The Range - Make your own rose wine kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I started another one of these today as i was impressed with the first one and at £19:99 its great value for money.

Original review here -
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=33697

Just waiting for a mod to reply to my request then i will add a review in the relevant forum.

This Make your own rose wine kit brews a light, fruity, medium-sweet rose wine. With well-balanced sweetness and acidity this rose wine features subtle apple and strawberry notes. This rose wine is a good accompaniment to food but also good for drinking on its own.

tttttttt.jpg

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to the review! I bought their apple cider kit a couple of weeks ago and nearly bought one of their wine kits :cheers:

Thanks for the review. Next time I goto a Range I'll definitely be picking one up!

In your review, you say about back sweetening, and as it's a 5 gallon batch, I think 750g of sugar would be about right. Like you, I like sweet wines, and when I do a 1 gallon batch I back sweeten with 180g of sugar.

TBH i think you will find it is not too dry when it has finished fermenting and for me that was at 995.

As i said in the review because the wife doesn't like sweet wine i put 3 teaspoons of sugar into half of the 2 litre bottles which is 15g of sugar. (if a teaspoon is equal to 5g as several internet sites say it is)

If i were to put 3 teaspoons into all the bottles i would use 180g, you may like it sweeter than me but if i had followed the instructions and used 750g i don't think it would be very nice to drink, if you do get a kit let us know how you get on. :thumb:

stevie1556 said:
Thanks for the review. Next time I goto a Range I'll definitely be picking one up!

In your review, you say about back sweetening, and as it's a 5 gallon batch, I think 750g of sugar would be about right. Like you, I like sweet wines, and when I do a 1 gallon batch I back sweeten with 180g of sugar.

:shock:

That won't be a bottle-bomb, it'll be a bottle-nuke!

If you want a sweet sparkling wine, use a non-fermentable (i.e. artificial) sweetener like aspartame or sucralose. If you use sugar, the yeast will ferment until either the alcohol level rises too high, or it runs out of sugar. 750g of sugar for priming a 5gal batch is a little over three times what most experienced brewers on this site (i.e. not me) would use - i.e. 10g per litre, or 230g per 5gal.

That won't be a bottle-bomb, it'll be a bottle-nuke! If you want a sweet sparkling wine, use a non-fermentable (i.e. artificial) sweetener like aspartame or sucralose

Its not sparkling wine i have killed the yeast with stabiliser as per instructions.

a7777777.jpg

Chippy_Tea said:
TBH i think you will find it is not too dry when it has finished fermenting and for me that was at 995.

As i said in the review because the wife doesn't like sweet wine i put 3 teaspoons of sugar into half of the 2 litre bottles which is 15g of sugar. (if a teaspoon is equal to 5g as several internet sites say it is)

If i were to put 3 teaspoons into all the bottles i would use 180g, you may like it sweeter than me but if i had followed the instructions and used 750g i don't think it would be very nice to drink, if you do get a kit let us know how you get on. :thumb:

I like the sweeter wines, think of the Gallo Moscato wine. That kind of sweetness. I understand where you're coming from though, and if you both like different wines (dry/sweet) then doing the 2 litre bottles is a great idea!

I'm used to my WOWs finishing at 0.990 or slightly below, but at 0.995 it would make a difference to the amount of sugar you would add.

How long did you leave it for before it became drinkable?

Tim_Crowhurst said:
:shock:

That won't be a bottle-bomb, it'll be a bottle-nuke!

If you want a sweet sparkling wine, use a non-fermentable (i.e. artificial) sweetener like aspartame or sucralose. If you use sugar, the yeast will ferment until either the alcohol level rises too high, or it runs out of sugar. 750g of sugar for priming a 5gal batch is a little over three times what most experienced brewers on this site (i.e. not me) would use - i.e. 10g per litre, or 230g per 5gal.

I kill the yeast off before I add the sugar to back sweeten it. But when I make my ciders I back sweeten it with Splenda, then put a teaspoon of sugar into each 500ml bottle to prime it. To avoid any potential bottle bombs, I use 500ml plastic water bottles that I get from work. Worse case scenario, one of them will split and make a mess, so it wouldn't be a proper glass bottle bomb! Cheers for the warning though (especially as I'm still learning) :thumb:

I have been thinking about making a sparkling wine, and the Cherry WOW would make an excellent one I think!

How long did you leave it for before it became drinkable?

I didn't, we started drinking it the same night :cheers:

TBH i make the Rose so i always have wine in the house and i make the WOW variants so there is always something different in the house if i fancy a change. :thumb:

When they said it can get a bit lively for the first few days they were not kidding it doesn't stop, i will wait a few days then put the airlock on. (click on image below to see it in action)

Latest posts

Back