed all the way through the sparge cos it was so sticky, or a combination of factors.
Oh man, tell me about it. The Mexican Mole impy I did was one fifth sludge, and that was only a paltry 12%.
Glad it's not just me then! I reckon a bottle swap could be in order?
Did you cold crash?
Not yet it's only been 8 days since pitching, but I am ramping the temperature down now.

Latest posts

Back