The most ridiculous piece of beer-drinking trivia

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moto748

Landlord.
Reaction score
While back I was thinking, if someone said to you, there's a jug of beer and a bottle, pour yourself one, I'd hold the glass in my dominant hand (I'm left-handed), and the jug in right hand. Of course, I could do it either way, I tried. But one way certainly felt slightly more natural, and that was glass in the dominant hand. And I wondered if other posters found the same.

But I didn't post it cos I decided it was too boring! :D

But then tonight I was pouring myself a commercial beer from bottle straight to glass (I always pour my own beer into a jug first from the bottle), and I thought, does the same apply?

Reader, it didn't! I found it slightly better this time to have the bottle in my dominant left hand and the glass in my right.

Yawn. 😴

A drinker with one arm could lie on his back holding the jug between his feet and pour the beer with his only arm having removed the crown cap with his teeth.
While a one-legged woman on a full bus would have to hop while trying to actually get some of the beer in the jug without splashing her fellow passengers.

ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz........

Last edited:
When I was just eighteen I got a holiday job in a pub. Sometimes folk would ask for a Guinness and cider. I developed the knack of opening a half-pint bottle each of the Guinness and Stongbow, holding bottle 1 between thumb and forefinger of my right hand, bottle 2 between forefinger and middle finger, and pouring both at once into a pint pot with a perfectly balanced head. I am right handed.

Makes intuitive sense to me to pour with the dominant hand as that's theone where you need the fine control. The other one's just staying still really.

Thinking...what's with the white gloves? Especially on the likes of mickey mouse and bugs bunny...(I think)...must be rodent claw phobia.
I believe this is because fingers are difficult to draw. Putting white gloves on makes it easier.

I have my beer poured by semi-naked Balinese dancers, conveyed to my recliner by Nordic goddesses and handed to me by raven haired Amazons. (was happens with my crisps and peanuts is not for the faint hearted or a family website )
It must be pretty near boiling by the time it gets to you, then.
Tell you what. I'll do you a deal on the rancid old mother in law to take over the last leg. That'll take most of the steam out of it! 🤣🤣🤣

Dominant hand (Right ) to pour.
Using the others feels less under control.
Bottle, jug or wine decanter/carafe.
I can do it, but it just requires more concentration.
Wheras, I have noted I always 'distribute' when dealing playing cards with the non-dominant hand i.e. Left.

Anyone spot the 'Eh, wot? how many hands?' attempt at a joke above?

Back