The Range MYO Irish Stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Afternoon everyone! This is my first attempt at a beer kit and I'm at the carbing stage just now, 6 days in. The bottles are very firm, almost solid, so the demerara sugar priming is doing its thing. I've read many threads on here with hints and tips for these kits but I don't think I've seen anything on the question that I have....

The instructions say to transfer the bottles to a cool, dark place for clearing after a week - what is 'cool'? Not in a fridge I assume - that would be 'cold'. Is it 12 - 15 deg C? What do you good folk do for this conditioning phase?

First and foremost take no notice on kit instructions, did you take og and fg readings sorry original gravity and final gravity readings, the usual is 2 weeks fermenting 2 weeks priming 2 weeks conditioning, one of the experts will be along to explain better than me

First and foremost take no notice on kit instructions, did you take og and fg readings sorry original gravity and final gravity readings, the usual is 2 weeks fermenting 2 weeks priming 2 weeks conditioning, one of the experts will be along to explain better than me

😁 It may be my first beer kit, but I've been brewing mead, cider and wine for a while now, so I'm up to speed on abbreviations, BTW! I should have qualified that! 😁

..and being an Engineer, I'm quite anal about recording things, so yes, I took the OG and FG - 1.022 and 1.010. I have read about the 2/2/2 rule, but the last two days (of a 12 day fermentation) had a steady 1.010 gravity reading, and I'd read that 1.010 is a normal FG, so proceeded to bottle. Next time, I'll stick with the 2 week fermentation rule, as I did notice some tiny bits of hops flowing down the bottling wand and clogging it up! A few more days may have settled it out better.

So, in your opinion, I should leave it carbing another week, followed 2 weeks conditioning? What temperatures should I try to keep the bottles at for conditioning in a dark place?

Last edited:
In summertime ambient temperatures, most beers are likely to have carbed in less than a week, but it won't do any harm to leave for a few days longer. Your PET bottles are the best indicator of how things are progressing as you have found out.
Next any bottled beer is best kept out of strong light particularly if the bottles are clear and they can be in sunlight. The main reason is that UV apparently degrades some of the hop constituents in the beer to produce off flavours. Its called skunking.
Finally I condition all my beers in the garage, and frankly dont notice any difference between summer and winter beers. However if you have a hazy beer or one with a lot of yeast that is reluctant to drop after carbing a spell in a cool place will help, and the colder the better. As far as the 2+2+2 'rule' is concerned be aware that the 2 week conditioning period is usually the minimum required. Some beers can take weeks even months to come good. If you sample your stout at two weeks it will most likely be drinkable but as the weeks progress you will find the flavours will change, provided you haven't finished it all. And that is where building a stock of beer comes in . So you are not drinking beer that is not ready,but able to drink beers that have conditioned out to their best

Last edited:
Hi Scott first off an apology from me, i read it as a 6 day ferment :oops: hence my concern all i would add is the og looks a little low, an engineer my best mate is a retired aircraft engineer he drives me nuts sometimes :laugh8::laugh8::laugh8::laugh8::laugh8::laugh8: happy brewing

If its an LME based kit and you have added all the sugars as directed and you have unusually low OG from a hydrometer that is properly calibrated, its because the wort has not been properly mixed, and more than likely undissolved sugars are resting the bottom of the FV, which may or may not get diffused into the mix as the fermentation progresses.

Hi Scott first off an apology from me, i read it as a 6 day ferment :oops: hence my concern all i would add is the og looks a little low, an engineer my best mate is a retired aircraft engineer he drives me nuts sometimes :laugh8::laugh8::laugh8::laugh8::laugh8::laugh8: happy brewing
🤦‍♂️ Sorry, I was reading off my notes and typed the gravity at the point that I added the hops, after 8 days fermenting, instead of the OG! Numpty! The OG was 1.044 which should result in approx 4.5%

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll maybe move the bottles to my loft or shed, where it's dark and a little cooler. Checking the bottles this morning, they are solid. As for conditioning, the instructions say that this stout is best drank within 3 months. Is this another instruction that can be taken with a pinch of salt? Anyone got experience of storing this beer for longer? I doubt they'll last 3 months though, but would be good to keep a few stored away for longer.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll maybe move the bottles to my loft or shed, where it's dark and a little cooler. Checking the bottles this morning, they are solid. As for conditioning, the instructions say that this stout is best drank within 3 months. Is this another instruction that can be taken with a pinch of salt? Anyone got experience of storing this beer for longer? I doubt they'll last 3 months though, but would be good to keep a few stored away for longer.
How much priming sugar did you add to make the bottles solid?
My guess on your stout is that is will be properly drinkable after a month and may improve after then. But I'm sure it will still be drinkable after 3 months so it might be worth keeping a few back as you say to see what happens. I've kept kit stouts for longer than 3 months, and they have been OK.
Anyway after all the excitement its now time to get your next brew on so you can start building up some stocks in conditioning athumb..

How much priming sugar did you add to make the bottles solid?
My guess on your stout is that is will be properly drinkable after a month and may improve after then. But I'm sure it will still be drinkable after 3 months so it might be worth keeping a few back as you say to see what happens. I've kept kit stouts for longer than 3 months, and they have been OK.
Anyway after all the excitement its now time to get your next brew on so you can start building up some stocks in conditioning athumb..
I added half a teaspoon of demerara sugar to each bottle....and I've got an American IPA from The Range to try out next. athumb..

Just need to clear my Utility room of all my stout bottles first of all, before the wife goes nuts! :laugh8: I've got 2 demijohns on the go too - a traditional mead and a dark fruits cider. The utility room is becoming a brewery! 😁

I added half a teaspoon of demerara sugar to each bottle....and I've got an American IPA from The Range to try out next. athumb..

Just need to clear my Utility room of all my stout bottles first of all, before the wife goes nuts! :laugh8: I've got 2 demijohns on the go too - a traditional mead and a dark fruits cider. The utility room is becoming a brewery! 😁
That should be fine provided the primary had finished which it should have from what you said. You may find your bottles become less hard as you move them into a cooler place. And for your IPA I suggest you add about 50% more priming sugar which should suit the style especially if you intend to serve from the fridge.

Hi all,

Read through the entire thread and can’t find an answer. I’ve fermented at a steady 22 degrees and bottled. The instructions advise to prime between 22-27 degrees. The ambient temp has dropped to about 20/21 and I can’t really raise it higher. Will this be ok or should I look to find a warmer place? Thanks in advance.

Latest posts

Back