The White Grape Juice shortage thread .

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
There have been a lot of posts about the lack of white grape juice in our supermarkets, today I received a reply from Tesco to an enquiry about their stocks of white grape juice, unfortunately it has been discontinued.

Update.
ASDA
have contacted me and explained they stock on demand and apparently in some areas demand is so low they have stopped stocking it, she said she will bring this matter to the buyers attention in our area and we should see it on the shelves again, if you cannot get hold of it in your local ASDA give them a call.

If you find some in your area or on-line let us know in this thread.

They do have red grape juice -

IDShot_225x225.jpg

Last edited:
I am waiting for a reply from ASDA but having searched their website its looking doubtful, they stock red grape juice and some with added juice (see below)

I have used this 100% red grape juice with a litre of apple juice and it makes a great wine.

ASDA Red Grape Juice

5051413484562_280_IDShot_3.jpeg

Ingredients

Red Grape Juice not from Concentrate (100%) .

-----------------------------------------------------------

ASDA Grape Strawberry Kiwi Juice

5050854830976_280_IDShot_3.jpeg

Ingredients

Red Grape Juice not from Concentrate (70%) , Strawberry Pue (20%) , Kiwi Pure (10%)

----------------------------------------------------------

ASDA Grape Raspberry Pomegranate Juice Drink

5051413392768_280_IDShot_3.jpeg

Ingredients

White Grape Juice not from Concentrate (39%) , Red Grape Juice not from Concentrate (15%) , Pomegranate Juice not from Concentrate (10%) , Raspberry Pure (5.0%) , Vitamin C and Water.

Last edited:
Sainsbury's dont have any 100% white grap juice but do have -

0000001545968_L.jpeg

Red Grape Juice, Not From Concentrate 1L

Buy any 3 for £4.00

Red Grape Juice not from concentrate (100%).

Update.

ASDA have contacted me and explained they stock on demand and apparently in some areas demand is so low they have stopped stocking it, she said she will bring this matter to the buyers attention in our area and we should see it on the shelves again, if you cannot get hold of it in your local ASDA give them a call.

BruinTuns posted today -

I was in Sainsbury's yesterday and they have white grape juice and peach juice drink, 25% WGJ, 15% peach. On offer at 3 X 1l cartons for £3.
Not a perfect WGJ substitute but sounds delicious and as soon as I have a free dj I'll be getting some.
As an aside, they also had a decent range of pure juices including Clementine, Apple and Mango, Orange Mango & Passionfruit, Tropical and Apple & Pear.

Have had the same problem finding white grape however as above I have just mixed apple and the asda 100% red grape juice and it seems to be going well glad someone else that is seasoned has done so as this is only my second go, however my first turned out really well so its upwards and onwards from here hoping that half and half apple and red grape will come out like a rose ,we will see 😂

hoping that half and half apple and red grape will come out like a rose
ASDA bottled red grape juice (which i am now using) is a bit darker than the carton red grape juice i have used from other supermarkets, the finished wine also turns out darker. (see picture below)

Last edited:
Well all
Before it appeared in this thread I had trouble locating white grape juice so like chippy before this part of the thread was seen decided to try Asda pure red grape juice and mixed it with equal apple juice.

This is only my second attempt but its turned out great but much lighter in colour than yours chippy and I can't explain that, what went in is as follows, oh this is 5 gallons (25 litres) putting all this below in case anyone can explain the difference

5 litres 100% apple juice
5 litres 100% pure fresh red grape juice Asda as in this thread
3 tsps Young's yeast
5 tsps Young's yeast nutrient
3.5 kg sugar melted into hot water
Also in the water the contents off 10 tea bags brewed for 20 minutes

Kicked of like the last and was still fermenting at 4 weeks checked on hydrometer all good
Stabiliser in with 5 Camden tablets
Liquid finings this time and clear in 3 days left another 3 now ready to bottle and tastes great so really happy , what I can't explain is the difference in colour density between mine and chippys (although I do have lots to learn )
Its turned out great and ready to move on further , loving this and so are the freinds .

The big question is same ingredients as in the fruit juices so what could effect the colour, not perturbed because it turned out great but would like to know as on a learning curve here

The big question is same ingredients as in the fruit juices so what could effect the colour, not perturbed because it turned out great but would like to know as on a learning curve here

I have to hold my hand up, its not my wine just a picture i found that was similar in colour, the carton RGJ i used to use is a lot lighter when finished and no where near as nice tasting.

WOW that is dear. (did you see what i did there)

Red Grape Juice seems in bountiful supply and i honestly believe it makes a better tasting wine with a litre of apple juice or another red type of juice, definitely worth a try if you cannot get WGJ.

My current favourite is ASDA bottled RGJ 3 for £3 -

Last edited:
Anyone know how much WGJ concentrate would be the equivalent of a litre of WGJ for making WOW?

California has been "in" drought for 3 years, although they did get some rain a week or two ago.

France was too wet apparently, and the white grapes suffered. The red not so much, something to do with being picked later.

Its still out there, readily available, just that some retailers think it commands a premium now.

Latest posts

Back