The 'Recommend me a TV series' thread

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Without doubt, for quirky viewing - Professor T - on All4 box sets. Set in Antwerp, in Flemish & French with subtitles. 3 series.

I'd second this, dark with quirky humour plus you get the added benefit of being partially conversant in Flemish / Dutch by the time you get through the third series.

Finished season 5 of Peaky Blinders. Really enjoyed it and season 6 is on the way.

One part of White House Farm (ITV) to watch. Dramatisation of a true story - the murder of five members of the same family in Essex in 1985. I feel it could have been done in less than 6 episodes, but it's not bad.

Homeland returns to Channel 4 this coming Sunday (16th Feb) for its final season. At times it's been absolutely brilliant, but it's also struggled to maintain the pace in places. Always worth watching though.

27th March - Ozark is due to return to Netflix for season 3. If you haven't seen seasons 1 or 2, I'd highly recommend it. One of the best things I've seen for years and really looking forward to the new season.

Agree with all that has been said re breaking bad and better call saul.
Gomorrah is fantastic, but no good for learning italian since a lot of the language is a neapolitan dialect and it is shown on italy tv with subs.
Nobody has mentioned The West Wing. Never been beaten, simply brilliant.
First few series of Homeland were good but they now employ the same scriptwriters as Home and Away.

Just finished the first season of Evil. Found that very enjoyable.
Not sure if it's been mentioned before but Person of interest is a great series!

Just finished Westworld. Very good.

Also, been going through Lost again. Haven't seen this since it originally aired back in 2007/8. It has aged well, and is still good. Well worth it.

I'm sure it's already been mentioned, but Mr Robot.
One of the best series I've watched in a long time. Just finished the 4th & final season, and it's one of the few shows that really delivered in a satisfying way in the finale.

Another uptick for Breaking Bad/ Better Call Saul too, although if you haven't watched those yet, have you even got a TV?

Current binge is Inspector Montalbano. No big story arc, just entertaining

Finished The Pharmacist tonight, a four-part documentary on Netflix. It’s about the drug-related murder of a young man in Louisiana in 1999 and the subsequent work done by his father to trace the killer. The story then moves to opioid abuse, supported by some very dubious doctors and ultimately to the pharma company pushing the drugs out.

It’s a real eye-opener and I found it very interesting. The guy who loses his son is absolutely on a mission, which is entirely understandable and what he achieves is huge. Highly recommended.

Well behind on TV so most have probably watched it already but currently working our way through Line of Duty on iPlayer. Pretty good so far.

Missed so much due to having two kids who thankfully now go to bed early-ish and sleep all night, but when they were younger couldn't watch anything requiring any sort of attention span or the ability to stay awake for more than ten minutes.

Been on movies joy for about 18 months, watched a couple of the TV series wife watches some movies, surprised when she watched 1917

Also think The Expanse is worth a go. I'm at the end of the second series**. If you're saddened by the utter **** that was Picard or haven't finished vomiting from the woke, agendered ***** of Doctor Who this is more like the good political backbone that Babylon 5 turned into.

** I won't say 'season' and think anyone that does is weak, and a traitor to the crown.

Also think The Expanse is worth a go. I'm at the end of the second series**. If you're saddened by the utter **** that was Picard or haven't finished vomiting from the woke, agendered ***** of Doctor Who this is more like the good political backbone that Babylon 5 turned into.

** I won't say 'season' and think anyone that does is weak, and a traitor to the crown.
I haven't watched Dr Who since William Hartnell left.

I haven't watched Dr Who since William Hartnell left.
Wow. I've seen the first episode a few times over the years and really want to see more. We tried to get the first stuff on Kodi about a year ago and it was a mess. I've never seen any Patrick Troughton but it seems like he was really significant.

I imagine watching Doctor Who when it first started would have been amazing.

Wow. I've seen the first episode a few times over the years and really want to see more. We tried to get the first stuff on Kodi about a year ago and it was a mess. I've never seen any Patrick Troughton but it seems like he was really significant.

I imagine watching Doctor Who when it first started would have been amazing.
From the little I remember Dr Who was quite ground breaking, but programmes like that were restricted by cardboard sets and black and white tv. TBH I was never a big fan and neither were my two sons in later years.
The programme that really grabbed people's attention from earlier than the first Dr Who was Quatermass, which was more targeted at adults. I do remember I was allowed to stay up and watch a few and they were really scary at the time, but the sets were even more rubbish but that didn't seem to matter because there was nothing to compare it to. Remember that this was a time when it was a treat to watch a film on tv, and many shown at the time were from the 1930s. But one film I do remember in particular was Each Dawn I Die (1939) with James Cagney and George Raft, brilliant film.
Anyway thats enough rambling, time to dig up some of the veg plot and plant some peas and spinach athumb..

I've just cancelled my netflix subscription and signed up to disney plus so I can watch The Mandelorian. There's also a number of the marvel films and a couple of star wars films I havent seen.

The thing I like about most of these streaming services is you can cancel and you're not locked into a contract. So you can just watch one series you may be interested in, then cancel

Back