The Mad Russian - Imperial Stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know the answer definitively but presumably oxidation only occurs when there has been exposure to oxygen over time. So if you were to very gently pour the bottles into the keg so as not to trap oxygen in the beer and then purge, I can't see it being a big deal.
Yeah in theory I agree with you, though in my experience theory and practice don't always see eye to eye.

I guess you could always take periodic samples from the keg and if the beer is showing signs of deteriorating, just get it down the hatch ASAP.
Now there's some practical advice, I like it :thumba:

Thinking out loud here... do you have any of the 5 litre small kegs like this? You could keep the bulk of the batch in bottles until needed and just fill and force carb small growlers as needed.

Thinking out loud here... do you have any of the 5 litre small kegs like this? You could keep the bulk of the batch in bottles until needed and just fill and force carb small growlers as needed.
Nope I don't have any of those, otherwise that might have been a good idea.
Well I had a bottle last night and it was flat as expected so I'm now seriously considering dumping them into the corny keg o_O

just get it down the hatch ASAP.
... which might take some time considering the strength of the stuff. Had a similar one many years ago, only about 11 % and it took 18 months to carbonate, but it got there in the end and it was worth the wait. Trouble is there wasn't much left after sampling every month or so. My advice would be put it away and forget about it. Try another bottle at Christmas.

You might be right but I'm convinced the yeast is dead, I tried making a starter with some of the reclaimed yeast from the FV and there was nothing even after a few days on the stir plate. Anyway I've just kegged it, so that's that o_O I'll check back in a few days hopefully with a little carbonation.

Well here it is, 3 days after transferring to the keg. And I'd describe the carbonation level as...

3fdmNHW.jpg

... just about perfect. A light sparkle on the tongue which gives it some life and really adds to the enjoyment acheers.

I finally got round to filling a few bottles from the corny keg this morning and I have them boxed up ready to post to @Ajhutch for winning the guess the ABV competition, and @BeerCat and @Zephyr259 for sending me the yeast, and only 4 months late :laugh8:

This was my first time bottling from the keg so fingers crossed there will be at least some carbonation left when they're opened.

I finally got round to filling a few bottles from the corny keg this morning and I have them boxed up ready to post to @Ajhutch for winning the guess the ABV competition, and @BeerCat and @Zephyr259 for sending me the yeast, and only 4 months late :laugh8:

This was my first time bottling from the keg so fingers crossed there will be at least some carbonation left when they're opened.
Sweet, looking forward to this one.

These went into the post this morning so should be with you before the weekend.

I picked mine up from the post office this morning, thanks a lot! Very excited to try it, I’ll have just the one beer for now so I can sit down and give this the attention it deserves later

I got too tempted by a can of Hammerton brewery’s Crunchier (peanut butter and chocolate imperial milk stout). Pathetic really at 9.1% but too much to do Steve’s beer justice afterwards. So it’ll probably wait until Friday now!

I sent a bottle of this to @Markgee and unfortunately he reported that there wasn't really any carbonation left, apparently my keg-to-bottle method needs improvement so apologies in advance. It's perfect from the keg if anyone wants to call round for a snifter :laugh8:

Back