The shiny bowls of £9.99

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Lidl have three SS bowls for sale at £9.99 the set.

The sizes are:
  • 5.3 litres
  • 3.5 litres
  • 1.6 litres.
https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/Non-Food-Offers.htm?articleId=10650

I've just got a set to replace the plastic ones that are cracked and split due to being dropped and otherwise mistreated. I reckon that the set will hold the full quota of +/- 4.5kg grain for what for me is a normal brew.

Enjoy!:gulp:

I use a 5 litre bucket and cant get more than 2.5kg in

Er .... there are three of them and as far as I can calculate 5.3 + 3.5 + 1.6 = 10.4 litres.

Using the above quoted figures that adds up to 5.2kg ...:wave:... and I said "I reckon that the set will hold the full quota of +/- 4.5kg grain for what for me is a normal brew.":thumb:

So, I'm not sure exactly what point you are trying to make!:gulp:

I have a plastic box that could probably fit 10kg or more...

So?

I've got a plastic dustbin that can hold 125 litres but I still use bowls to weigh my grain in!:wave:At the moment, for a mere £9.99 I have enough stainless steel bowls to replace the cracked and broken plastic ones that I have used (and abused) for the last few years!

BTW, how do you manage to balance a 10 litre box on an accurate set of scales? Using a box that big would cover up the figures on my own scales.:gulp:

Er .... there are three of them and as far as I can calculate 5.3 + 3.5 + 1.6 = 10.4 litres.

Using the above quoted figures that adds up to 5.2kg ...:wave:... and I said "I reckon that the set will hold the full quota of +/- 4.5kg grain for what for me is a normal brew.":thumb:

So, I'm not sure exactly what point you are trying to make!:gulp:

That he has a 5l bin that he can't fit more than 2.5kg in

Ah...didn't realise the bowls were for weighing out the grain in! I use a knackered old plastic bowl for that! Then tip the grain into my big plastic box as my scales will only go up to 3 kg.....thus rendering the big box useless in that respect.
I would like to add that the stainless bowls would look the part in anyone's brewing set up.

Ah...didn't realise the bowls were for weighing out the grain in! I use a knackered old plastic bowl for that! Then tip the grain into my big plastic box as my scales will only go up to 3 kg.....thus rendering the big box useless in that respect.
I would like to add that the stainless bowls would look the part in anyone's brewing set up.
Would one of them double as a tin (stainless) hat?

You could wear one whilst ducking into the brew fridge to check the blow off tube to fend off any glancing blows or misplaced hand tools...

You must have been in my garage!:wave:One of the things I hate is that the area I brew in is so small that if I knock something over it automatically takes three or four things with it.

I am currently waiting to collect a Trial Jar from my local Wilko shop. Its predecessor suffered terminal damage last week when it got knocked off the bench and got stood on; possibly because it didn't have a stainless steel bowl to dodge under.:gulp:

BTW, how do you manage to balance a 10 litre box on an accurate set of scales? Using a box that big would cover up the figures on my own scales.
Nobody likes a large bowl obstruction.

Last edited:
Back