The New Zealand Recipe Books- Gladfield & Wild About Hops

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

An Ankoù

Landlord.
Reaction score
I've been looking at these recipes for quite a while and there's something quite fascinating about an antipodean approach to European and American styles, as well as the way homebrew tastes are trending in N.Z.
I tried the Gladfield Summer Gold and I'm so impressed with it that I've put another batch on, also a batch combining the pale and pilsner malts into one charge of MO and another using the original malt bill with all cascade hops to see how close it comes to a beer like, for example, Bishop's Farewell.
Now that the weather's cooler, I've got a batch of Gladfield's Nyoo Zilund Pilsner already in secondary, and I'm dying to have a go at their 5.7% abv Irish Extra Stout. The biggest difficulty is sourcing the materials or rather finding the best substitutes for Gladfield's malts- in spite of all their bluster about "this is a unique malt", there's only one I've really struggled with and I'll compile and post a substitution table shortly. They produce a substitution table of their own, but it deals with very few maltsters and we can get much closer by opening up the field.
Inspired by a anew found love of N.Z. hops and pretty much complete boredom with the dank U.S. varieties. I'm looking foreward to some very refreshing brews.
More to follow....
These have already been posted elsewhere, but to save hours of research:
https://wildabouthops.nz/lager_pilsner_recipes.html#LAGER-PILSNER-INDEXhttps://www.gladfieldmalt.co.nz/new-improved-brewing-recipes/
If anybody has tried any of these recipes, I'd be interested in their feedback.

Ok. Here’s the recipe for Gladfield Extra Stout 26 litre batch.
OG 1.056 : FG 1.013 : IBU ~40 : Colour 70 EBC : Est ABV 5.7% : Efficiency 74%

Malts
4.20kg Gladfield Ale Malt (64.5%) Use Pale Ale malt- Crisp’s. Hookhead, nothing too fancy
0.65kg Harraway’s Rolled Barley (10.1%) It’s flaked barley, innit! Or torrified, but not Torified! (otherwise you’ll get loads of scum)
0.50kg Gladfield Toffee Malt (7.7%) Use Crisp’s Cara Gold
0.35kg Gladfield Eclipse Wheat (5.4%) Use Château Black Wheat Malt or Breiss Midnight Wheat (Weyermann’s Chocolate Wheat is probably the easiest to get hold of, but it’s not dark enough)
0.27kg Gladfield Brown Malt (4.1%) Fawcett’s Brown is a decent match
0.27kg Gladfield Light Chocolate Malt (4.1%) Use Crisp’s Chocolate 850 ebc
0.27kg Gladfield Gladiator Malt (4.1%) Use Château Cara Claire (available from thehomebrewcompany)

Hops

60min– 32g Pacific Jade 12.7% aa (40 IBU) (Pacific Jade seems to be the goto bittering hop down under)

Yeast

Lallemand BRY-97 West Coast Ale Yeast (1 Packet) Avoid like the plague. It’s horrible stuff. US-05 or CML Five or any other Chico derivative

Mash Additions: (You’ll need to look at the source water profile for this to make much sense)
10.00g Calcium Carbonate
2.00g Calcium Chloride
2.00g Magnesium Sulphate
2.00g Calcium Sulphate
1.50g Sodium Bicarbonate
3-4mL 80% Lactic Acid (for pH Adjustment – requires pH Meter)

Just waiting for my Black Wheat malt to arrive and I’ll put a batch on.
I fully appreciate the ridiculousness of what I'm trying to do here: Gladfield are trying to match their materials to make a beer for which they haven't got the authentic ingredients, while I'm trying to match their attempt using our local ingredients. What the hell!

Here's my substitution chart.
If anyone thinks I've misinterpreted a Gladfield malt or that there's a better substitution, please let me know and I'll keep the chart up to date.
I haven't finished the moisture content column, I'm not sure how important this is, but some are very different.
Note. It refers to the malts I get from my suppliers and I sure there are equally good substituions from other suppliers.

