The party with no name.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On this Thread I've seen so many religious misconceptions that I am appalled at the lack of understanding.

I consider myself very lucky to have had the time to read the Christian Bible, the Muslim Koran, the Hindi Bhavagad Gita and the Sikh Guru Granth Sahib and ALL of them teach tolerance of other religions.

As it has been mentioned, I would like to point out that verse 5.69 in the Koran says:

“Truly the believers and the Jews and the Sabians and the Christians – whosoever believeth in God and the Last Day and doeth deeds of piety – no fear shall come upon them neither shall they grieve”

On the Christian side of the fence, Pope Pius XI said:

“Do not think that you are going among infidels. Muslims attain to Salvation. The ways to God are infinite.”

In the Gospels of both Luke and Mathew there is a saying that goes something like:

"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?"

About 10 years ago, due to a lack of people attending the services, the Bishop of Derby had to deconsecrate and shutdown the church in which I was Christened.

This is amazing, because if everyone who have made negative comments about Islam (which means "submission to God" incidentally) had attended their local church it would have been crammed to the rafters!

If all "religious" people would actually read their holy books as well as you do.

Reasons to reject religion:
  • Taliban
  • ISIS
  • The shitty Iranian regime
  • The shitty Wahhabi influence in Saudi-Arabia
  • Malaysia tries to have religious diversity, but doesn't like atheists
  • 100 000's of "religious" people protest in Pakistan to demand the death of a Christian woman, just based on rumours
  • 100 000's of "religious" people protest in Indonesia to demand the removal a Christian civil servant, also based on rumours
  • The ongoing child abuse cases in the Catholic Church
  • So called "evangelical christians" in the US who would like nothing better than their total influence on the legislative, executive and judiciary branch, with exclusion of all other religions and atheists
  • I am pretty sure you can find a couple of examples in Anglicanism too
One thing seems to recur in different religions: they all seem to be afraid of atheists.

On this Thread I've seen so many religious misconceptions that I am appalled at the lack of understanding.

I consider myself very lucky to have had the time to read the Christian Bible, the Muslim Koran, the Hindi Bhavagad Gita and the Sikh Guru Granth Sahib and ALL of them teach tolerance of other religions.
Misconception is what ' religions' are all about. You didn't tell the folks about ' abrogation with this Mohammedan stuff where they'll give you a tale, but a later tale takes precedent.
As it has been mentioned, I would like to point out that verse 5.69 in the Koran says:

“Truly the believers and the Jews and the Sabians and the Christians – whosoever believeth in God and the Last Day and doeth deeds of piety – no fear shall come upon them neither shall they grieve”

On the Christian side of the fence, Pope Pius XI said:

“Do not think that you are going among infidels. Muslims attain to Salvation. The ways to God are infinite.”

In the Gospels of both Luke and Mathew there is a saying that goes something like:

"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?"

About 10 years ago, due to a lack of people attending the services, the Bishop of Derby had to deconsecrate and shutdown the church in which I was Christened.

This is amazing, because if everyone who have made negative comments about Islam (which means "submission to God" incidentally) had attended their local church it would have been crammed to the rafters!
Everyone can play at that game.
What was it about this stuff being a fiddle you can play any tune on?
Koran 47 verse 7

'
PICKTHALL

Now when ye meet in battle those who disbelieve, then it is smiting of the necks until, when ye have routed them, then making fast of bonds; and afterward either grace or ransom till the war lay down its burdens. That (is the ordinance). And if Allah willed He could have punished them (without you) but (thus it is ordained) that He may try some of you by means of others. And those who are slain in the way of Allah, He rendereth not their actions vain'
Etc, plenty more ,
From Islamic hadith,
'The Day of Judgement will not come about until Muslims fight the Jews, when the Jew will hide behind stones and trees. The stones and trees will say O Muslims, O Abdullah, there is a Jew behind me, come and kill him. Only the Gharkad tree, (the Boxthorn tree) would not do that because it is one of the trees of the Jews. (related by al-Bukhari and Muslim)'
The koran pinched its stuff from the bible, the bible from jewish texts and the jews took the idea of heaven and hell/ one god from the zoroastrians.
tosh from the iron-age.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @entertheflagon
Tonight, when I go to bed, I will say this orayer:
For f**ks sake, don't ever let entertheflagon become a politician.

And with that - goodbye!
Thank you for that, Bigcol.
Don't forget to kneel, hands together and above all, do pick the right JU-JU man in the sky.
Get it wrong and you might see the ' Rt Honorable Flagon PM', turning up for tea!

If all "religious" people would actually read their holy books as well as you do.

• Taliban
  • ISIS
  • Malaysia tries to have religious diversity, but doesn't like atheists
  • 100 000's of "religious" people protest in Pakistan to demand the death of a Christian woman, just based on rumours
  • 100 000's of "religious" people protest in Indonesia to demand the removal a Christian civil servant, also based on rumours
  • So called "evangelical christians" in the US who would like nothing better than their total influence on the legislative, executive and judiciary branch, with exclusion of all other religions and atheists
  • I am pretty sure you can find a couple of examples in Anglicanism too
One thing seems to recur in different religions: they all seem to be afraid of atheists.
Worth remembering too it was only 230 years ago they killed the last woman as a witch in Europe

After reading this thread is it me who see's the use of JC in capitals for Corbin as he is seen by some people as the messiah?
I think you are right.
But you know what they'll do to him next, don't you?
When he turns water into wine he's got my vote.

