The 'Recommend me a TV series' thread

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GhostShip

Reaction score
Just one episode of series 4 of The Americans left to watch before moving on to series 5.

For anyone that hasn't seen it, it's set during the cold war and is the story of two Russian agents living a 'normal' family life in America.

The pace has never dropped over four series and I've enjoyed every episode. Brilliant TV. Oh, and Keri Russell is absolutely gorgeous, which also helps.

Which TV series would you recommend?

Just one episode of series 4 of The Americans left to watch before moving on to series 5.

For anyone that hasn't seen it, it's set during the cold war and is the story of two Russian agents living a 'normal' family life in America.

The pace has never dropped over four series and I've enjoyed every episode. Brilliant TV. Oh, and Keri Russell is absolutely gorgeous, which also helps.

Which TV series would you recommend?

DADS ARMY Mrs pike looks great in them nut brown stockings thumb:

Underbelly - if it was American and not Australian it would be mentioned in the same death as The Sopranos and Boardwalk Empire IMO

Life in Pieces - Series 1 is better than Series 2 but this is one of my favourite comedies

If you're a fan of gentle British comedies, look out for The Detectorists. It's written by Mackenzie Crook and stars him and Toby Jones. Only two series, but there's talk of them making a third.

Highly recommended.

Watched this recently. There was a Christmas special after series 2 as well. Absolutely brilliant!

At the moment we're watching Little Boy Blue (ITV) and Born To Kill (Ch4) both quite harrowing but very well done so far.

On the look out for something new so will be interested as to what other folk come up with. Now our kids are sleeping a bit better I can stay awake for more than half an hour after they've gone to bed. Would like to do Game of Thrones at some point, maybe Breaking Bad too.

On the off chance you haven't watched it all The Sopranos is one of the greatest TV series ever made IMHO.

Graz.

Breaking Bad is another American show I watched. Once again because it was recommended on a radio show I was listening too. It's very good.
Just watching the spin off, Better Call Saul at the moment.

They really are the only three American shows I've watched in ages.

Watched this recently. There was a Christmas special after series 2 as well. Absolutely brilliant!

Wow! Great to hear that someone else has actually heard of/watched The Detectorists!

I loved it and you've reminded me that I need to dig out the Christmas special that I haven't watched.

If you have an interest in politics, I'd highly recommend Borgen. It's Danish so comes with subtitles, but that never spoilt my enjoyment of it. There are 3 seasons and they're all great. And Sidse Babett Knudsen is gorgeous.

So that's Underbelly, The Leftovers and The Nightshift on my list of things to watch.

Keep em' coming!

I watched Fleabag recently. It's BBC Three, so only available online, but it's very well done. A six-part comedy (though fairly dark in places).

Extremely edgy - for God's sake don't watch it if the kids are around!

Dont really do box sets myself. Never got into them. My wife watches all the Scandinavian murder programmes which can be quite dark

They are only dark for 6 months of the year and then they are light again!

Must admit I am a fan of these also. It's funny how similar the swedish/norwegian language is to Geordie dialect, they share a lot of words!

Back