Attachments

• Gladfield Malts Conversion.pdf
    49.6 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:
Great to get a different take / recipes from around the world, thanks for posting, I’ll be scaling some of these down in the new year, Kiwi mate misses his Stein claims it’s brewed differently these days I wonder would this be the “original” recipe if it has? I’m no expert and know even less about lagers!

Great to get a different take / recipes from around the world, thanks for posting, I’ll be scaling some of these down in the new year, Kiwi mate misses his Stein claims it’s brewed differently these days I wonder would this be the “original” recipe if it has? I’m no expert and know even less about lagers!
I've only brewed one recipe from the Wild About Hops stout and that was for WI Porter. It's a lovely beer but not very much like the Guinness West Indian porter. There are more recipes, by the way, for other styles. You have to navigate a bit to find them.
I've just made the "Nyoo Zilund Pilsner" from the Gladfield site. Had a crafty taster before bottling and it's amazing. Nothing like any of the Pilsners I know, but amazing nevertheless.
To get to the other recipes in WAH, you have to click on the three, parallel, horizontal lines in the top, righ-hand section of the page and then select "brewing", etc.

Last edited:
Just brewed up, bottled and (after 12 days) tasted Gladfield's take on a bog-standard English bitter. They give it a good old English name: Aurora Australis Amber Beer, and it uses 40% light melanoidin malt. (I never realised melanoidin malt would convert itself)
Verdict: It's really nice. Full, rich malt without any cloying sweetness. I'll post the recipe later on.

Here's the recipe promised above. It really is a nice, flavoursome and easy-drinking bitter. Next time I'll increased the bittering hop charge to the full 30 ibus, but there's no real need except to suit my personal taste.
First the Gladfield version:
British Beer
Gladfield Aurora Australis Amber Beer (You can't get a more British-sounding name than that!)

Targets:
26 litre batch : OG 1.041 : FG 1.013 : IBU 27.5 : Colour 22 EBC : Est ABV 3.70%
Ingredients:
Malts

2.40kg Gladfield Ale Malt (53.3%)
1.80kg Gladfield Aurora Malt (40%)
0.30kg Gladfield Toffee Malt (6.7%)

Hops
60min – 10g Pacific Gem 14% aa (14 IBU)
20min – 25g Fuggles 5.5% aa (7.4 IBU)
10min – 25g Fuggles 5.5% aa (5.5 IBU)

Yeast
Lallemand Windsor English Ale yeast (1 packet) Ugghh!

Here's my recipe for 20 litres: I don't like high FGs so I've lowered it and I've used a nice, clean ale yeast. I calculate bittering with 20% utilisation and work up or down from there.
OG 1040-1041 : Target FG 1007 : 4.5% abv : IBU 30
Malts
Hookhead Pale Ale 1.846 Kg
Bestmalz Melanoidin Light 1.385 Kg
Crisp's Cara Gold 0.231 Kg
A bit of acid malt to correct pH of my water 50g
Hops
FWH Pac Gem Jade (not Gem- I don’t like it as a bittering hop) to 25 ibus 21.5g at 21.3% alpha acid
20 minutes Fuggles 20g
10 minutes Fuggles 20g and Protofloc

Mashed for 5 hours 65-65C (5 hours is to fit around the other things I had to do, it's not a necessity) : boiled for 70 minutes
Pitched with CML Pia yeast.

Final gravity was 1006.
So far, I'm very pleased. I have a recollection of a commercial bitter that tasted like this, but I can't remember which one.

Just received a sack of melanoidin light from HBC. This is one I'd recommend if you like a nice, malt-forward-but-not-sweet bitter.

Last edited:
Glad I found this thread again as, apart from the two sites already mentioned there's another one called Small Batch Brewing, I think. I wanted to make the Australian Ale but had to wait for Pride of Ringwood hops to come over from oz. I've brewed it up now and it's a really good pint. I'll post all the details later on.

I love Gladfield Ale Malt, I believe their comparison is to Maris Otter. I bottled my coopers Sparkling clone I did two charges of Pride of Ringwood and used Compass Schooner malt which Coopers use or it could be Veloria Schooner. I was thinking as I was bottling, Coopers are sitting very pretty with barley expected to rise significantly. They grow their own barley and do their own malting. Super Pride is supposedly the better hop as it isn't as harsh as Pride of Ringwood, but for me in Coopers Sparkling POR hits the spot.