Last edited:

I have selected the above because ...

1. "The shitty Iranian regime" was a result of an even shittier reign by the Shah! I was there and the corruption was so bad that:
  1. A "Grade 9 Clerk" in my local Housing Department (which was the same Grade as myself in Operations) fled the country, allegedly to follow the £35 million that he had already moved to his Swiss Bank Account.
  2. The white lines painted on the route that the Shah followed when he visited Ahwaz in 1978 were washed away with the first rains of winter because they were painted with the very aptly named paint "whitewash".
  3. I lived in a house that had a hallway that was big enough for four people to play table-tennis around a full sized table; and within 100 yards of where I lived people were having to burn dried camel sh!t to boil water that they obtained from a seep in the ground!
... and David Owen (the Labour Governments's Foreign Secretary at the time) told the world "We support the Shah!"

2. After the Iranian Revolution I moved on to Saudi Arabia to work, along with many thousands of people from all over the world, many of whom are now being paid pensions from Saudi Arabian Funds. The way the Saudi Arabian monarchy runs the country is different from our own but since Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman has been in charge there have been many changes for what we may regard as "beneficial".

3. Child abuse by ANYONE is unforgivable regardless of race, creed or colour; and as you point out, it is not restricted to any particular religion.

4. Finally, I find it ironical that you are complaining about the activities of the "evangelical christians". I suggest that they are attempting to do what you are advocating.

"Why?" Please take a look at your own Post above.

Yourself and others on this Forum, show a lack of tolerance that I find breathtaking. With little or no knowledge they condemn those things that are different to their own beliefs. I particularly abhor those people who practice no religion, but somehow feel that they are able to comment on the religions of others.

Personally, I don't even know all of the questions never mind all of the answers!

BTW, there is a mile of difference between an "Atheist" and an "Agnostic" and the saying "There are no Atheists in a lifeboat!" has been there for many years!

SWMBO (who has complained bitterly about the amount of time I spend on this Forum) has just looked over my shoulder and said "I thought that was a Brewing Forum."

It is
, so I will say goodbye to this particular Thread and go outside to tidy a few things up before I set off for France next weekend!

SWMBO (who has complained bitterly about the amount of time I spend on this Forum) has just looked over my shoulder and said "I thought that was a Brewing Forum."

It is
, so I will say goodbye to this particular Thread and go outside to tidy a few things up before I set off for France next weekend!
We are off the Brewing forum and into the snug at the moment where squabbles of life abound.
If you see a ' lack of tolerance' you miss the point perhaps.
There is no need to tolerate the intolerant simply because some call that intolerance a 'religion' and cherry pick nonsense from its scribblings.
'Religions ' have been butchering each other over myths since the dawn of time, it's not ' intolerant' to object I think.
Enjoy your sojourn, Dutto ,weather looks nice.

However, you need to realise that having nuclear capability would NOT protect us should a cold war go hot, on the contrary it would make us a target. I

I couldn't disagree more its a nuclear deterrent and for 45 years it did just that.

In 1945 one major war ended and another began The Cold War lasted about 45 years there were no direct military campaigns between the two main antagonists the United States and the Soviet Union.

BTW, there is a mile of difference between an "Atheist" and an "Agnostic" and the saying "There are no Atheists in a lifeboat!" has been there for many years!
Dutto, I strongly recommend that you start worshipping SWMBO. Enjoy France.

PS: A chum of mine has an Auberge in Montfarville (about a mile south of Barfleur). If you're going that way it's worth calling in. Auberge Normandie, but it's the only one in the (small) village so you can't miss it. He smokes his own duck over beech, and if you ask nicely and you're there at a not-too-busy time he'll show you around. Say you're a friend of Rodney. If you do go, it's worth having a look in the church - very impressive stained glass (with an interesting background story). The village is also known as La Ville d'Eglise because of the church. He's called Serge Debrix, wife is Marianne.

He smokes his own duck over beech
PPS: For the sake of clarity, when I say he smokes his own duck over beech, what I mean is that he has a large smoker which he uses to make smoked duck, using beech as the combustible material to produce the smoke. He then serves the duck to customers in the restaurant. I did not mean that he has a pipe into which he stuffs his duck, sets fire to said duck and then inhales the resultant fumes, whilst sitting on (say) a beech stool. That would be silly, but I thought I ought to make things clear.

I couldn't disagree more its a nuclear deterrent and for 45 years it did just that.

If you ignore the constant wars during that time, the terrorist attacks, the ever growing problem of nuclear proliferation by ever more unstable governments far more likely to use their nukes than the soviets of that era.. The world has changed, and so must we. I for one am not happy with even the idea of been a part of a country willing to destroy entire civilian populations in the name of retaliation.

The world would be a much better place without nukes, and somebody has to be the first to say enough.

With that, I too am going to bow out, as some opinions just cannot be changed.

I agree but no one will be first so it'll never happen.
There are people now developing Nukes who fervently believe a ' prophet' who, like as not never existed, flew to 'heaven' on a magic horse ( the rest know as Pegasus), Try convincing them first, they actually dream of Armageddon.
They probably are sick minded enough to smoke duck in a pipe!

Everyone should read the book "Factfulnes", by Hans Rösling. Things are better than they used to be. Only dishonest politicians like to say that things were better in the past.

Latest posts

Back