The 'Osprey tries to set up to brew in a garage' thread

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could buy food-safe hose and coil it up when not in use on a garden hose reel. Cheap and simple.

I set my garage up this year, I put a sink and taps (£5 from ebay) and a long kitchen work surface (very cheap in a sale from a DIY outlet). I was lucky because the garage is next to the house and also had a drain in it, so it was easy to run pipe through the walls and from the sink to the drain, and I just used John guest fittings which is basically like Lego. If it is an option for you, I would highly recommend it.
Honestly, it was the best decision and has made my brew days so simple. I can wash up all my gear in there, water is next to me for filling buckets, boilers and immersion chillers. My kegerator is in there for supping during brew days and there's chairs for people to sit when they visit. I don't use the main garage door so I installed a cooker hood for extraction which works surprisingly well (apart from the odd drip).
I'd suggest a good few coats of tough paint on the floor as well because if you're anything like me you will soak the whole area every time you even look at the tap.

My Brewhouse has no water or drains. I have 3 fridges running in there and mash and boil with a Klarstein Fullhorn electric mash tun, this uses 2500w on full power which is 10A, nothing to worry about on a modern ring main.
I run a garden hose out for the immersion chiller and another hose for the return to the drain, I don't use this for brew water. As my kitchen is just a few paces away I carry the total water across and fill the mash tun, which is not much of an effort seeing as it is a once a brew operation.

Hi,

Question!

Someone on my local giving site is giving away a fridge freezer (as the fridge isn't getting cold enough to freeze properly). I've been looking for a second fridge, so I can run one warm and one cold.

Is it worth getting a fridge freezer, or will I just be spending more money on electricity to only be able to use half the unit (as I'll only be controlling either the fridge or freezer)?

Also, I'll then be running a chest freezer, under counter fridge and inkbird (into the fridge freezer and heater) on one side of a double plug, with a Brewzilla on the other side. Is this going to overload the plug socket?

Cheers in advance (hopefully).

Can you find the circuit breaker that feeds the double socket? Turn it off and see how many other sockets in the house, if any, are affected. List all the items supplied by this breaker. Tell us what's written on the breaker or post a photo.

Also, I'll then be running a chest freezer, under counter fridge and inkbird (into the fridge freezer and heater) on one side of a double plug, with a Brewzilla on the other side. Is this going to overload the plug socket?
Why not just switch off everything, do your brew, then switch them all back on again? Of course if you forgot the latter then it could be a bit of a disaster assuming the freezer is for food.

Latest posts

Back