The Mad Russian - Imperial Stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whilst I'd usually be inclined to go for stronger beer, my thoughts are to go for a larger volume. This is gonna be an epic beer and would be good to have more of it.

4) Remove the DME and reduce the boil time to compensate.

Will probably end up with a lower FG, but I don't think that's a bad thing, doesn't do Trappiste beers any harm.

Ok removing the DME and reducing the boil time for 20L FV volume should give an OG of 1.142. I've chucked in an extra 20g of hops to compensate also.

I agree with the others, make more wort. Have you got your yeast prepared? Attenuation is where most people fail. You're going to need to pitch around 500bn cells.

I agree with the others, make more wort. Have you got your yeast prepared? Attenuation is where most people fail. You're going to need to pitch around 500bn cells.
I'm using kveik yeast which likes to be underpitched, the recommended pitch rate is 1 teaspoon of slurry per 25L which sounds nuts, but I'm not brave enough for that so I have made a 1L starter with it, but still a huge underpitch compared to a normal yeast.

Back at it this morning and a rather interesting update. If you wondered if the reiterated mash is worthwhile as far as efficiency goes, have a look at the following picture. I had estimated a brewhouse efficiency of 60% which would require a pre-boil gravity of 1.075...
uOATEy4.jpg

That's 1.096 meaning all else equal my BHE should be 76% which is crazy for such a big beer.

So this leaves me with a choice to make now:

1. Do I proceed as planned which would give me an OG of 1.168 ashock1

2. Do I reduce the boil time so that I have a larger volume but OG is closer to 1.140?

3. Do I leave out the DME and half of the sugar for an OG of 1.147?

Was that an overnight second mash with the temp held at 65 degrees?

Yep 65° overnight mash, about 8 hrs.

I think that would help to explain the fantastic efficiency you've managed there. Very cool stuff.

I'm going to be try a reiterated mash on my next brew, a Buxton Yellow Belly clone attempt, so was keen to see how this worked out for you.

I can see you've made your decision on this one already but, my two cents, I'd have went all in for a possible 18/19% beast :D

I think that would help to explain the fantastic efficiency you've managed there. Very cool stuff.

I'm going to be try a reiterated mash on my next brew, a Buxton Yellow Belly clone attempt, so was keen to see how this worked out for you.

I can see you've made your decision on this one already but, my two cents, I'd have went all in for a possible 18/19% beast :D
Which recipe are you using for this?

Boil is all done and currently chilling. BTW this Voss kviek is amazing, I made a vitality starter for it earlier and there was visible activity within an hour.

Back at it this morning and a rather interesting update. If you wondered if the reiterated mash is worthwhile as far as efficiency goes, have a look at the following picture. I had estimated a brewhouse efficiency of 60% which would require a pre-boil gravity of 1.075...
uOATEy4.jpg

That's 1.096 meaning all else equal my BHE should be 76% which is crazy for such a big beer.

So this leaves me with a choice to make now:

1. Do I proceed as planned which would give me an OG of 1.168 ashock1

2. Do I reduce the boil time so that I have a larger volume but OG is closer to 1.140?

3. Do I leave out the DME and half of the sugar for an OG of 1.147?
Enjoying this immensely.
Didn't your original recipe look for a (scary) OG of 1165. Why not go for it! Hung for a sheep as a lamb!

Last edited:
Boil is all done and currently chilling. BTW this Voss kviek is amazing, I made a vitality starter for it earlier and there was visible activity within an hour.
Yes i pitched some slurry from a 2 week old starter and had bubbles within 15 minutes.

My first reiterated mash did not go well either. Cant remember the efficiency but only managed a 7.9% beer. The attenuation was very poor though. MAsh temps overshot a lot more than once so could be the result.

All done and wrapped up in the fermentation fridge at 30°C, in about 8 hours I'll give it another blast with the paint stirrer.

I think I misread the volume during the boil so I've ended up with 21L in the FV with a gravity of 1.116, so 3L and 9 points more than expected meaning BHE of 75% :thumba: Because I overshot on volume I'm gonna bung in the DME after all, so after it and the sugar go in mid-fermentation, the OG will effectively be 1.143, which is 43 points higher than my previous highest gravity brew.

The wort smells amazing and is almost opaquely jet black. OG shot (remember this is before the sugar additions):
41jq72m.jpg

Just had a little peek and as you can see krausen is already starting to form so I just give it another blast with the paint stirrer to aerate again and back in the fridge.
ZP0NC4z.jpg

Back