This "harshness" isn't as bad as it's cracked up to be. My Australian Ale has a little residual roughness after the swallow, but you have to be looking for it and I reckon that'll disappear if the remaining bottles live long enough. Nevertheless, I haven't been able to find a stockist of thus hop anywhere in Europe-pretty much every other Australian hop is available except por and super pride so I'll have to get back onto Dermott at beer Co.

I haven't seen the Gladfield's app, but I've seen their malt substitution chart and found it very "general". I think it's to encourage a wide range of brewers using other malts to convert to Gladfield. On the other hand, they give very good descriptions of their malts and processes and I've managed to build up a much closer substitution chart. Of course, my chances of ever using Gladfield's products are slim as the shipping costs are prohibitive so I guess I'll never know how accurate my subs are.

Here's my substitution chart.
If anyone thinks I've misinterpreted a Gladfield malt or that there's a better substitution, please let me know and I'll keep the chart up to date.
I haven't finished the moisture content column, I'm not sure how important this is, but some are very different.
Note. It refers to the malts I get from my suppliers and I sure there are equally good substituions from other suppliers.
The Supernova malt is not well substituted by the brown malt I suggested. Looking again, I think it's more like a melanoidin malt. This one does seem to be unique and I think I'd go for one of the darker melanoidin malts.

Ok. Here’s the recipe for Gladfield Extra Stout 26 litre batch.
OG 1.056 : FG 1.013 : IBU ~40 : Colour 70 EBC : Est ABV 5.7% : Efficiency 74%

Malts
4.20kg Gladfield Ale Malt (64.5%) Use Pale Ale malt- Crisp’s. Hookhead, nothing too fancy
0.65kg Harraway’s Rolled Barley (10.1%) It’s flaked barley, innit! Or torrified, but not Torified! (otherwise you’ll get loads of scum)
0.50kg Gladfield Toffee Malt (7.7%) Use Crisp’s Cara Gold
0.35kg Gladfield Eclipse Wheat (5.4%) Use Château Black Wheat Malt or Breiss Midnight Wheat (Weyermann’s Chocolate Wheat is probably the easiest to get hold of, but it’s not dark enough)
0.27kg Gladfield Brown Malt (4.1%) Fawcett’s Brown is a decent match
0.27kg Gladfield Light Chocolate Malt (4.1%) Use Crisp’s Chocolate 850 ebc
0.27kg Gladfield Gladiator Malt (4.1%) Use Château Cara Claire (available from thehomebrewcompany)

Hops

60min– 32g Pacific Jade 12.7% aa (40 IBU) (Pacific Jade seems to be the goto bittering hop down under)

Yeast

Lallemand BRY-97 West Coast Ale Yeast (1 Packet) Avoid like the plague. It’s horrible stuff. US-05 or CML Five or any other Chico derivative

Mash Additions: (You’ll need to look at the source water profile for this to make much sense)
10.00g Calcium Carbonate
2.00g Calcium Chloride
2.00g Magnesium Sulphate
2.00g Calcium Sulphate
1.50g Sodium Bicarbonate
3-4mL 80% Lactic Acid (for pH Adjustment – requires pH Meter)

Just waiting for my Black Wheat malt to arrive and I’ll put a batch on.
I fully appreciate the ridiculousness of what I'm trying to do here: Gladfield are trying to match their materials to make a beer for which they haven't got the authentic ingredients, while I'm trying to match their attempt using our local ingredients. What the hell!
My black wheat malt did arrive, but by the time it came, I'd forgotten about this recipe and so I'd better get on with it.

Interesting thread. I come from the other direction and always have to convert malts to the Gladfield equivalent... 🙂

I'll check out your conversation chart with interest...

Yes I use the app too. Often have to do a bit of research for UK/US recipes and select equivalents by malt characteristics/EBC.

And yeah it's winter. No snow here but good amounts on the skifields. Sunny today but not over 10 degs, and days already getting longer. Such a breeze chilling wort with 8 degree water though... 🙂
Glad you're getting a bonus summer.

Latest posts

Back