There's good news.... and bad newsss

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lowrider

Reaction score
The good news: My Mangrove Jacks Juicy Session IPA has been sat in its bottles, conditioning in the garage since 18 Nov. I could wait now longer and tried a bottle this evening. The good news is that it is good, very good. I am well pleased!

The bad news: I made a right mess of pouring it out of the bottle so only got about 100 ml out cleanly... then realised what I had done as I saw the sediment mix enthusiastically with what was clear beer, mostly ruined before it left the bottle....

Are there any tips as to clear pouring/extraction from bottles to maximise my harvest?

With thanks

You will need to pour carefully to ensure it doesn't glug the air into the bottle. I keep an eye on the beer inside the bottle as I pour as you can see the sediment making its way towards the neck as you near the end so know when to stop.

Bottle choice can help too. I find that the magners bottles seem to help with reducing chances of the dreaded glug, as do the St Austell brewery bottles, due to the neck shape.

BrewMeHappy has covered it. Pour it really carefully and slowly - bottle and glass at an angle. If you can get some light behind the bottle, you’ll see the yeast coming down the bottle in a white clump. Just make sure this doesn’t make its way into your glass. If you’re careful, you’ll end up with a perfect pint - it sounds like the beer itself is good! The Juicy Session IPA is a cracking pint - enjoy!

No, it does not. a crisp hiss when opening but not lively that that.
That's good. In my experience, bits of hop in the bottle can cause the sediment to rise so put dry hops in a bag and cold crash before bottling. Finings, too, soften the yeast deposit and cause it to destabilise when pouring. Apart from that, as said above, a steady hand is what you need.

Last edited:
If you're worried about losing beer to the sediment, first decant into a large jug (~2 L) leaving the sediment in the bottle. Then you can pour into your glass at your leisure.

You will need to pour carefully to ensure it doesn't glug the air into the bottle. I keep an eye on the beer inside the bottle as I pour as you can see the sediment making its way towards the neck as you near the end so know when to stop.

Bottle choice can help too. I find that the magners bottles seem to help with reducing chances of the dreaded glug, as do the St Austell brewery bottles, due to the neck shape.
I collected a load of St Austell bottles over Christmas (I have a weakness for Proper Job!), but I could not get the label glue off the bottle, I tried a soaking, using a label removing chemical, and even tried baking them. How have you managed to clean them off?

I collected a load of St Austell bottles over Christmas (I have a weakness for Proper Job!), but I could not get the label glue off the bottle, I tried a soaking, using a label removing chemical, and even tried baking them. How have you managed to clean them off?
In the past when I was short of bottles I used hot water and a scraper, then neat Fairy Liquid on a stainless steel scrubber, washing that now and again too. They are the worst - same with Wadsworth (who apparently contract brew the Proper Job). I recycle these bottles now.

In the past when I was short of bottles I used hot water and a scraper, then neat Fairy Liquid on a stainless steel scrubber, washing that now and again too. They are the worst - same with Wadsworth (who apparently contract brew the Proper Job). I recycle these bottles now.

Brewdog ones used to be an absolute pain to get off and the only thing I found to work was WD40, metal scourer and elbow grease. Just give them a good wash afterwards because it stinks.

Last edited:

Id need to check but I think they are the plastic labels on their bottles aren't they. From memory after I peeled the label off it was a quick minute or two with a wire scouring pad to get the glue off.

+1 for Proper Job anyway, it is a favourite of mine too.

As Clint said though, you could just leave them on which is probably the case for half my bottles anyway.

I struggled with one, successfully, but it was nowhere to near worth the effort.
Start a new trend by giving them a coat of bituminous paint, label and all, would be my approach next time.
Now that's a proper job! :laugh8:

I assume you collected them empty - or what did you do with the contents?

Latest posts

Back