The truth about engine stop start systems

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
So its not about saving the planet its about cheating the MPG figures, i have driven a car with it and found it very annoying in town and as the bloke below says some manufacturers have decided to take away the choice to disable it.

One of the most glaring examples of this carmaker agenda self-serving design is the auto engine shutdown and restart system. You drive along. Stop at a red light. The engine automatically shuts down. Light goes green, you start lifting off the brake, and the engine kicks back into life, as if by magic. We’re talking about that. Systems like Mazda’s iStop - and seemingly 100 other proprietary names for similar ******** technology. I get questions about this all the time. So here it is: The truth about ******** auto engine shutdown and restart systems.

Haven't watched the vid yet but right from the off I thought that they can't be doing the battery / timing belt etc much good. This saving the planet malarkey has gotten out of hand.

This system also doesn't work if the car isn't up to temp. I really don't like it on the Mrs Nissan,had problems with it.

Just watched it and every word he says is true,only ever driven one stop start tech car which was a courtesy car and Hated it and would never buy one no matter what make or model

Got it on my Panda twin air. Was a novelty at first but I leave it off now. I'm reliably informed that the starter motor and battery are more substantial to cope with the additional strain though

Cheers. Tom

Had battery problems and brake issues plus "computer" issues on the Nissan quashqai....all related to the stop start..under warranty so sorted. Complete nonsense on a 20k motor....I like the car but dunno if I'd get another...had two previous without it which were fine.

I'm reliably informed that the starter motor and battery are more substantial to cope with the additional strain though

From what he says in the video once the engine is warm it takes almost no effort to get the engine running again once stopped and on some cars the engine is stopped just before top dead centre so it makes it even easier to start so wear and tear on the starter motor etc is minimal.

Had battery problems and brake issues plus "computer" issues on the Nissan quashqai....all related to the stop start..under warranty so sorted. Complete nonsense on a 20k motor....I like the car but dunno if I'd get another...had two previous without it which were fine.

Can you disable it Clint?

Got it on our doblo - I usually disable it but even when it's not disabled half the time you get a message saying restart is not available...
Love our doblo - best car we've ever owned. Shame you can't get on/off road tyres for it. But it has tons of carrying capacity and will tow a trailer with 20 sheep in it, and still does mid 40s mpg.

So its not about saving the planet its about cheating the MPG figures, i have driven a car with it and found it very annoying in town and as the bloke below says some manufacturers have decided to take away the choice to disable it.

One of the most glaring examples of this carmaker agenda self-serving design is the auto engine shutdown and restart system. You drive along. Stop at a red light. The engine automatically shuts down. Light goes green, you start lifting off the brake, and the engine kicks back into life, as if by magic. We’re talking about that. Systems like Mazda’s iStop - and seemingly 100 other proprietary names for similar ******** technology. I get questions about this all the time. So here it is: The truth about ******** auto engine shutdown and restart systems.

Ahh john cadogan. I've been following him for a while now. He has some great videos on you tube. Theres a good video about him explaining about the 3 crashes you have in a car crash. (The third crash being inside yourself)

Got this system on my CC. In normal driving, it rarely kicks in, as I don't tend to rev it hard enough to get sufficient charge in the battery for the car to decide to shut down when idle. But when it does shut down, I don't find it invasive, I just have to remember to allow half a second before mashing the accelerator, I'm too old now to want to do grand prix starts at the lights.

I have also noticed that if you stall the engine, just dip the clutch and it restarts itself.

I have it it a daily use works van.Drives me nuts. I've started leaving the aircon on so it has a demand on the engine.this stood it cutting out. It's a contradiction though as I use more fuel using the aircon to prevent a fuel saving tool activating. It would be good to have a one use button to disable it.but you have to push the button every time the ignition is cycled. So for a van driver like me that's just not practical.

I did look at knocking it off but some say you can and some say you can't...nothing in the manual as far as I can see.

Is this your model clint?

With S/S module it works like there was S/S switch and no button installed in your car, by means that it memorizes the last S/S state and keeps it always as left selected by the driver. How it works: - If you wish to keep S/S disabled, when ignition is ON or the engine is running, just press S/S button once in order to disable Stop/Start. The module will remember your preference and will deactivate S/S feature 5 seconds right after each engine start. - If you decide to keep S/S activated and turn this mod OFF (as it was designed by the manufacturer), just press S/S button once again to activate Stop/Start (ignition need to be ON or engine must be running). The module will remember your preference and will not act and thus S/S feature will remain functional i.e. active on each engine restart.

In the video he says you do not actually save anything by having stop start on or its a minimal amount if you do.
ive allways said this, infact i believe were at a loss from the start. software research..extra money. normal battery £100 s/s battery £200 ,, allso things like, alternator is heavy duty along with the starter motor,extra switches and wiring looms all cost extra money to start with,money we dont recoup from s/s

It's all cobblers. They're running out of ideas to sell cars. Does anyone buy a s/s equipped car on the premise that it contributes to lower overall emissions of Bad Things and gives them a self-righteous air of smugness that they are doing their bit to stall the demise of a planetary ecosystem etc etc? Lol!! Ought to concentrate on making user-friendly ( ie you can fix em yourself ) cars that don't need a computer to work. Technology sucks.

It's all cobblers. They're running out of ideas to sell cars.

There are so many things on cars that we never had nor need and they are adding to the things that can and probably will go wrong and are no doubt expensive to fix, why do we need automatic lights or wipers are we incapable of deciding if its too dark or raining, push button start on cars where you still have to put the key in the dash :doh:automatic breaking and that annoying lane change ********, if you cannot decide if its too dark, its too wet, cannot keep in your own lane without drifting and need your car to brake because you are too close to the one in front you shouldn't be in the fecking car in the first place.

Latest posts

Back