The Malt Miller AG Kits help please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are formulas for working out how much water you need but you need to calibrate this against your system.

Working backwards In total you want:

Batch = say 23L into the FV
Kettle waste = say 1L (you'll want to confirm this for your kit)
Boil off = 4L approx (you'll want to confirm this for your kit)
Grain Absorbs = roughly 1L/KG

So assuming a 5KG malt bill you'll want 23+1+4+5 so 33L total.

This wants to be split between the Mash and Sparge so assume mash volume of 2.5L/KG to 3L/KG.

So 15 Litres to mash in and 18 Litres to Sparge with.

This is just a guideline and as you do more you'll get an idea what you need to hit your numbers.

I use Malt Miller AG recipe kits alot (currently got their American Stout, Two Hearted Clone on the go, both are delicious, and their Thornbridge Chiron clone in the fermenter) and always had great results with them. I just bung the recipe in Brewfather to get water volumes. I guess at the weights of the grain bill to get the results they quote on the recipe but ultimately doesn't matter, just using Brewfather for water volumes. then mash, washout, sparse and boil. Every beer has turned out great so far.

The beauty of BIAB is it can be very simple. You don’t even need to sparge. So if you merely put your grain in a bag, mash in roughly 33 litres of water and remove your bag you will have delicious beer. For the first AG You don’t need to know exactly what losses you get from where, just that there will be losses. Then enjoy your beer and do it again with more confidence.

Don't get too fixated on water volume, I do BIAB and I've never worked out my volumes for the mash, I just add enough water to make a thinish gloopy mixture when stirred in with the grains.

It's easy to over-complicate brewing , some people like that and I've no doubt it produces better beer, but it's not "all or nothing", you can keep it simple.

Hi, I've done loads of kits, done a couple of partial mashes and now I have bought 3 AG kits from The Malt Miller

Summertime KolshView attachment 42400

Soophop American Style Lager
View attachment 42401
Punk IPA 2010 (1 Gallon)
View attachment 42402
I understand the instructions but I don't know how much water to use, can someone help me please.
I have a 36 litre pot, a 30 litre pot and an 11 litre pot for the 1 gallon kit. I intend to do biab so I need to know the mash volume, the sparge volume and what the boil volume should be. I know I could possibly just ask The Malt Miller but I thought the answers might help someone else as well.
I like to keep things simple, I measured 30 ltr water into BIAB kettle made depth rod marked to that point and thereafter filled with garden hose ( no buckets to lift). I find this gives me approx 21.5 LTR in fermenter ( one can add extra water if required).

Back