the refinement of decline

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

divrack

Regular.
Reaction score
so, tired of producing delicious beer, I've decided to abandon good practice entirely in my last batch and see what happens.
so, instead of filtering everything and airating well with a nice big starter I just chucked everything into the fermenter (40ltr)and added two smack packs (London iii) that had been left out for a few days.
four days and still nothing.
five days I pitch some old Burton slurry
almost a week passes and it's finally alive...
smells like Black currant stew weirdly, not unpleasant.
if this batch is any good there is no god!

curious what rules people flout with no Ill effect.

After watching David Heaths video on recent dried yeast research I decided not to rehydrate the yeast for the brew I did yesterday. Just after checking it this morning and it is bubbling away nicely.

I have not underpitched for a lkong time but recently brewed an IPA and realised i only had a third of a pack left. I threw it in hoping for the best and the lid never even bulged. It did ferment though in the end so going to have a taste tonight and see if its worth kegging. I suspect it could be oxidised.
I also don't trust smak packs as had some that never swelled.

It's interesting the thread is pitched in a negative way, that altering best practice is a degenerative step. I would argue that the greater the understanding of the science behind brewing, the safer it is to step away from the safety net of best practice without any ill effects.

@BeerCat Smack packs can be pitched without activating, they are no different to Whitelabs vials or sachets when unactictivated. Activation is only supposed to reduce lagtime.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back