The 'Recommend me a TV series' thread

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The ending was in some ways a bit muted with what it could have been but it's hard to see how it could have continued along the line of earlier episodes.
I would have settled for anything other than two CG characters punching each other. They set up some interesting ideas and themes, blissful ignorance and running away from problems versus facing a difficult reality, what lengths would you go to for those you love, how much could you sacrifice for the good of others, facing the fact that you're now viewed as the bad guy, not the hero. There was enough there for an interesting character arc that didn't involve explosions and three baddies to fight. But maybe that's what people want and expect from a superhero show.

I watched Wandavision and it started off great, they did something interesting and unusual but finished with another silly CGI fight in the sky. Really disappointing that they didn't have a more clever way to wrap it up. I know it's a few years old now but I also started Narcos recently and rather enjoying it so far.

Narcos is brilliant. It's so well done.

Is anyone a fan of these Korean cop/prosecutor shows on Netflix? They are an 'acquired' taste! They feature what are typical Korean memes; low comedy (hopeless Batman-esque villains), relentless and shameless tear-jerking, and what seems to be a national obsession with corruption in high places. But I love them!

Started watching Scrubs again now it's on Disney+. It's a very funny show with some great characters in it.

Finished Behind Her Eyes on Netflix. A six-part (50 mins each) drama involving out of body experiences, night terrors, drugs, affairs and more.

It's well worth watching. Maybe wanders slightly in the middle, but worth sticking with - there's a nice little twist at the end.

Finished Behind Her Eyes on Netflix. A six-part (50 mins each) drama involving out of body experiences, night terrors, drugs, affairs and more.

It's well worth watching. Maybe wanders slightly in the middle, but worth sticking with - there's a nice little twist at the end.

We watched this and it was ok at best. I must have been the only one that saw the ending coming.

Just started Fargo series on Netflix. I've never watched the movie but enjoying the series so far only 3 episodes in! The humour is bone dry which I really like.

+1 to Matt Berry. Not watched 'Toast of London' but very much enjoy his work. 'IT Crowd' and 'Mighty Boosh' are excellent! He's even good in Spongebob SquarePants!

The film is great! And the TV series does an admirable job of maintaining the spirit and feel of the film, with new story-lines.

Just started Fargo series on Netflix. I've never watched the movie but enjoying the series so far only 3 episodes in! The humour is bone dry which I really like.

+1 to Matt Berry. Not watched 'Toast of London' but very much enjoy his work. 'IT Crowd' and 'Mighty Boosh' are excellent! He's even good in Spongebob SquarePants!

I loved Fargo (the TV series). Think there are 3 seasons and all brilliant. The last one with Ewan McGregor and David Thewlis (who steals the show), is terrific.

We've watched three episodes of season one of Dirk Gentley's Holistic Detective Agency. It's the weirdest thing I've ever seen- puts Dr WHO to shame. I certainly read the book decades ago, but I can't remember the story or find any points of contact with the series.
On Netfilx.

Last edited:
Been binging 'The Shield" on Prime. Old but never seen it before, just coming to the end of the 7th and final series, there will be a hole in my life now until we can find something to replace it.

1. Tinstar. All 3 seasons
2. Through her eyes
3. Black list. All seasons
4. Unforgotten. All seasons
5. Line of duty. All seasons.

I'm not a big watcher for these types of series but the few I have:

Breaking Bad - best of them all imo
Line of duty
The Mentalist
X files - earlier ones were excellent, started going downhill after the first 4 or 5 seasons though. Some of the effects look a bit 90s nowadays.
Locke and Key - 8/10
Hill House - 9/10

Last edited:
We've watched three episodes of season one of Dirk Gentley's Holistic Detective Agency. It's the weirdest thing I've ever soon- puts Dr WHO to shame. I certainly read the book decades ago, but I can't remember the story or find any points of contact with the series.
On Netfilx.
Absolutely adored this
Season 2 is great.
Shame it was cancelled

Finished The Terror. I enjoyed it, though found it slightly muddled at times. I also thought the sound work left a bit to be desired - unless my hearing's going.

Agree with the post above - Jared Harris (son of Richard) is excellent.

Hi.
For some reason Amazon have just offered me Prime FREE for six months, which I gratefully accepted.
Any recommendations please for Amazon Movies or tv shows?

Back