The worst thing about corny kegs....

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Colin came good.

20210227_125013.jpg

Cornies just about fit sidexside once lifted a couple of cm to allow for the moulding on the door surround.

I kegged this morning via closed pressure transfer, so easy.

Only mistake I make is I brew 28l so end up having to bottle. Bottling those few litres took much longer than the kegging, so before I keg again I am adding a 10l keg to the collect

I had an idea and would appreciate your thoughts.

I need to work out where / how I'm going to route the gas line from the reg and poke holes in the fridge. And mount the taps and all that faff.

But . . .

I dont need to do all that to carb in the corny, right?

I could just clean one of the kegs, sanitise, transfer beer, hook up to the CO2 and leave it at ambient in the garage.

And then sort out the gas lines and taps in to the fridge at my leisure . . . . and then just disconnect, reconnect the keg inside the fridge, chill and serve.

Edit. I also only brew 11 litre batches at present, so two other questions.

It's ok to have 11 litres carbing in a 19 litre keg?

Would it be beneficial to put it on its side to increase the surface area for carbing?

Cheers

Leave you keg up right, here is a chart for co2 pressure and temp.It shows you what pressure to set your reg to get the desired carb at different temps.

Attachments

• forcecarbchart.jpg
    forcecarbchart.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 57
I had an idea and would appreciate your thoughts.

I need to work out where / how I'm going to route the gas line from the reg and poke holes in the fridge. And mount the taps and all that faff.

But . . .

I dont need to do all that to carb in the corny, right?

I could just clean one of the kegs, sanitise, transfer beer, hook up to the CO2 and leave it at ambient in the garage.

And then sort out the gas lines and taps in to the fridge at my leisure . . . . and then just disconnect, reconnect the keg inside the fridge, chill and serve.

Edit. I also only brew 11 litre batches at present, so two other questions.

It's ok to have 11 litres carbing in a 19 litre keg?

Would it be beneficial to put it on its side to increase the surface area for carbing?

Cheers
Yes you can just carb in the garage and sort the rest out later. You'll use a bit more CO2 with only 11L but no biggy. Make sure you purge the keg with CO2 before transfer and 'burp' it a couple of times after

Back