The US's only Trappist brewery is closing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thought this was rather sad.
Belgians are one of my top-two favorites, along with stouts. I had never heard of that brewery before now but it's too bad.
I still see eyes light up with most people I know at the mention of a DIPA or NEIPA. While I appreciate the effort and creativity, I don't get the popularity as these types sort of cover up the taste of beer.

Belgians are one of my top-two favorites, along with stouts. I had never heard of that brewery before now but it's too bad.
I still see eyes light up with most people I know at the mention of a DIPA or NEIPA. While I appreciate the effort and creativity, I don't get the popularity as these types sort of cover up the taste of beer.

I am a "hop head", so I love a good IPA.. The problem I find is most American style IPAs taste horrible. Locally, they are dry hopping with hop pellets and it tastes just wrong....

According to their website, they made 3 kinds of IPA: Our Beers - Spencer Brewery
I had one of them, it was good. As were their Trappiste Ale and Imperial Stout. A shame they've gone. My gut feeling is they diluted their brand with the craft style beers. And weren't 'Belgian' enough in style for the Trappiste beer consumers that buy imported trappiste Ales. Perhaps should have stuck to the core three Trappiste Ales.

I believe the US has some quirky state by state export rules though, which might restrict access to the entire domestic market. Probably easier to import Belgian Trappistes.

Last edited:
Enjoyed their Trappist ale. Their Quad (Monks' Reserve) looked fantastic but never got to try it.

Agreed with @Sadfield on the brand comments and effect the introduction of IPAs had on this. I suppose it made sense to try and brew something to rival the popular styles, but looks like this may have been to their detriment.

Their brewhouse looked top notch so wonder who will pick that up?

I am a "hop head", so I love a good IPA.. The problem I find is most American style IPAs taste horrible. Locally, they are dry hopping with hop pellets and it tastes just wrong....

Which IPA's are you referring too as I have not found this to be the case with pellets if anything you have more control and potency and they hold their freshness for much longer if stored properly.

I'm not saying whole hops aren't good.

I have had some terrible IPA's over here in the states mainly due to the beer being imbalanced/bad recipe and just bitter **** or I did not like the particular hop they were using.

Latest posts

Back