The Offended.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Are taking over the World.

BBC Radio 4 host Dame Jenni Murray has pulled out of an Oxford University talk amid a backlash over comments she made about transgender people.

The Woman's Hour presenter was invited to speak at an event called Powerful British Women in History and Society.

But the student union's LGBTQ Campaign said she had made "transphobic comments" in a 2017 newspaper article.

The Oxford University History Society subsequently said she had cancelled her appearance "for personal reasons".

Writing for the Sunday Times in March 2017, Dame Jenni said men who have transitioned should not claim to be "real women".
She added that "it takes more than a sex change and make-up" to "lay claim to womanhood"

The LGBTQ Campaign said her comments contribute to "the harassment, marginalisation, discrimination, and violence" faced by trans people.

Read in full - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-46139085

Whether you agree with her comments or not, this current ******** with people being offended over every little thing is wearing.

And before anybody claims it is the preserve of The Left or Millenials, it isn't. Everybody with a platform seems to be offended over something.

Why can't we all just find some things offensive and get on with our lives?! Or perhaps have thoughtful discussion instead.

The thing is you can't even say you don't give a sh1t...because that means you hate everyone! At least no will feel left out ..
Incidentally that's my take on things ..

FB_IMG_1541706551116.jpg

Cool! I've read precisely zero threads from people who are offended by stuff, but here we have yet another threat of people who are offended by people who are offended by stuff.

Good point! Is anyone on the offended list? I have views on stuff but generally it's best to keep it to yourself. Is anyone or do you know anyone who is of the the shouty,outspoken,tell the world,offended type? Do they you/they do it alone or in a crowd? What reaction?
Edit...
I do know someone who gets offended about everything...
Saying the diner down the industrial estate where we get our bacon butties was run by a chap with a turban was...racist, someone asked who owns it..He does and his butties are bang on!
Saying the fitter in work,who was covered in oil an stuff was black as a bag...racist.
Someone asks if people are going for an Indian...tutting and head shaking..
I kid you not!
He doesn't mind a holiday in Thailand though...
Guilt trip....

Last edited:
I'm offended that a person is attacked and then silenced for giving their opinion and which seemed a fair assessment of a situation. She wasn't inciting violence, that I could tell, or speaking with the intent to harm. I thought she said something obvious actually. Note: I don't know the full context though.

I feel handcuffed in trying to defend my view on a subject such as this one and it appears that is the strategy--attack any comment that doesn't align with the community even if it is accurate. It's forcing one to agree "because they say so" without evaluating all the information. In other words, forcing someone to agree with something that they don't really agree with. I do not like to be told what to think; I make up my mind after viewing all the information and then I decide.

I don't condone violence or prejudice. In any case, I wasn't incited to violence or prejudice because someone gave their opinion.

I actually believe this: You can't "make" a person male or female other than during the nine month manufacturing process, that I'm aware of. You can do whatever you want to a body afterward; it still doesn't change the gender. If people who get operated on are happy with it, then good for them.
Edit: if this is too much, I'll take it down immediately. I've tried to be respectful.

Here is my take on contemporary British society, based entirely on empirical evidence:

If dysfunctionality is rewarded systematically and functional behaviour is systematically penalised for three generations, you end up with a dysfunctional society.

We're forced into political correctness in the workplace. In a nutshell, Comply or be disciplined. I'm afraid I'm old school, but knowing your audience is the key.

I know my view will not be popular with some but I agree with Jenni (see the OP) if you are born a man and have a sex change you are still a man and the same goes the other way, you may not feel you are male or female (before the change) but you cannot alter that fact.

Latest posts

Back