The Malt Miller AG Kits help please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Libigage

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi, I've done loads of kits, done a couple of partial mashes and now I have bought 3 AG kits from The Malt Miller

Summertime Kolsh
IMG_20210302_153102.jpg

Soophop American Style Lager
IMG_20210302_153050.jpg

Punk IPA 2010 (1 Gallon)
IMG_20210302_153117.jpg

I understand the instructions but I don't know how much water to use, can someone help me please.
I have a 36 litre pot, a 30 litre pot and an 11 litre pot for the 1 gallon kit. I intend to do biab so I need to know the mash volume, the sparge volume and what the boil volume should be. I know I could possibly just ask The Malt Miller but I thought the answers might help someone else as well.

Attachments

• IMG_20210302_153117.jpg
    IMG_20210302_153117.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 51
You need to know your personal set up. Eg you need to know your boil off rate, your absorption loss, your boiler trub loss etc. You can then work out your own volumes.

Do you have any software you use? I would suggest setting up a profile in something like brewfather, and then tuning than over time. There might be a default BIAB profile on brewfather already I'm on sure. Otherwise I'm sure Google will have some BIAB levels, or someone on here will be along with their set up.

Wow, that's gone right over my head. I think I'm in too deep. Too late now. I'm sure it will turn out as beer of some sort. Thanks anyway

Well good question

I assume they mean the volume they are quoting is the volume for bottling

Stating the obvious the volume at the start of the boil will need to be more than the bottling volume because you will lose some to trub (protein molecules and hop debris that will settle at the bottom of your boiler). Only by trial and error will you learn this. Do you know your boil off rate?

RGeats post above this is spot on

Brewfather will give you the answers and you can use it for free

Wow, that's gone right over my head. I think I'm in too deep. Too late now. I'm sure it will turn out as beer of some sort. Thanks anyway

Whatever you do, make sure you take lots of notes of volumes temperatures etc. That way you will be able to work out which volumes you got right and which you need to change next time. As you say, you'll make beer! But you can learn over time to make better beer!

Bottling vol = Pre boil volume - volume lost through evaporation and - volume lost to trub

Pre boil volume = total of mash & sparge water less that which is absorbed by the grain and is thrown away when you dump your grains

Just put this in brewfather
Does it look OK, not coming out the same as the Malt Miller figures
Screenshot_20210302_170625_com.warpkode.brewfather.jpg

View attachment 42416
Which of the three recipes have you put in bf?

Where is the difference - can't see image clearly

In Bf go to the icons at the top - there is one that looks like a square with an arrow coming out of the top, click this and it will create you a link to post on here - sorry to get too geekish

The malt miller has excellent customer service and I'm sure would be happy to happy to help out if you phone or e-mail.

Which of the three recipes have you put in bf?

Where is the difference - can't see image clearly

In Bf go to the icons at the top - there is one that looks like a square with an arrow coming out of the top, click this and it will create you a link to post on here - sorry to get too geekish
Soophop American Style Lager
It won't let me share
Screenshot_20210302_172911_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
Screenshot_20210302_172911_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

I asked Malt Miller pretty much the same question and got a very unhelpful answer. I’m just going to try and work it backwards if I can. I have notes from previous brews so that should help. But it does make it more entertaining for us noobs lol

Working it all out is part of the process of getting to know your system. You can find general figures on the net, then it is about tuning for your own equipment.

Don't forget to account for the hour wort taking up more volume than the cold wort.

As I said earlier, make sure you have calibrated your equipment to make sure you know the volumes accurately, and take lots of notes when you brew, it should get easier each batch. athumb..

Any specifics ask on here, but otherwise you'll have a much better knowledge of the process by working it out yourself.

I asked Malt Miller pretty much the same question and got a very unhelpful answer. I’m just going to try and work it backwards if I can. I have notes from previous brews so that should help. But it does make it more entertaining for us noobs lol
Theres a video that explains it if you need it

View attachment 42416
Those 3 recipes are actually written and shared by other brewers, they're not TMM recipes, so there can be variances depending on how that customer has worked out their figures, or from using different equipment or even different software.

This thread is a difficult read!

In my opinion, when you do your first AG brew, you want an approximate total water volume. People who make 5 gallon/23 litre batches tend to use a total of 31 to 33 litres. That's mash and sparge added together.

First time, be conservative. If you end up with less than 23 litres, you can add water to the FV. So maybe use 31 litres. The amount you need to add to the FV is the amount you need to add to the total water next time. If you are over 23 litres, reduce the total water next time.

Most recipe batch sizes are for the volume in the FV, not the final packaged volume.

Any Tom, Dick or Harry can out up a recipe on the MM site, I think, so be a bit careful where you get your recipes from.

Man dont worry keep it simple I'm only 7 brews in on ag method and on the first I nearly cracked
Loads of youtube vids till u find one that u understand
Try basic all grain brewing
Then just go for it heat the water maybe 20 or 25 litres
Mash for 1hr at desired temperature mine is 67
Drain
Sparge
Boil
Add hops
Relax u will master it

Back