The Mixed Fermentation Thread

Discussion in 'Grain, Hops, Yeast & Water' started by JFB, Jan 21, 2019.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating:

1. Oct 27, 2019 #201

Leon103

Leon103

Leon103

Landlord.

Yes that's it. I guess storing in plastic is the cause

2. Oct 27, 2019 #202

Ajhutch

Ajhutch

Ajhutch

Landlord. Supporting Member

That’s probably it. I’ve left sours in a bucket for 3 months before transferring to BetterBottles or glass and been ok, but may just have been lucky.

3. Oct 27, 2019 #203

BeerCat

BeerCat

BeerCat

Landlord.

East and West Grimblestbottom under the rye
    This is one demijohn of my Flanders red. Not had a taste yet but really itching to. The pellicle forming on another one is quite different to this. Amazing watching this stuff grow but excruciating waiting to taste it. This looks almost like a SCOBY in my vinegar.
    DSC_2020.JPG

geigercntr and Leon103 like this.
  4. Oct 30, 2019 #204

Mrobson

Mrobson

Mrobson

The other weekend I bottled a ten month old kettle sour that had a few bottles worth of Gueze Boon dregs added. I’ve added the slurry to another brew that has fermented out with dregs from a ‘Little Earth Project’ beer. I know airlock activity is not a sign of fermentation but there seems to be no pressure in the carboy (the water is level in the airlock) Should I be worried by this or is it normal?

5. Oct 30, 2019 #205

geigercntr

geigercntr

geigercntr

Miembro senior

I'd say it's likely not a huge issue. Things can be slow to get going with mixed fermentation beers. You say the slurry was added to a beer already fermented with dregs from an LEP beer? Did you check the gravity of that beer? It's entirely possible that there's no food left for the Boon bugs to munch on. LEP dregs will have a variety of bugs which could well have eaten all the consumables.

Plus I imagine that the pH of the LEP beer has dropped a fair bit. This could in principle slow the Boonbugz from getting started too...

If it were me, I'd get a gravity reading and keep it O2 free (jet some CO2 into the headspace) and let it sit a bit.

Further down the road, I might consider making up and adding a litre or so of wort to see if anything starts moving...

BeerCat, Mrobson and Sadfield like this.
  6. Oct 30, 2019 #206

Mrobson

Mrobson

Mrobson

I appreciate the reply mate, thanks

The brews only a month old if that, LEP said they use Belle Saison then secondary in their wooden barrel which they use on rotation. There must be a bit of sugar left for the Boon slurry surly?

I need to get a turkey baster so I can draw a sample out of the carboy, I’ve no source of co2 to purge with after removing the bung tho. How essential is expel the o2?

7. Oct 30, 2019 #207

geigercntr

geigercntr

geigercntr

Miembro senior

No probs. There will probably be something knocking about in there, but it's impossible to know without a gravity reading I'm afraid
    I'd say that for mixed fermentation beers, O2 is your biggest issue (whereas for clean beers, infection is probably your biggest issue). If you've no way to pop CO2 in, now could be a good time to add the wort I mentioned.

That'll kill 2 birds with one stone: make sure there's definitely something for the BoonBoiz AND as the wort ferments it'll release CO2 and fill your headspace.

Acetobacter turns beer to vinegar, but isn't a fan of the ol' anoxic!

Afterthought: but if it's only a month old, there's every chance it's just taking it's time. For IPA, you use a watch, for sour beer a calendar :)

Mrobson likes this.
  8. Oct 30, 2019 #208

Sadfield

Sadfield

Sadfield

Landlord.

A little oxygen will help if trying to replicate a barrelled aged beer. Every Little Earth Project beer I've had, has a noticeable acetic character to it.

Mrobson and geigercntr like this.
  9. Oct 30, 2019 #209

Mrobson

Mrobson

Mrobson

Bit the bullet and took a sample, it’s at 1.010 so plenty of sugars left. I gave it a gentle swirly before replacing the bung and airlock too, seems to of released some co2 because according to the water levels I have some pressure and even a couple of gurgles in the last five mins I’ve been watching it. Sample was tasty too, need to hide it for a few months and forget about it

273ED752-FD00-4D27-928F-0D2F81995CDA.jpeg 0DE56946-12D5-435A-AB7D-20C680D4424B.jpeg

geigercntr likes this.
  10. Oct 30, 2019 #210

geigercntr

geigercntr

geigercntr

Miembro senior

By far the most difficult part of the entire operation!

11. Oct 30, 2019 #211

BeerCat

BeerCat

BeerCat

Landlord.

East and West Grimblestbottom under the rye
    I have some kveik infected with acetobactor. I'm wondering if it's any good for sours or should I ditch it. I might see how long it takes to make vinegar with.

