The perfect Fermenting fridge??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hugh jaynus

Reaction score
Im relatively new to brewing im not sure if anyone has stumbled across this before. Hear me out.... cake display fridge.
just found one on ebay in rochdale that needs regasing . Glass front, lights ,temperature controlled , fan , turntable lols. No hotwiring a fridge needed. Could this be the perfect fermenting vessel???

Attachments

• 4FC16CEA-868D-4972-A480-992739E77F08.png
    4FC16CEA-868D-4972-A480-992739E77F08.png
    65.8 KB · Views: 88
  • 0BB1D782-AC7B-403C-91F1-C4C5ED9858B8.png
    0BB1D782-AC7B-403C-91F1-C4C5ED9858B8.png
    47.1 KB · Views: 89
Not for £89 + regassing.You can normally get an under the counter fridge for free from local recycling/charity place.

If not look on gumtree or preloved, can normally pick them up very cheap £20/30.

Obvs hacking a fridge can be alot cheaper . But youve still got to get a heat lamp and hotwire it all. with this it would look that part not need messing with.

The issue with that would be maintaining temperature if located out in a shed or garage in the winter.

I works suggest a 1kW heater if you do go for it.

Also if it ‘just needs regarding’ why has it not just been regassed. Sounds like a dodgy car advert.

Obvs hacking a fridge can be alot cheaper . But youve still got to get a heat lamp and hotwire it all. with this it would look that part not need messing with.
What do you mean by “youve still got to... hotwire it all”? I have a fermenting fridge with an tube heater and Inkbird, and I just jam the temperature probe and tube heater power cable in the door seal.

Another option is to run the cables through the drain hole (I do this with the gas line and temperature probe in my Kegerator) but my drain hole isn’t quite big enough.

No changes to the electrics are required.

Being a commercial unit I’m sure it be up to standing outside in the shed. Just plug and play. Maybe not this one though it just a thought.

Last edited:
Easy rigging up an old fridge with an inkbird and heater.
Also how much does regassing cost?

A friend of mine had one of those American style fridges and something went wrong with the gas. An engineer told him it would be cheaper to buy a new one than fix it. There might be more wrong with this than simply needing topped up with gas.

Latest posts

Back