The Range- Make Your Own Home Brew, IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, newish to this forum! I bought 2 of the MYO American IPA kits from The range! £14.99each! When I got 1st home I took out pouch of lme & found it weighed 2.5 kg as I thought making it good value, so popped & bought the last one they had! Not sure if too good a deal from what I've read here, just starting 1st now! Will update as I go!

Welcome to the forum, they have recently re-branded the MYO brand so you might have got lucky and bought the last of the old ones hence the price, the new ones are hitting the shelves and it looks like they no longer use the split pouch which has to be a good thing.

Yes, the pouch is lme only & as 2.5 kg seemed good value!

The old style wine kits had a split pouch (separated when you cut along the top) one side was the juice the other the instructions/yeast sachets etc, are the beer kits the same or do they have a single pouch?

bought 2 of the new kits over the weekend
P10402111.jpg

Hi, started off the MYO American IPA yesterday, couldn't add the yeast till 9-00ish as was too warm, added at 72 %, This morning came down to find it had erupted!!! Cleaned off as quick as I could & a while later it was foaming up like mount etna, eventually had to put half into another f/v then now just returned all to original. Any ideas why this happened? I think I'll be lucky if it's not got infected!

Well, think I may be lucky! Tasted when settled down after 2 weeks (just to be sure) & it tasted ok, but very dry & v cloudy, added some beer clear & left for 4 days before bottling! Still cloudy but better! Have to wait another week as still conditioning in bottle! I'll try then & report results! Cheers

Yes, they are the new kits! The instructions say to add 1kg if sugar, so I put 1kg of brewing sugar in! I did wonder myself as I have another one, checked & yes its defo 2.5 kgs of lme! Maybe why I had the vigorous ferment! When i do the 2nd one I will try with no sugar & different yeast, hops etc, & see how it goes, cheers

Done quite a few of these kits (the old range with internal pouch) and they are very good, but take a while to mature. If you drink early they have a strange fusal alcohol taste, which seems to disappear overnight. I add 500g of spray malt, and 500g dextrose. Just got 6 of the old style kits for less then £8.35 each, absolute steal from brew2bottle, and they are dated till the end of 2020.

just stated a new one too, cant see how it can b bad!
Ohhh it's not bad, the first kit is now really tasty(take a while to mature) & very strong! The 2nd one I used demarara sugar & some English hops (fuggles & northdown for dry hopping near end) it's a very different taste, but not at all unpleasant! Does improve a lot with time!

How long did you leave it to mature? I have one of the old-syle pouches ready to go in FV soon - bought it from the range last week. I'm surprised to see it on the shelf based on the above comments. Bargain at £14!
The first couple i tried were after about 4 weeks, tasted a little "tangy" the homebrew taste!! Had one the other night & it has changed so much! This is after 3 months. A lot smoother & lovely flavour! I did slightly over prime the bottles! & when i open them it still disturbs the yeast a little, the 2nd batch I used a gerwin yeast from Wilko & it's much better! All in all now though it was, as you say, a bargain at £15, I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

Back