The Mixed Fermentation Thread

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bottling day here, having taken 9L out of my Solera Keg which has been doing its thing for 13 months. And also a Brett C Stock Ale that I brewed 16 months ago, which was mainly mild malt and first gold hops. The beauty of slow fermentation is that they've both benefitted from being neglected for so long. One small upside from 2020. This time I've primed them both with sugar and seeded with Lalvin 1118 wine yeast, as opposed to force carbonation, to see what difference it makes.

Nice, do you top this up with fresh wort?
I will be sometime over the next two weeks, hopefully. I tend to part ferment the wort first, usually just for a couple of days to drop most of the trub before I transfer. Plus it's a way of adding another strain of sacch to what's already in the keg.

I will be sometime over the next two weeks, hopefully. I tend to part ferment the wort first, usually just for a couple of days to drop most of the trub before I transfer. Plus it's a way of adding another strain of sacch to what's already in the keg.
Interesting, so in theory this can be kept going indefinitely, is that the idea?

Interesting, so in theory this can be kept going indefinitely, is that the idea?
In theory, if the yeast and bacteria play along and keep producing something drinkable. I'm not sure what affect the accumulation of dead cells and trub will have. Saying that, I started it in November 17 and its just starting to get the depth of acidity and ageing I was hoping for, in the fourth beer I've drawn off. So, possibly good for a few years yet.

In theory, if the yeast and bacteria play along and keep producing something drinkable. I'm not sure what affect the accumulation of dead cells and trub will have. Saying that, I started it in November 17 and its just starting to get the depth of acidity and ageing I was hoping for, in the fourth beer I've drawn off. So, possibly good for a few years yet.
That's really interesting 👍

Funny enough, last night I tried for the first time the spontaneous fermentation beer that I started sorted this thread on. Not far off two years ago.
Sadly a rooky mistake ment that something had laid little grubs in the bubbler and they maid there way into the beer.
Basically it tasted of a rather boring clean ale.
No sour flavours good or bad. Just as clean as they come. Bit of a anti climax from a two year wait🤣
PXL_20201222_084836119.jpg

Funny enough, last night I tried for the first time the spontaneous fermentation beer that I started sorted this thread on. Not far off two years ago.
Sadly a rooky mistake ment that something had laid little grubs in the bubbler and they maid there way into the beer.
No sour flavours good or bad. Just as clean as they come. Bit of a anti climax from a two year wait🤣
View attachment 37966
Same I think I only joined the forum as you finished up. Looking forward to seeing some of your beer. 👍👍

Good to see you back @JFB, you still brewing?
Yes mate, still brewing.
I work in a brewery now(as a chef not brewer) so get lots of free beer and get to pest the brewers 🤣
I've got a nice Flanders red that I aged on locally foraged cherry's you may be interested in tryingathumb..

View attachment 37966
Not a two year wait, but this was my experience with spontaneous fermentation, also. Goes to show how much the brewing environment, fermentation vessels and wooden barrels have an influence.

Not a two year wait, but this was my experience with spontaneous fermentation, also. Goes to show how much the brewing environment, fermentation vessels and wooden barrels have an influence.
Yea I'm not quite sure weather to bother again or not?
Maybe add some bottle dregs as well.
Seems its all about calling it a 'spontaneous' but it's not really 🤷🏼‍♂️

Yes mate, still brewing.
I work in a brewery now(as a chef not brewer) so get lots of free beer and get to pest the brewers 🤣
I've got a nice Flanders red that I aged on locally foraged cherry's you may be interested in tryingathumb..
Ooh absolutely, that sounds amazing and if it's half as good as your other Flanders it'll be great acheers.

Wyeasts Saison brett blend. Pillsner, a little rye, caramalt and wheat.
Cascade, aged four months.. dry hoped with cascade.
Really impressed. Dry tart, sour grapefruit and a nice subtle funk at the end👍
PXL_20201222_181726457.jpg

Yea I'm not quite sure weather to bother again or not?
Maybe add some bottle dregs as well.
Seems its all about calling it a 'spontaneous' but it's not really 🤷🏼‍♂️
I see spontaneous as meaning unplanned, unpredicted. Its a lottery whether you end up with something safe to drink, let alone something interesting to drink. Definitely, something I'll try again though. I ended up reusing the yeast I captured in a pale ale, as although clean, it did have its own character.

As we're on furlough.. the second beer for tonight was a Orval clone brewed with Belgium Ardennes yeast, whisky barrel chunks.
Then I dropped in a sachet of Omega 'all the bretts' and things went a little crazy!
It really is all about the funk this one. Probably opened the fermenter one two many times as the Brett acid is right at the top for my taste.
I'd be keen to try this blend again but brew in glass and see what else is has to offer. Because it's a tad funky right now😱🤣
PXL_20201222_185927689.jpg

Brewing my yearly Flanders red this evening.
I normally use Wyeast or whitelabs for yeast.
Decided I'd mix things up bought a sachet of 'sour batch kidz'.
Thing I didn't realize was that it hasn't any pediococcus..
I normally add about 15 ibu's. So I'll need to wind this down.
Also read it can be ready in six to nine months. I see a few on here have used SBK.
What kind of time scale have people had??

Back