The worst thing about corny kegs....

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oneflewover

Landlord.
Reaction score
....is that you can't see when they're almost empty. I went out to the garage gagging for a pint of stout only to be able to pour a third of a pint. Gutted! Can't believe I've finished it.

But then the second worst thing about corny kegs is that it's so easy to pour a pint, take a good long swig and top it up, whilst convincing yourself that you've only had the one.

I'll have to get brewing, loved having that stout on tap 😔

I'm a corny newbie and was thinking about this the other day. Logic tells me that I should perhaps have a piece of paper next to my keg to cross off pints as I work my way through, but I know that isn't going to be used after 2 or 3 pints in on an evening.

I'm a corny newbie and was thinking about this the other day. Logic tells me that I should perhaps have a piece of paper next to my keg to cross off pints as I work my way through, but I know that isn't going to be used after 2 or 3 pints in on an evening.
You tell yourself that you're only going to have the one but I find it almost impossible not to 'top up' the glass - sometimes having drained it 🤪

I’m a Newbie. I’m using bottles. My first 2 brews are more or less gone already. Too nice and too easily drank. 3rd beer conditioning and a Cider in the FV. 2 more kits ordered. I’m going to build up a healthy stash now. Have 4 brews ready to go and then get stuck into them.
Even with bottles and knowing how many I have left I still ran out. My neighbour made a healthy dent in both brews too. He is barred until the stash is ready.

Lift it up and you can tell. Or buy electronic scales weight the corny empty and then subtract this from the gross Weight. Remember 1 litre of water weighs 1 kg.

Lift it up and you can tell. Or buy electronic scales weight the corny empty and then subtract this from the gross Weight. Remember 1 litre of water weighs 1 kg.
Thanks. I knew it was getting low, it was just that heart-sinking moment when it ran out mid-pour. I'm sure it'll get easier to bear the pain with time ☹️

....is that you can't see when they're almost empty. I went out to the garage gagging for a pint of stout only to be able to pour a third of a pint. Gutted! Can't believe I've finished it.

I've attached a simple calculator. It's not perfect but is certainly better than guessing.

Attachments

• Keg Calculator.xls
    19 KB · Views: 66

This is pretty much what I do though with a white board marker on my keg fridge door. Still sometimes get kegs running out a little sooner than I'd thought though due to alcohol induced forgetfulness when updating the tally after another pint.

Back