The 'Recommend me a TV series' thread

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finished Night Stalker on Netflix. Pretty gruesome stuff, but the dedication of the Officers in charge of the case shone through for me. Appaling crimes but a very good documentary.

Watched The Investigation, a Danish drama which aired on the BBC. Really enjoyed this - possibly a bit far fetched, but it was well done and there's something about a Scandi drama!

Then watched Traces, also on Netflix. Story set in Dundee about a cold case murder. It's a decent watch - not the best thing I've ever seen, but well worth a go.

Now two parts into Finding Alice, which is on ITV. It's something my wife wanted to watch, but to be honest, after only two episodes, I want to kill everyone in it. I'm not sure I'm going to make it through. It concerns bereavement, so it naturally has some dark moments, but tries far too hard to lighten things with continual, stupid little jokes which fail on every level. I might have to stick it out just to please the wife, but I suspect I'll need the iPad close to hand. Or a few beers.

Watched The Investigation, a Danish drama which aired on the BBC. Really enjoyed this - possibly a bit far fetched, but it was well done and there's something about a Scandi drama!

You know it's a true story? Apparently the drama stuck pretty closely to the facts of the case. You can read up on on Wikipedia or wherever. But yes, I agree it was a very good show, really well done.

Rake, on Netflix.

Brilliantly funny and irreverent. Australian bad lad barrister taking on bizarre and seemingly unwinnable cases - Likes a bit of a drink, the odd snort of coke and is massively in debt to the local mobster through gambling. 5 seasons of 8 episodes each.

I've been watching Ricky Gervais' newest show After Life on Netflix. Almost finished series 1 and really enjoying it, much darker than his other stuff but well written and brilliantly acted.

I've been watching Ricky Gervais' newest show After Life on Netflix. Almost finished series 1 and really enjoying it, much darker than his other stuff but well written and brilliantly acted.
Yes it was really good, quite a bit different to his other stuff. One of the few things me and the wife agree on watching together

After Life
Series two is absolute *****. Gervais can't write characters that aren't mawkish or just trying too hard on his own. And lots of series two is basically sketches tied together with a shitty attempt at an emotional draw. I said it before but **** like that gets emperor's new clothed into being a masterpiece while something like 'Back to Life' just gets buried at the back of a drawer.

Just started watching Chernobyl (HBO) probably already been covered on this thread but if you're after some uplifting viewing this isn't it though it's very good. Proper nightmare stuff which I think I'm now having after the first two episodes 😁 Don't know how true it is that what actually happened but gets you thinking.

Just started watching Chernobyl (HBO) probably already been covered on this thread but if you're after some uplifting viewing this isn't it though it's very good. Proper nightmare stuff which I think I'm now having after the first two episodes 😁 Don't know how true it is that what actually happened but gets you thinking.
This was a fantastic series. Theres an upcoming scene later where they’re clearing radioactive material from a rooftop. There is original video on youtube taken at the time and it’s basically identical.

When’s season 2 out....?

Series two is absolute *****. Gervais can't write characters that aren't mawkish or just trying too hard on his own. And lots of series two is basically sketches tied together with a shitty attempt at an emotional draw. I said it before but **** like that gets emperor's new clothed into being a masterpiece while something like 'Back to Life' just gets buried at the back of a drawer.
That's a shame, and to be honest there were a few eye-roll moments in the first series, contrived scenes designed for Ricky to push his own ideology, but overall I really liked it. I think he's a brilliant actor but I also have a suspicion that Stephen Merchant was the real talent behind The Office and Extras as far as writing goes.

You know it's a true story? Apparently the drama stuck pretty closely to the facts of the case. You can read up on on Wikipedia or wherever. But yes, I agree it was a very good show, really well done.

I'd completely forgotten that it was based on a true story! Makes a nonsense of my comment that it was a bit far-fetched! Very good, though.

I thought Chernobyl was absolutely brilliant - best thing I'd seen for ages. There's a very good podcast called 'The Chernobyl Podcast' which covers how the series was researched and made. An incredible amount of work appears to have gone in to ensuring its accuracy.

Altered Carbon on Prime - I can recommend thoroughly if you like original, inventive sci-fi. Anyone fancy being rebooted in someone elses body after they die? Big budget, super stylish and Bladerunner-esque.

I've just finished my third full run-through of the seven series of the West Wing. As far as I'm concerned, it remains unparalleled even 20 years later. The best TV series ever.

More recently 'It's a Sin' on All 4. Eye opening, celebratory and totally heartbreaking six-parter about the emergence of London's gay scene in the 80s, and the horrors that follow as HIV/Aids run riot. It's brilliant. Casting, script, acting - all ace. Massive in scope too, from individual relationships to the role that intergenerational and systemic bigotry played in creating the perfect storm for the virus to flourish.

I love the telly!

I thought Chernobyl was absolutely brilliant - best thing I'd seen for ages. There's a very good podcast called 'The Chernobyl Podcast' which covers how the series was researched and made. An incredible amount of work appears to have gone in to ensuring its accuracy.

Yes this is awesome too. 'Bleak' doesn't go nearly far enough!

When we watched Chernobyl it was after a binge of every series of Friday Night Dinner so it was really hard to watch it without shouting out "sh*t it!", "pranny", and "crimble crumble".

Latest posts

Back