The Mad Russian - Imperial Stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On another note, do you reckon you'll send this off to any competitions?
Yeah I might do. I just saw that the Irish NHC are running a kveik competition soon, but unfortunately it's for the Arset strain only and the winning beers will be "professionally tested" to make sure that's what was used.

How do you plan on carbonating this beer for bottle conditioning. Do you have to add extra yeast ?
Honestly at this point I don't really know. I probably will, but I'm going to see how the fermentation goes first, because the ABV will be the limiting factor on what yeast I could add.

I just checked the gravity this morning and it's down to 1.030 meaning 11.5% abv and 74% attenuation at this point. I wasn't expecting it to drop quite so fast so I'm going to add the DME and sugar today which should bring the SG up to about 1.057.

I had a little taste of the sample and it's intensely rich, roasty and bittersweet. Very promising at this stage.

Last edited:
Yeah I might do. I just saw that the Irish NHC are running a kveik competition soon, but unfortunately it's for the Arset strain only and the winning beers will be "professionally tested" to make sure that's what was used.

The Welsh National HBC has just been announced for September (not date confirmed yet), that would allow you 3-4 months conditioning time. I'd love to see how a beer like this would fair in competition. I'm not even sure what category would enter it in. I guess it would probably be the Experimental category (if it was a BJCP comp). Possibly Imperial Stout but if it's very noticeable alcoholic it could be marked down.

I just check the gravity this morning and it's down to 1.030 meaning 11.5% abv and 74% attenuation at this point. I wasn't expecting it to drop quite so fast so I'm going to add the DME and sugar today which should bring the SG up to about 1.057.

I had a little taste of the sample and it's intensely rich, roasty and bittersweet. Very promising at this stage.
Impressive indeed. I have to say I was concerned when you said you were under pitching. It might be time to add the DME soon to keep the yeast up and about before it wants to flocculate.

[Edit] oh wait you are adding the sugars. Good plan.

The Welsh National HBC has just been announced for September (not date confirmed yet), that would allow you 3-4 months conditioning time. I'd love to see how a beer like this would fair in competition. I'm not even sure what category would enter it in. I guess it would probably be the Experimental category (if it was a BJCP comp). Possibly Imperial Stout but if it's very noticeable alcoholic it could be marked down.
Yeah as long as the alcohol isn't harsh I think it'll be good in the IS category. You have a link for that?

So when I took a sample this morning the krausen had dropped but now a couple of hours after adding the sugar, fermentation has visibly kicked off again, a good sign that the yeast hasn't given up just yet athumb..

Go for it, I reckon you could do 1.200 OG athumb..
Me too, might not be a stout, but it'll be strong. Needs a good think.
Over a good pint.
Just looking at the Durden Park Beer Circle book of old recipes and I see a recipe for Old Burton Ale (1824) with an OG of 1145. It might just become an imperial IPA.

So when I took a sample this morning the krausen had dropped but now a couple of hours after adding the sugar, fermentation has visibly kicked off again, a good sign that the yeast hasn't given up just yet athumb..
What temperature are you at? This might be a good time to ramp up to ensure complete attenuation if you haven't already.

What temperature are you at? This might be a good time to ramp up to ensure complete attenuation if you haven't already.
I was just thinking the same thing, it's still at 30° but might start ramping it up towards 40°.

Obviously, unlikely to be an issue with this monster Stout, but I do wonder what volatiles get gased off by fermenting at 30-40°c.

Last edited:
Obviously, unlikely to be an use with this monster Stout, but I do wonder what volatiles get gased off by fermenting at 30-40°c.
It's a good question, though I've heard people use voss in NEIPAs to good effect, fermented in the high 30s.

Back