The next Malt buy by the South Cheshire Co-operative

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
An update on my original question. A 10 litre container holds 3kgs with a decent head space. Probably perfect for when you want to buy more of the same before you run out of that specific malt.

Attachments

• CAEAAF62-1305-4BA9-97B5-E2350B0BB6A5.jpeg
    CAEAAF62-1305-4BA9-97B5-E2350B0BB6A5.jpeg
    53.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 251B052E-900A-4A80-BE3C-3334B5F4F464.jpeg
    251B052E-900A-4A80-BE3C-3334B5F4F464.jpeg
    46.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 3C8E8F68-EA21-47AF-B68E-CDCC6CE8641B.jpeg
    3C8E8F68-EA21-47AF-B68E-CDCC6CE8641B.jpeg
    33 KB · Views: 18
Hi Mr H

We have literally just last week paid for group buy 8. Best guess is that our next order will be in late June, but maybe before

If you want to put in an order now via the website you are welcome to - if you wish you can cancel anytime up to when you pay. We request payment before we place the order, but this will be not be for a few weeks now

Best wishes

OB

The Malt Buy Co-operative website is now open for business again

Our next order will be towards the end of June

So far, this collaboration has provided over 8.7 tonnes of malt to forum members. That equates to 304 X 25kg bags. Roughly 70,457 pints, give or take a few! Or If you are a bbc spokesmen you might say 1.6% of an Olympic swimming pool. Or if you're the daily mail about £250,000 worth of beer.

I hope to be able to bring details of what our hop offer will look like soon

Last edited:
We are beginning to develop several local groups to collaborate for collection, in particular in S. Lancashire, Shropshire and Nottinghamshire/Leicestershire/Derbyshire areas. So if you are interested in becoming part of our network please let me know/just put an order in

@Obadiah Boondoggle

Do you know of any co-operative that bulk buys Malt Extract for us “non-AG” brewers?

Even with petrol going through the roof, travelling to pick up a years supply of LME would make sense.
:hat:
Hi @Dutto No I don't know of any sorry

I'll see what I can find

How much would a year's supply be? Would storage be an issue? What would be a good price look like?

I have googled it and 25kg Light Malt Extract - 7445 Best Before End 06/2022

Let's see if we can beat this

Hi @Dutto

……

I'll see what I can find

How much would a year's supply be? Would storage be an issue? What would be a good price look like?

I have googled it and 25kg Light Malt Extract - 7445 Best Before End 06/2022

Let's see if we can beat this

I’ve only just got back into brewing after two years nursing a broken thigh so how much I will use would (I think) be above the 25kg mark as follows:
  • 8 brews per year minimum
  • 3kg of LME per brew = 24kg
  • 8 x 20 litres = 160 litres = 282 pints
    Less than one pint per day
Therefore, 25kg a year seems reasonable.

Storage is not a problem, unless the LME oxidises in which case I would need it in smaller units.

At the moment I can pay up to £8 per kilo for liquid malt extract so anything under £100 for 25kg would be worth looking into!

Don't brewers select in Peterborough do bulk malt extract?

Just looked and unable to find information so email on their way to them.

Many thanks. Peterborough is not too far to save a few quid!
athumb..

PS
Actually, neither is Lincoln or Nottingham as they’re all within 30 miles!

PPS
Just got the reply from Peterborough and unfortunately they don’t sell LME!

Last edited:
I’ve only just got back into brewing after two years nursing a broken thigh so how much I will use would (I think) be above the 25kg mark as follows:

Storage is not a problem, unless the LME oxidises in which case I would need it in smaller units.

At the moment I can pay up to £8 per kilo for liquid malt extract so anything under £100 for 25kg would be worth looking into!

athumb..

PS

PPS
Ok, I'll start with Muntons Brewery with whom we have an account

athumb..

PS

PPS
Does LME Oxidise - does anyone know?

Just did a bit of research and the only Light LME of 25kg and under £100 goes out of date in June! The rest is “Out of Stock” …

… except The Malt Miller that wants £149 for 25kg of Muntons Cedarex!

Thank you Vladimir!
:mad:

We can source Muntons Malt extract for anything between £45 (Pale Ale Malt extract) to £105 (extra dark) for a 25kg jerry can

The key as ever is bulk - we would need to fill a pallet i.e. 34 X 25kg jerry cans or we could mix and match with grain. It strikes me that at these prices even with postage there is a significant saving to be made

Next question is who might be interested - I need a "show of hands"

We can source Muntons Malt extract for anything between £45 (Pale Ale Malt extract) to £105 (extra dark) for a 25kg jerry can

The key as ever is bulk - we would need to fill a pallet i.e. 34 X 25kg jerry cans or we could mix and match with grain. It strikes me that at these prices even with postage there is a significant saving to be made

Next question is who might be interested - I need a "show of hands"
Might be worth it’s own thread to get the attention of the right target audience

Farams have Cedarex at £55/25kg and Weyermann for £26.23/4kg - they're between Malvern and Worcester. I imagine Murphys in Nottingham will have it too.

You tend to find malt extract in liquid form for bulk, as you don't have to worry about it absorbing water in the same way, and it's easier to handle as a syrup. I don't use it so I don't know how quickly it stales, but keeping it cool will always help so in the absence of knowing for sure, getting a bulk load just as summer is upon us...would not be my first choice. Better to get it in Sept/October and then you know the garage will keep it cool enough whilst you use most of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back