The 'Recommend me a TV series' thread

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not a big lover of TV series, so when I do like something it has to be outstanding, and of anything I've ever seen truly the best of the best is the HBO series The Wire, surely it has been recommended already in this thread somewhere. The creator David Simon considers it as being one long 60 hour film, and when you watch it you can see what he means - amazing characters, acting, story, and based on true to life events.

The Wire is a cracking show, and if you enjoyed that, you'd probably also like this early precursor of it, which really took the US cop show to another level. Brilliantrly drawn caracters, the first few series were wonderful.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106028/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0
Though where you'd see it now I'm not sure; looks like some eps are available on Youtube.

I've been thinking of Stranger Things - would you recommend it?
I think Stranger Things has the most consistent level of quality in a TV series I've seen. As to whether you like it I guess that's subjective, but if you like Science Fantasy, D&D, Horror and a dose of 80's nostalgia then you should love it.

Has no-one mentioned Sherwood, on the BBC, yet? Late to it, and watching on i-player, but it's the best UK series in some time in my book.

Watching Series 2 of The Outlaws at the moment. I enjoyed Series 1 and thought Series 2 might not be up to the same standard but it is just as good. Some really good writing from Stephen Merchant with some interesting characters including one played by Christopher Walken. Nice to find a quirky comedy.

I've just started watching Hell on Wheels on FreeVee. It's a tad slow to begin with, but I'm really enjoying it now. Good if you like Westerns.

I've just started watching Hell on Wheels on FreeVee. It's a tad slow to begin with, but I'm really enjoying it now. Good if you like Westerns.

Watched that when it was on ITV4 (?). Really good series, I thought.

An oldie but i've just finished the Pacific, I watched some of it years ago but finished it just now, bit slow in places but the battle scenes are something else.

Latest posts

Back