The 'Recommend me a TV series' thread

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't believe this thread hasn't been commented on since the start of lockdown!

Anyway, I've been totally hooked on Vikings (Prime). I know I'm late to the party on this one but it's really really good. Very fast paced, great action/battles, some very good characters also. As the seasons go on and the budget increases some of the action set-pieces get pretty incredible. Currently working my way through the second half of season 4 out of 6.

Finished Ozark season 3. Brilliant TV - one of the best shows I've seen for ages.

Enjoyed seasons 1 & 2 of The Sinner, so naturally watched season 3. Boy, does it get dark! I really like the main character though, played by Bill Pullman, so would recommend the series for anyone that hasn't watched it. Season 3 is a little far-fetched, but it's still very well done.

'State of Happiness' was in the Saturday night BBC Four foreign slot. A Norwegian series about the beginning of the oil boom in Stavanger. I absolutely loved this - it had a real charm about it and really caught the period. Subtitled, but because the Americans move in to bring their oil expertise to the party, much of it is spoken in English anyway. Highly recommended.

Watched Cardinal, a Canadian detective series on the BBC. Fairly run-of-the-mill, but nicely done - and the scenery is spectacular!

Currently three parts into The Keepers (Netflix documentary). When I started it, I thought it was a fairly simple cold case murder, but episode 2 suddenly takes a different turn into the darkness of child abuse. A nun was murdered in Baltimore in 1969 and thanks to the tireless work of a few of the abused, the full picture starts to emerge. A large number of young girls appear to have been sexually abused by one or more of the Catholic priests at a school, with allegations against police officers, politicians and local business owners. It's not an easy watch, but I'm hooked and am now desperate for those who are guilty to get their comeuppance! I'll post back once I've finished it.

Hi

I think lots will have missed this one as I don't think it was ever broadcast on BBC (it was made by/for the online BBC Three channel) ... the series of short interactions of a married (but estranged) couple, meeting up in the pub before heading over to the marriage counsellors over the road called State of the Union (link) is very watchable ... it even has a brewing interest, as a pint (or more) of London Pride is consumed in each short (they're only 10-15 mins) episode athumb..

Cheers, PhilB

Enjoyed seasons 1 & 2 of The Sinner, so naturally watched season 3. Boy, does it get dark! I really like the main character though, played by Bill Pullman, so would recommend the series for anyone that hasn't watched it. Season 3 is a little far-fetched, but it's still very well done.
We’ve just started season 2 of this, it is excellent isn’t it. Bill Pullman is great as the detective

Finished Ozark season 3. Brilliant TV - one of the best shows I've seen for ages.

Totally agree with what you say about both Ozark and The Sinner, they're cracking pieces of TV. Good to see that Ozark has been confirmed for a 4th season.

'Blood' on Channel 5 (My5 on catchup). We've just finished the second season. I think this went under the radar because it was on Channel 5. It was recommended to me by a friend. The main character is played by Adrian Dunbar (Hastings from the line of duty) and on the surface it seems like a family drama exploring relationships between him and his wife and daughters, but this psychological drama has more twists and turns than a twisty turny thing. The first season is gripping and I didn't see how they could do a second season, but I think the second is even better than the first.

The Truth About the Harry Quebert Affair, was a good all round mini serial with Patrick Dempsey.
Taboo, Tom Hardy few years old but a really great tv show set in the dock area's of London, bbc is planning a 2nd season.
Any Louis Theroux documentary, Weird Weekends are a must watch.
Wolf Creek the tv show.

Really liked Ozarks and The Sinner.

The title and synopsis make it sound like “girly *****”, but Workin’ Moms on Netflix is great. It’s a slightly edgy Canadian sitcom about a group of mums from a mother and baby group.

Very cleverly written and very funny, gross-out humour in places. Probably rubbish comparisons but it’s a bit like Girls only more relatable/realistic and all of the characters have settled down, or the TV series the film Bridesmaids wishes it was!

We’ve binge watched the first series and a half since Saturday.

Last edited:
The Secrets She Keeps is pretty gripping and worth a watch. The second instalment was on last night on BBC1. I believe there are six parts to it. On again next Monday I think.

"Back to Life" on iplayer. Quirky, wonderful comedy with Daisy Haggard and some of the best colour grading I've ever seen. Don't look up the plot, just watch an episode and see if it's for you. I was lucky enough to just stumble into it after finishing "Don't Forget the Driver" and it was like wow.

It annoys me that something like this gets no publicity and stuff like "After Life" which is such an incoherent mawkish mess that's just ok gets called a masterpiece.

Reactions: gar
If anyone has NOWTV entertainment, I would strongly recommend the below:

Vinyl - dark and thrilling take on Newyork music scene in the 80's
Gomorrah - brutal mafia series, makes Sopranos look soft.

I know this much is true - very dark (you seeing a theme here?) drama that will emotionally exhaust you. Not easy watching TV, but won't let you take your eyes off the screen. The lead actor also plays his own twin brother in the series, which sounds like a massive gimic, but really isn't.

True detective - 3 seasons, each one with different characters and story, but all 3 are great. The 3rd season was my least favourite, but is still a top watch.

Finally, the series "the night of", gripping thriller that is very rewarding. You'll want to shout at the TV, but only in a good way.

At the moment, I'm watching "The Loudest Voice" about the creation of the modern American news network.

All of them are not easy watching material, but when they take in your attention is paid back a hundred times over.

Cheers, Nick

Finished The Keepers on Netflix tonight (see my post above). I was hoping the last part (episode 7) wouldn’t be a let down - and it wasn’t. An absolutely damming verdict on the Catholic Church and a truly sorry trail of people abused, ignored and let down. As with any cold case from the 1960s, people have grown old and died yet that somehow just added to the story.

It’s pretty bleak and disturbing in places, but if you like a good documentary, I’d highly recommend this.

"Back to Life" on iplayer. Quirky, wonderful comedy with Daisy Haggard and some of the best colour grading I've ever seen. Don't look up the plot, just watch an episode and see if it's for you. I was lucky enough to just stumble into it after finishing "Don't Forget the Driver" and it was like wow.

It annoys me that something like this gets no publicity and stuff like "After Life" which is such an incoherent mawkish mess that's just ok gets called a masterpiece.
Back to life! Brilliant .
Thanks for the tip off.

Just started 'Evil Genius' on Netflix last night. It's a documentary about a 2003 bank robbery in the US, where the robber was wearing a collar bomb around his neck. The Police arrested him near the bank and hand cuffed him - then noticed the collar bomb and stood well back. The robber sat on the ground pleading his innocence and saying that someone had fitted the bomb to his neck and he had been given a map and a set of clues that would lead him to the key to take off the bomb. As the Police trained their weapons on him, the bomb went off, killing him instantly.

I've no idea where it goes from here, but I've honestly never seen anything like it before. Only four parts (45 mins each), so will be back very soon to give my verdict. Gripping stuff, so far.

Just started 'Evil Genius' on Netflix last night.
OMG - I'd forgotten about that. We used to watch that on chicken wing and get blasted night. I remember it being completely bonkers but can't remember how it ends because of said blastedness. I remember it has characters that make Tiger King look like aristocrats.

Latest posts

Back