The Queen's Platinum Jubilee.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Pubs, clubs and bars could be allowed to stay open for an extra two hours over next year's bank holiday weekend marking the Queen's Platinum Jubilee.

The Queen toured the country for her Diamond Jubilee in 2012, the Duke of Edinburgh by her side
1640534358256.png

Home Secretary Priti Patel is seeking to extend licensing hours in England and Wales from the usual 11pm to 1am on Thursday 2 June to Saturday 4 June.
There will be a month-long consultation over the plans.
Ministers have promised "ceremonial splendour" to mark the Queen's "unprecedented" 70-year reign.
The 2003 Licensing Act allows the home secretary to lay an order before Parliament allowing premises to stay open longer to mark special occasions.
The government has previously pushed back last orders for the royal weddings in 2011 and 2018, as well as the Queen's 90th birthday in 2016 and the World Cup in 2014.
People can submit their views about the move to extend licensing hours and the government said it would also take into account issues raised by police, licensing authorities and alcohol awareness groups.
The Queen looked forward to her Platinum Jubilee in her Christmas Day message to the nation, saying she hoped it would be "an opportunity for people everywhere to enjoy a sense of togetherness; a chance to give thanks for the enormous changes of the last seventy years - social, scientific and cultural - and also to look ahead with confidence".
On February 6 next year, she will become the first British monarch to have ruled for 70 years.
But as has been well established on previous anniversaries, she prefers not to have lavish celebrations on the date itself as it also marks the day she lost her father, King George VI. So it has become traditional for associated events to be delayed until the summer.
Ms Patel said the licensing hours change would allow people to "raise a glass to toast Her Majesty the Queen and mark her incredible service to our country".
The jubilee celebrations will take place over a four-day weekend, with the Spring bank holiday being moved back from the end of May to Thursday 2 June and an extra bank holiday on Friday 3 June.
Among the events planned are a live concert at Buckingham Palace, a service of thanksgiving and a Platinum Jubilee Pageant in central London, featuring street arts, theatre, music and circus performers.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59792855

Until the next variant comes along. Saying that they like us to do what we like in the summer.

Omicron isn't killing us like the first variant although they say its spreading much faster maybe the double vaccine and boosters will mean we can live fairly safely with future variants as Covid isn't going away any time soon.

Omicron isn't killing us like the first variant although they say its spreading much faster maybe the double vaccine and boosters will mean we can live fairly safely with future variants as Covid isn't going away any time soon.
I think so. Unfortunately the understaffed emergency services get hard hit with the new variants and then Boris has a wobble and thinks the country is in melt down. It was in melt down long before covid.

Unfortunately the understaffed emergency services get hard hit with the new variants and then Boris has a wobble and thinks the country is in melt down. It was in melt down long before covid.
Very true, it's what you get when you elect an ideology-driven political party. "Managed" decline.

However, speaking as a republican, I hope the queen manages to hang on until the bank holiday, not just because I want an extra day off but because it's right to pay respect to an individual made of the right stuff.

Very true, it's what you get when you elect an ideology-driven political party. "Managed" decline.

Do any of the people stating the Tories genuinely think any other party would have handled this better?

I wouldn't trust Labour to handle a cock up in a brothel at the moment even though they are the only party i have ever voted for,

Well obviously you are not a Tory supporter and as i have said i am a labour voter so i am not biased in any way, i wouldn't trust labour to run a bath at the moment.

Do any of the people stating the Tories genuinely think any other party would have handled this better?

If you look internationally, there's plenty of similar countries that have handled this much better - and if you look at eg what Rory Stewart was saying before lockdown 1, then it's pretty clear that even if you limit yourselves to "Tory leadership contenders who went to Eton", you could find someone to do a better job than the lazy oaf that's currently in No 10.

But anyway, there's plenty of other threads to discuss Covid responses. Although I'm a fan of the Queen and like going to the pub, it does irk me the way they big up these "celebration" extensions to opening hours, it feels too much like the Roman emperors buying off the plebs with bread and circuses.

1640611594885.png

, you could find someone to do a better job than the lazy oaf that's currently in No 10

But he isn't running the show is he do you honestly think if Boris got up tomorrow morning and decided to give the whole country a paid month off work as a circuit breaker without consulting anyone else it would happen, the answer of course is no.

But he isn't running the show is he do you honestly think if Boris got up tomorrow morning and decided to give the whole country a paid month off work as a circuit breaker without consulting anyone else it would happen, the answer of course is no.

He's not a dictator, he can't impose "big stuff" unilaterally, but he still has a lot of freedom to do things his way. See some of the stuff Cummings has written to get an idea of how it works.

And a lot of it is just about not dithering, do the same things but earlier. He could have started lockdown1 a week earlier like most of Europe, which when the original Wuhan virus was doubling every 3.5 days would have meant a quarter of the infections. He could have made education safe at relatively low cost with CO2 monitoring of ventilation and HEPA filtration.

There's lots of relatively small things like that which add up and make a big difference to the outcome for the British people, when Johnson was more worried about press coverage of his dog and the size of champagne bottles.

With hindsight he/they may have done things differently but we will never know i am not convinced if Labour had been in power the outcome would have been any different.

Last edited:
I wonder how many pubs will still be in business come June.

With hindsight he may have done things differently

Well that's the whole point, it's not in hindsight, Stewart was calling for lockdowns 14 days before Johnson actually did it :

Scientists have been screaming about the need for ventilation and air filtration for 18 months.

And the WHO was banging on about the importance of getting ahead of it with testing in March 2020 - instead gov.uk cut back on testing.

We had a pandemic plan, we just didn't implement it, whereas Singapore essentially took the UK plan and actually did it, and did much better as a result.

we will never know i am not convinced if Labour they had been in power the outcome would have been any different.

Of course, we'll never know for certain. Personally I think they would have done OK - government intervention comes more naturally to Labour and that was what was required. In particular the Tories still have figured out that **** sick pay means people tend to either not isolate or go back to work whilst infectious, whereas I think that's one specific thing Labour would have done better. Starmer may be a bit dull and earnest, but that's actually the kind of person you need in a crisis, whereas Johnson has spent his life winging it and handing in copy late. Would Ashworth have been better than Hancock? Dunno, but probably - he's the kind of MP I really hate, he did student politics and then hung around Westminster until he got a pretty safe seat, but he was in Downing St during the swine flu crisis so at least has some idea of dealing with this stuff. And just generally - the likes of Starmer are a bit less arrogant than the likes of Johnson and Raab, which hopefully means they're more likely to listen to advice rather than thinking they know what to do, and they wouldn't have the ERG nutters squealing everytime they tried to implement public health measures.

Look at the graphs below Boris has been way above KS from February to November when you would have thought due to the way people like you think he has handled covid it would have been the other way around, and in the other two the majority don't think Labour are fit to govern and wouldn't trust them with the economy

1.jpg

2.jpg

5.jpg

Latest posts

Back