The 'Recommend me a TV series' thread

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The first season is excellent TV and pretty faithful to the book. Not an easy watch, though.

Really enjoyed season 2 of Lupin - good, old fashioned escapism that never took itself too seriously.

Judging by the ending, I don’t think season 3 will be far away.

Now started ‘Before we die’ - a Channel 4 drama. Only one part in, but off to a good start.

I haven't watched that, because it's a re-make, and I've seen the original series. A shame, cos I like Lesley Sharp, she was great in Scott and Bailey. But I wish they'd produce original material instead of remaking other shows. All the more so now in the Netflix era when more people have access to foreign-language TV. I imagine it'll be pretty good, though.

I had no idea it was a re-make. My wife pushed it on me, but it's actually pretty good. Some of the acting is a bit wooden, but the story is shaping up nicely.

GhostShip>

The original Scandi series was two seasons, but they only seem to have the second available now. I don't know whether the re-make covers all of it, or just one season, or what.

So much great European stuff on All4 in the Walter Presents section. Some of it makes BBC output look very lame. And it's all free of course. Recommend brilliant Belgian series The Twelve - courtroom drama and Code 37 Sex Crimes - quirky and at times humorous police series, Dutch series The Swingers - dark drama with humour at times, Gritty Spanish prison drama Locked Up. Supernatural Belgian drama Hotel Beau Sejour. And on BBC IPlayer you should still be able to get, in my opinion, the best police drama ever made, the Swedish/Danish classic, The Bridge.

So much great European stuff on All4 in the Walter Presents section. Some of it makes BBC output look very lame. And it's all free of course. Recommend brilliant Belgian series The Twelve - courtroom drama and Code 37 Sex Crimes - quirky and at times humorous police series, Dutch series The Swingers - dark drama with humour at times, Gritty Spanish prison drama Locked Up. Supernatural Belgian drama Hotel Beau Sejour. And on BBC IPlayer you should still be able to get, in my opinion, the best police drama ever made, the Swedish/Danish classic, The Bridge.

i've watched almost everything on Walter Presents!

i'm right with you on Code 37 - Sex Crimes, a much better series than the title might suggest, with likeable and believable characters. And the first couple of series at least of Locked Up are terrific. I just finished the Pleasure Principle, about murders committed in Czechia, Poland, and the Ukraine, which was quite decent. There are a lot of gems out there.

I wish I’d known that - I would much rather have watched the original. Apart from anything else, I love a Scandi drama!
Yes - Before we die in the UK remake was pretty formulaic and wooden, as someone else mentioned. original in Swedish was far better. What is it with BBC drama these days?

i've watched almost everything on Walter Presents!

i'm right with you on Code 37 - Sex Crimes, a much better series than the title might suggest, with likeable and believable characters. And the first couple of series at least of Locked Up are terrific. I just finished the Pleasure Principle, about murders committed in Czechia, Poland, and the Ukraine, which was quite decent. There are a lot of gems out there.
Thanks - will check out the Pleasure Principle. Have always loved Code 37 - started watching it because we had just been to Gent and got hooked.

Thanks - will check out the Pleasure Principle. Have always loved Code 37 - started watching it because we had just been to Gent and got hooked.

I take it it's set in Ghent? I love Ghent - I'm going to have to watch this!

PSYCHOIVILLE!!!
If you watched Inside no9 and liked it then it’s unmissable. I couldn’t stand league of gentlemen with its canned laughter but these guys are the smartest writers about I reckon.

Finished watching Lupin series 2 last night, absolutely brilliant and it's got Dave Myers from the Hairy Bikers playing the villain.😂

Latest posts

Back