12. Nov 3, 2019 #212

Sadfield

Sadfield

Sadfield

Landlord.

Transferred 12L of tart Saison from my Solera Project keg, into another Corny for bottling when time permits. This was then replaced with 12L of an Orval-esque recipe that has been fermenting in primary for a week with WLP530 and the dregs from Orval, Boon Gueuze and Burning Sky’s Saison À La Provision. I'll leave this for at least 6 months, then remove and replace 2/3rds with something else.

MORPH 4.

Batch Size: 12.5L

Estimated OG: 1.055 SG

Estimated Colour: 19.6 EBC

Estimated IBU: 24.5 IBUs

Mash: 75 Minutes @ 65°C

Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Mash.

Maris Otter (5 EBC) – 64 %

Extra Pale Planet ( 3.0 EBC) – 10%

Caramunich (100.5 EBC) – 5%

Aromatic Malt (150 EBC) – 8%

Wheat Malt (3 EBC) – 5%

Sugar (Beet) – 0 EBC) – 8% add in the boil.

Boil

First Gold [7.45%] – 7g @ First Wort (9.4 IBUs)

First Gold [7.45%] – 16g @ 30.0 min (15.1 IBUs)

Protofloc – ½ Tablet @ 15.0 min

Sugar (Beet) – 225g @ 10 min.

First Gold [7.45 %] – 35g @ 0.0 min (0 IBUs)

13. Nov 4, 2019 #213

SteveH

SteveH

SteveH

Regular.

How do you decide when to package a beer that's bretted in secondary?

I added a vial of WLP650 (Brett B) and the dregs from an Orval and a wild beer-co bottle to a gallon (secondary) a month ago, it fizzed and seemed to be fermenting for a week or two, but it's looking done now - do I take a sample then another in a few days, and bottle if the FG is static, or wait several weeks to check the FG?

Also how to calculate priming sugar, I'm assuming go for lower than normal sugar since the brett may generate additional Co2 compared to a clean sacch fermented beer?

14. Nov 4, 2019 #214

Sadfield

Sadfield

Sadfield

Landlord.

I normally leave my bretted beers for at least 6 months (the one mentioned above is 11 months old), so there's no real determining factor other how it tastes. The FG is pretty stable and predictable after such time in regards to bottling.

After a month, I would probably take a single gravity read and give it a taste. If there's a significant drop from primary FG and you're happy with the flavour, then bottling should be fine. I tend to calculate carbonation to a conservative level to allow a little wiggle room around 2-2.5 vols, either by priming or force carbing and bottling with a beer gun.

Pavros and SteveH like this.
  15. Nov 8, 2019 #215

Pavros

Pavros

Pavros

Landlord.

I've been following this thread with interest and think I'm now ready to 'have a go'. I would be grateful if the experts could pitch in with any ideas on the following:

I was thinking about making up a Brewferm kit as normal and when primary fermentation has finished, bottle most of it but also transfer about 4.5 litres into a demi-john. Then add the dregs of a couple of bottles of Orval and Rodenbach Grand Cru (and perhaps a Boon Geuze as well if I can buy one) to the demi-john. Would the dregs be sufficient to restart fermentation or would I have to pitch a pack of brett yeast as well?

16. Nov 8, 2019 #216

Zephyr259

Zephyr259

Zephyr259

Landlord.

In theory the dregs alone should be enough to do some work but you could always through the bottle dregs into a starter for a few days, that's what I did. When I eventually pitched it, just like you plan, into half a batch post-fermentation I did so along with a commercial pitch of brett but it soured no bother at all so the dregs had plenty bacteria active.

Pavros likes this.
  17. Nov 8, 2019 #217

Pavros

Pavros

Pavros

Landlord.

Excellent - thank you.
    If it doesn't restart, then I can always buy a pack to throw in after a week.

18. Nov 8, 2019 #218

geigercntr

geigercntr

geigercntr

Miembro senior

@Pavros I've done pretty much what you've suggested with really good results. For me, Orval and Boon have both given really good results :thumba:

Pavros likes this.
  19. Nov 8, 2019 #219

Ajhutch

Ajhutch

Ajhutch

Landlord. Supporting Member

I’m pretty sure Rodenbach pasteurise their beers, or at least the ‘standard’ ones like Grand Cru, so that wouldn’t contribute. But otherwise as others have said your plan is a good one, a great way to dip your toe in mixed ferm, good luck!

Pavros likes this.
  20. Nov 9, 2019 #220

Leon103

Leon103

Leon103

Landlord.

Tasted the sample bottle of my sour beer and it carbed up well but unfortunately the solvent taste and smell was present. Gutted because there was a massive tartness to the beer.