"The man that isn’t jolly after drinking Is just a driveling idiot, to my thinking."

Discussion in 'Brewing Books & Publications' started by Thodd, Dec 15, 2016.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating using the link above.
  1. Dec 15, 2016 #1

Thodd

Thodd

Thodd

I've acquired a great book in pdf format called "Beer: Tap into the Art and Science of Brewing" which in my early stages of reading it - I can highly recommend.

I'm only about 30 or so pages in and the section on Beers history is fascinating.

It explains that originally Ale was brewed in England and flavoured with all sorts of wonderful herbs and spices, with each pub having its own unique secret reciepe. It would brew an expensive strong beer from the first running's and a weaker cheaper beer from the second running's. The Germans then started cultivating Hops to use for flavouring and this drink became known as Beer.
    The British being a generally xenophobic lot back in the 1400's were massively against this Hop flavour and saw it as the domain of foreigners to use this "weed"

It took the British nearly 150 years to realise that Hops tasted better than dandelions and grass and eventually the names of "Ale" and "Beer" became interchangeable.

Another interesting fact:

During the 2nd world war the U.S. government offered this advice in a booklet for their servicemen stationed in the United Kingdom: “the usual British drink is beer, which is not an imitation of German beer, but ale. The British . . . can hold it. Beer is now below peacetime strength, but can still make a man’s tongue wag.”

I've yet to get to the guts of the book regarding modern brewing - but so far so good. I can heartily recommend.

I can upload it to this post (its about 5mb) but not sure if there are any copy write laws being broken if I do - perhaps an admin could advise?
    Alternatively I think google would probably provide the right path...........

TheRedDarren likes this.
  2. Dec 15, 2016 #2

Dutto

Dutto

Dutto

Dutto Supporting Member

The June referendum proved that there's no change there then! :whistle: :whistle:

Thodd and TheRedDarren like this.
  3. Dec 15, 2016 #3

Covrich

Covrich

Covrich

Sith Acolyte Moderator

I know its tounge in cheek but it will likley provoke another debate and can we not have another thread ruined by a political argument where people totally unwilling to accept another persons point of view without being tarnished a drone sheep or a xenophobic racist.

4. Dec 15, 2016 #4

pms67

pms67

pms67

Senior Member Supporting Member

Yeah Dutto, stick to something we can all agree on,like beer is drinkable after 1 week, or is it palatable 😂👍

Dutto likes this.
  5. Dec 15, 2016 #5

IainM

IainM

IainM

Syphon-sucking bag squeezer Supporting Member

Yes, distributing pirated material is illegal. More to the point, if you'd written a book would you want it handed out to your potential customers for free?

6. Dec 15, 2016 #6

Chippy_Tea

Chippy_Tea

Chippy_Tea

Administrator. Administrator

Ian has hit the nail on the head.